Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

full time ground dweller?

Nest,

The CDT does go above timberline often, but not for long distances. It is a special experience to sleep above timberline when the weather is good. When I do that type of trip I use a Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs for above timberline and a ENO with SPE and Big Agnes Air Core for below timberline.

In my opinion, you do not need to go the ground full time to make your weight goals.

Check my gallery for a sunrise picture taken at 12,400 ft.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

I think this shelter deserves a look:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...:174.130.178.3

I have a tarptent and it does need to be tightened up during a windy night due to "sil-stretch". A spinnaker tarptent should be awesome, and this is a classic, proven design.

Images
    I know through Colorado a hammock will work, and maybe through a couple other states too. The problem is New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana. Lots of desert and areas above tree line or just no trees for more than a day. Besides, a comfortable hammock setup that can handle the temps I could possibly see could never be lighter than a 16oz tarptent.

Take a knee, you are my new favorite person on here. Although not for that exact tent you linked too. Their other tent "The One" seems perfect. It is going on the top of my list.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    I know through Colorado a hammock will work, and maybe through a couple other states too. The problem is New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana. Lots of desert and areas above tree line or just no trees for more than a day. Besides, a comfortable hammock setup that can handle the temps I could possibly see could never be lighter than a 16oz tarptent.

Take a knee, you are my new favorite person on here. Although not for that exact tent you linked too. Their other tent "The One" seems perfect. It is going on the top of my list.
    Do your research Nest, some have posted at WB about issues with the "One". I don't recall what they were, and it may have been with the initial run.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Do your research Nest, some have posted at WB about issues with the "One". I don't recall what they were, and it may have been with the initial run.
    Thanks, just posted on WB asking about it. It may just be too good to be true. If they make a spinn version of Shire's Squall I wonder what the chances are that they would make a spinn version of the contrail? Might just get on some emails with the two and find out. i like the squall, I just figure I could save a good bit of weight with a 1 man instead of 2 man tent. Funny though, the spinn squall is about the same weight as a lot of sil tarp tents I've looked at.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    Can you not use a hammock on the PTC.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12