Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

ClimaShield pillow question

I want to make a custom sized ClimaShield pillow. I'm not sure what loft to get. Is there an advantage to multiple layers of (for example 2.5) vs single/fewer layers of a higher loft.

In other words, if I determined I wanted a loft of 1.8", would there be any advantages to 3 layers of Apex 2.5 (loft of .6") vs 2 layers of Apex 3.5 (loft of .9").

I am specifically thinking of ability to fold the pillow to fit in my pack, but there might be other considerations I'm missing.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Unless you just have extra Climashield laying around that is driving you crazy (it can happen), I'm not sure that CS is all that good for a pillow. I have a DIY UQ that I made using Apex 5 that compresses down really well. It is this compressability that I believe would make it less than desirable for a pillow, kind of like down pillows. It takes a lot of it to give decent support. I have made several smaller scale pillows for hanging that I stuffed with Malwart fiberfill. They still offer fair pillow support and are light and can be stuffed into tight spots and spring right back to shape when you take them out.

Make a few prototypes with the fiberfill and see if you like it. If you don't, just offer it up in Pay it Forward. Good luck.

SE

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I wouldn't use polyfill over Climashield for a pillow. Primaloft would probably work even better. With these options you can just stufd it in instead of sewing it in to the case.

Of course I've never seen a pillow made with climashield kept in sheets and made like a small thick quilt. That might be pretty cool.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I actually have a pillow made from ClimaShield that Jared at SLD made for me. I was kind of guessing when I told him the dimensions and he made exactly what I asked for, but now I want to tweak those dimensions. I figured I might just get some CS and mess around DIY until I find the perfect size. A yard of CS is only about $10 from Dutch, so I could do several prototypes.

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    I made mine with several layers of 2.5. I tried to stagger some parts of layers and leave air gaps. In the end, I don't think it really worked so there probably isn't any advantage to many thin layers. If I were playing around again, I might stuff chopped up climashield between a sandwich of layers. In the end, I have switched to some plastic air filled packing material.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxpoop View Post
    I actually have a pillow made from ClimaShield that Jared at SLD made for me. I was kind of guessing when I told him the dimensions and he made exactly what I asked for, but now I want to tweak those dimensions. I figured I might just get some CS and mess around DIY until I find the perfect size. A yard of CS is only about $10 from Dutch, so I could do several prototypes.
    You gonna fire up the injector???

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I had a ton of climashield "scraps" after building three top quilts. The largest piece was probably only around 4 inches wide at most. Basically I had a bunch of chopped up pieces that I stuffed into a pillow and it has been perfect. It would probably take a number of layers to get something that retained enough structure or loft once you actually laid on it. Even if you got the climashield loft to your desired point, it will compress so much that it wouldn't provide the support you'd want.
    Although I haven't tried layering, I think the scrap method, packed tightly might be a person's best bet. There is no "lumpiness" to it and it is firm enough to provide support.

• + New Posts