Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images

Amsteel Blue and Easy/Adjustable Drip Ring Suspension

Hey all. I got my NX250 in the other day and LOVE IT!! I have been experimenting with the suspension on it and have chosen to switch out the polypro straps with 3/16" or 1/4" Amsteel blue. I want a rig that is easy to suspend and adjust without numerous retying of knots. Normally, I'd put this in the suspension section, but since it especially relates to the drip rings that come with the Clark, I feel this might be the better forum.

I would like to use the current method that I have set up with the polypro rope, only with the Amsteel blue, using the Drip Rings to adjust the length of the suspension seen here. The question that I have though is whether or not anyone uses Amsteel blue in this configuration and what their results have been, especially with the "slipperiness" of the Amsteel blue and the 3-4 half hitches that are placed at the end of the suspension. Has anyone had these slip or come untied or is it pretty secure? If it isn't secure, I'll probably just switch to SMC rings and use a gardahitch instead, but I am trying to save the money on having to purchase additional hardware.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Here grizz explains most suspension styles. Watch them all,they are the best, thanks grizz.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Here grizz explains most suspension styles. Watch them all,they are the best, thanks grizz.
    I went through all of them last night and they were a great help. I think that is why I am considering the gardahitch with rings. But that said, since the suspension type I'm talking of relates specifically to the Clark and the drip rings that come with it. I'm going to West Marine later today to buy some and play around with it today so it should be fun!

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I've switched over to the drip ring suspension and marlinspikes with Amsteel 7/64 on all of my hammocks, and I absolutely love it. I've never had any slippage with this method even with my wife joining me in the hammock, although I've experienced Amsteel slipperiness with other knot configurations. I just do the two half hitches shown in the video on the Clark site.

What are you planning on doing for the tree-wrapping part of your suspension?
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    What are you planning on doing for the tree-wrapping part of your suspension?
    For right now I am just using the Clark tree straps.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I'd be curious to know if the Clark straps are too wide to use in a marlinspike configuration. It's so easy to use with a drip ring loop it's ridiculous. See my testament here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9420

Btw, all the West Marine stores I've visited in Virginia carry their Amsteel in grey. I can't remember if the color signifies a difference in the number of strands or not, but 1/8 is more than strong enough in any color, and the grey coloring doesn't come off in the rain the way the blue does. I have no idea why they made a line for sailing that isn't colorfast in the water.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    I went through all of them last night and they were a great help. I think that is why I am considering the gardahitch with rings. But that said, since the suspension type I'm talking of relates specifically to the Clark and the drip rings that come with it. I'm going to West Marine later today to buy some and play around with it today so it should be fun!
    Thanks, appreciate that.

I've backed away from the garda hitch. With extended use on Amsteel I see the kind of potential damage to cord that I mention in the video on Vectrus. Some people use it on 3.8mm Spyderline, someone reported that the cover separated from the cord at the squeeze point using 2.8mm Spyderline.

I've put a comment on disavowing the Garda hitch in the video "description" area (just now)...I will put an annotation on the video itself but need to find a browser/OS that youtube and I agree on for the capability.

I don't have any experience with the Clark. But you can tie off Amsteel to a ring no problem. I do this with two slippery half hitches, the bight of the second one going into the bight of the first one. Easy to tie, and one good yank takes it apart.

Grizz

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Clark. But you can tie off Amsteel to a ring no problem. I do this with two slippery half hitches, the bight of the second one going into the bight of the first one. Easy to tie, and one good yank takes it apart.

Grizz

thanks for the great idea of "2" slippery half hitches, I've been using just one and then untieing the other. I normally put 3 half hitches (2 half hitches, 1 slippery half hitch) on the end, do you think your method would work with "3 slippery half hitches"????

TinaLouise

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Thanks, appreciate that.

I've backed away from the garda hitch. With extended use on Amsteel I see the kind of potential damage to cord that I mention in the video on Vectrus. Some people use it on 3.8mm Spyderline, someone reported that the cover separated from the cord at the squeeze point using 2.8mm Spyderline.

I've put a comment on disavowing the Garda hitch in the video "description" area (just now)...I will put an annotation on the video itself but need to find a browser/OS that youtube and I agree on for the capability.

Grizz
    Interesting note about the Garda Hitch. I am still using it with stock HH support lines of the thnner variety. I agree there is some compression on the line, especially when I was pulling the suspension as tight as possible. It has eased somewhat since I now just snug the suspension rather than reef on it as hard as I can. I'm gonna stay with it . . .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey everyone. Thanks for posting and making this discussion very enlightening. I went to West Marine this afternoon and purchased 1/4" Amsteel. I know it's overkill, but they were out of 3/16" and I didn't have the time (patience ) to wait longer. I swapped out the polypro lines and installed the Amsteel. Since they seem to be the same diameter there was no problem there. I set it up using the Clark tree straps with biners that clip into them. The Amsteel is then passed through the biner and back through the drip ring just like on the YouTube and secured with 3 half hitches (2 regular, the last slippery).

As soon as I sat in it, it was a different world. The hammock barely gave at all and while laying in it just felt so much more secure and completely put my mind at ease. It felt so much sturdier than before... Once I got up, I checked the drip rings and half hitches for any signs of slippage or untying because of the supposed slipperiness of the Amsteel, and there was nothing. Everything was snug and secure. I think I'll continue to work with this system for the time being and probably experiment with other stuff down the road since it is definitely addictive tinkering with the thing! Thanks again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast