Page 71 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
    Images
    I was out a few weekends ago off trail in the Birkhead Wilderness but forgot to take a picture for this thread. This weekend I was in the Badin Lake region of the Uwarrie NF. I was expecting lows of 31 and really didn't think it would hit freezing. WRONG. I had my temperature logger with me. I was in the 30's before sunset, freezing before midnight and hit 24F before the sun came up.

I was reasonably toasty in the hammock but I was not dressed to do anything first thing that morning. Still had a good time. I tanked up the water bottles and found a fairly level area partway up a small lobe of a bigger slope.
    January.jpg

Hammock
    Mana Outdoors dbl. 10.8ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Outdoors
    Insulation
    UGQ(10* UQ,30* TQ)
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Dutch
    Hang this weekend. January done!

January makes 7/7 for me. Not the coldest night but I was able to do a little experimenting. My warmest topquilt (Katabatic Gear Palisade) is only rated to 30 deg. F and it has worked well for me down to about that temperature. I have a nice sleeping bag for lower temps but a quilt is much nicer for me to deal with in the hammock. Instead of springing for a cold weather quilt, I got a multi-purpose quilt to help the situation without being too pricey and to fill some other gaps at the same time. Enter, Loco Libre's Jalapeno Pepper Topquilt. I went for the 3.6 Apex since that should extend my existing quilt down pretty far and be a nice light warm weather option for summer. The quilts seemed to layer well without compressing the down of the inner layer. I stayed nice and warm with temps dipping to 21 degrees with periods of light breeze. As an added bonus, the synthetic quilt offered protection from condensation as well. It didn't snow during the night but after I got up it warmed up and we got a little dump, so I included a picture of that for fun. IMG_8383.jpgIMG_8397.jpgIMG_8401.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Henessey/Dutchware
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch straps
    2 hammocks 1 tarp.jpg I'm in, not sure if the January picture will upload or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member ChucksOrangeDream's Avatar
    Hammock
    HickoryNut Hammocks
    Tarp
    Winter Dream by UG
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Well, I can finally say I've made it! 12 months straight with at least one night in the hammock. 17 hangs last year, camped in every month except February. . Missed by 2 days on either side. Thanks to 12 nights a year for getting me out here! Thanks to hammock forums for all the fun reads and tips. Thanks to Jeff Shelnut (Ospreydog) for teaching me how and for the Hickory Nut hammock!
    Now I'm gonna enjoy this fire a little longer before I doze off! Y'all have a good one! See ya on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucksOrangeDream View Post
    Well, I can finally say I've made it! 12 months straight with at least one night in the hammock. 17 hangs last year, camped in every month except February. . Missed by 2 days on either side. Thanks to 12 nights a year for getting me out here! Thanks to hammock forums for all the fun reads and tips. Thanks to Jeff Shelnut (Ospreydog) for teaching me how and for the Hickory Nut hammock!
    Now I'm gonna enjoy this fire a little longer before I doze off! Y'all have a good one! See ya on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WTG COD!

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    18th consecutive month down! Made the Frozen Butt Hang in Dayton this weekend. Luckily, no frozen butts, I was toasty warm down to 28°F. No pics worth mentioning, except a pic of the group around dinner. But since "if no pics, it didn't happen":
    20170204_175821_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    DH Sparrow and DH Free Bird
    Tarp
    HG Hex and UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 and 40
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckle
    Sounds like I am late but Ill join in. Im already in the woods 2-4 times a month so I have about 6 already down. Here are two pictures I already have and ill dig up more.

Both in the backcountry here in the smokies.

The first was of my friend and my water bottle. The trees were changing colors in the fall. One of my favorite spots.

The second site was past that bridge. It was almost like camping on an island. It was a little chilly due to the water and good wood was hard to find with all the moisture.
    Last edited by Muraaby; 02-05-2017 at 21:00.

Still waiting for my underquilt and tarp, so Januarys outing was in a shelter. Man, I can't wait to get my package so I can hang even when it's cooler.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 Robic XL (SL, GE, 11')
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    I'm starting in on this for 2017. I got my first night in January with the EGL group hang, overnight low of -15°C.
    Spent this past Saturday night out in our backyard, with a low of about -7°C or so. I borrow my neighbour's tree and even then it's a stretch. I just made some Grizz beaks, so I was able to test those out.
    So now I'm 2/2!

• + New Posts
  • Page 71 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast