Hammock
    War bonnet blackbird

And the backpacking trip is now over..

We hiked the Red River Gorge this weekend with the Boy Scouts. Used my Blackbird XLC and new mamba jamba. Don't own a good backpacking sleeping bag so I took my USGI green patrol bag. Also don't have an under quilt so I took an old USGI sleeping pad. It rained both nights and the tarp worked great. I was a little concerned because it isn't ALL that much longer than the hammock. But it worked well. The low last night was around 46. That's about as cold as I would recomend with that pad. I didn't freeze, but if it was lower than 40 I'd have been waking up cold. I know that pad sucks but my thermorest is to big to pack. It was a good trip. Got some good exercise and a chance to use my new gear. Now I need to start hunting for an under quilt, cause it's only getting colder...
    Last edited by Edm; 09-14-2015 at 06:18.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Check out Costco, if you have one local, for $20 down throws. I have recently bought 2 and are sewing tabs around the perimeter of each to use as a double layer UQ in colder weather, single layer UQ and TQ in warmer weather, or an actual throw in the house or other times. You can follow the "costco thread" here.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...wn-throw-19-95

I have one throw finished and need to sew the tabs on the other. I will post pics of both when finished, but if you want to see a current pic, let me know.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    It sure is getting colder here in the Bluegrass! Sounds like a great trip. I know the Gorge was hoppin' this weekend with the Rugged Red Trail Run, but the rain may have kept others' away...

Pads work well for a lot of people, but it's generally accepted that UQ's are the most comfortable way to insulate a hammock. If you ever want to demo a hammock with a built in UQ, lemme know. I'm in and out of Lexington all the time and would be happy to have you use one of my demo Boone Hammocks on your next trip.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Just about the perfect time of year for hiking ans camping up there. Always loved being in the mountians in the fall. Don't get much color change down here in Florida. I was curious to know how well my military sleep system was going to work in my hammock. I've used both bags down into the 50's with no pad in the past, good to know with a sleep pad i can probably put off an underquilt untill next winter.

• + New Posts