Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Maine Lighthouse and Lobster 2015 Trip report

IMGP7199.jpg
    Google Photo Album

Once again we had an amazing time at the Meadowbrook Campground, and the first thing I want to do is extend my heartfelt thanks to Trikertom and the rest of the crew for making us all feel right at home. We ate them out of house and home not once, but twice with amazing all you can eat buffet breakfasts Saturday and Sunday morning. We also emptied the "lobster pound" Saturday Night.

Warning: a lot of lobsters were harmed in the making of this weekend, and they were delicious!

We had an absolutely amazing time making new friends, as well as hanging with old friends once again. The weather worked out great, with most of us pushing the rain out of the area as we were arriving. Friday night was exceptionally clear, with a few people making late runs to LLBean (open 24/7) and the rest of us chilling out by the fire. It was a good night to relax after a long drive (7 hours for us from central NY)

Saturday morning was an amazing breakfast, with bacon, eggs, homefries, french toast and pancakes. At $5 a head, it was the perfect way to fuel up for a long day of adventures! At 9am, those who wanted to go gathered up at the main camp store to start the lighthouse tour.

The caravan departed shortly afterwards, and headed to the iconic Portland Head Lighthouse. This lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the United States, and for good reason. It's gorgeous. The weather cooperated fully, giving us perfect blue skies, and a light ocean breeze. We then headed off to Lobster Shack for lobster rolls, crispy fish and pie! The second lighthouse in the lighthouse tour was Spring Point Head Lighthouse , this lighthouse sits 900' in the water, and to get to it you have to rock hop across a breakwater. We had a great time heading up with Chaaz and Alison.

We headed back to the campground and got things moving for the raffle. After a hectic setup period, I realized exactly how much stuff we had. I’m overwhelmed by the amount of participation we had. Not only from the vendors, but from the attendees as well.

We were able to raise $675 for the Wounded Warrior Project thanks to everyone. I seriously owe everyone, vendors and attendees alike a giant thank you!

Here is the list of vendors who participated in the raffle In no particular order, as well as what was donated. :

Tato Gear- AB13 stove, Element stove, Tato Cash, RL clips
    Ripstopbytheroll- Camo hex 12 kit.
    Loco Libre Gear- 30° Topquilt
    Hammeck- Camo Netty Hammock
    Dragontail Tenkara- Full Tenkara Rod kit
    Wilderness Logics- Pair of Pillows, and Beanie hat
    Grizzly Outdoors- Sheaths for Various Moras
    Dutchware- Double Layer Netless Hammock, and Dutchbucks
    •Old Dog's Spoons- Pair of BEAUTIFUL hand carved spoons.
    Underground Quilts- Pair of down pillows, a pair of fleece beanies, and a pair of Ridgelines
    2T's Outdoors- Ultimate backpacking Chair
    Terrapin Outfitters- Shirts, Stickers, A terrabiner carabiner, and an awesome hat.
    GoGrillz- Shirt, entertainment, and his awesomeness for putting this together.
    Meadowbrook Campground!!! The donated a pair of mugs, Lobster, and 2 really nice paintings. Not to mention putting up with us for an entire weekend.

We had a great evening by the fire, lots of fun and laughter. (Everyone remember to send GoGrillz a post card) A little drama in the night with a couple of people outside our group screaming at each other at 2 am.

Sunday morning, we awoke to light on and off rain, shuffled down to breakfast once again, and then broke camp. Like most of these events, you never leave when you intend to. We stood around talking with various people for quite a while, and finally rolled out at about 11am. We stopped in Freeport, and spent a few hours wandering LLBean and the outlets. We rolled back into the driveway just after 9pm.

If you can only make one hang in the New England area, it’s gotta be this one. There’s plenty of room for hammocks, tents, or RVs, and even a few cabins if you want to go that route. Tom and all his staff are great, and willing to work with us. There was talk of doing a Lobster bake instead of a boil next year. I've also got a few vendors already lined up for next year. Please reach out the vendors above, thanking them for the donations. It keeps them coming back.

My only question: Where’s the planning thread for the 3rd Annual Lighthouse and Lobster Hang?

IMGP7168.JPGIMGP7166.JPGIMGP7164.JPGIMGP7161.JPGIMGP7159.JPG
    Last edited by hk2001; 09-15-2015 at 12:55.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Yes please! Looking forward to lots of pics.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH ULEXP
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    NEST,NO SNIVELLER
    Suspension
    STRAPS AND RINGS
    Me to. I also could not make it this year.
    Fred

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Lobster, bonfires, sweater weather.. And won my coveted item in the raffle we are marking our calendars for the 2016 dates. Thank you, Triker Tom, for your generous hospitality and lighthouse tour and to Alex aka GoGrillz for making this happen. A+ trip save for the 2am Jerry Springer live action scenes across from the site last night.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    inside my Draumr
    Megan

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Megan

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Megan

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Draumrwarbonnet bridgePortland Head
    Megan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast