DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Chicot State Park Louisiana September 9-10

Got a chance to get out for a overnight trip. I was hoping things would cool off but it seams the cool weather delayed getting to Louisiana. But I was determined to make the trip anyway.

Chicot has a 20 miles loop for backpacking with 6 campsites to stay at. Each site has a fire ring with a grill grate. Most are small so big groups may have trouble. But plenty room for at least 4 or more hammocks at most of them. I stayed at #6 and it had room for many hammocks.

I started at the south landing trailhead which is mile 0 on the loop. Hiked counterclockwise to mile 12 which is where campsite 6 is. The trail is mostly flat with a few up and downs through gulleys but doesn't come close to the lake but in a few spots. And the lake is about the only water available to filter from. Each campsite is near the lake so water can be had at the camps. There is also a bayou at mile 8 that I got water from.

This can also be mountain biked and looks like a fun trail for a bike and camp.

At mile 6 you hit the levee and walk on the bottom for a mile. I tried walking on top to get a breeze but the grass was high and plenty of holes in the ground.

The lake was full of water plants here. Not sure what they were but this is the best view of the lake on the trip.

Didn't get any hammock or campsite pics because the mosquitoes were terrible. Should have brought my thermacell. It would have been worth the weight. I just hid in my hammock and read on my phone.

Woke up next morning to drizzles and saw this coming my way.

Decided to pack fast and hiked the 9 miles to truck nonstop in 3 hours.

Cool hike but won't do again unless it's cold.

At mile 8 there is something I never thought I'd see on a Louisiana trail.
    Last edited by Nodust; 09-11-2015 at 14:53.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Chicot State Park Louisiana September 9-10

Bayou at mile 8 that I got water from. The water was surprisingly clear. It was just downstream of the dam.

• + New Posts