Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We (me and another ASM) started out by using our own at a camp out on the Saco.

The next week, both of our boys had one.

At the next camp out, there was me and the other ASM and the SM, as well as my son and the other ASM's son all hanging.

After that camp out, one of the dads stared asking questions about it.

This weekend's camp out will have 2 ASMs, the SM and 5 boys hanging with their own kits, and 2 more boys hanging on my extra kits.

We are taking a slow approach to converting. This year's prize for selling $600 in popcorn is a hammock with bug net.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC single layer in Multicam
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20* HG TQ/Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Depends on the day
    Our scouts are wild about their hammocks. We had them make their own following Derek Hansen's video instructions.

http://youtu.be/VVyX0McICr0

I started hammock camping when my son was a Cub Scout. Our pack camped a LOT (they still do, though we've moved on to Boy Scouts now). He started it (can't remember how he found out about it), but our troop has a number of hangers. Probably about equally split between tents and hammocks for the adults (and a wide range of gear) and maybe 30% of the boys hammock.

If you find one Cub Scout Pack that's not active enough for you, try another one. Hopefully there's at least one Pack in your area that has an active outdoor program. Ours camped several times per year and hiked every month (except July and August).
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by sjarvis View Post
    If you find one Cub Scout Pack that's not active enough for you, try another one. Hopefully there's at least one Pack in your area that has an active outdoor program. Ours camped several times per year and hiked every month (except July and August).
    That is a good recommendation. Another approach is that if your pack is not active enough for your preference, take an active role in changing it. Some packs or troops just need someone to take charge and create change. Those changes can positively affect many youth and adults, giving all a better base of skills and confidence.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    That is a good recommendation. Another approach is that if your pack is not active enough for your preference, take an active role in changing it. Some packs or troops just need someone to take charge and create change. Those changes can positively affect many youth and adults, giving all a better base of skills and confidence.
    We ended up doing that years ago. My son wanted to start cubscouts when he was a tiger scout. Spent the year with one pack as a tiger and neither of us liked it. He spent all his time doing crafts which he hated, he wanted to camp. I really didn't like the pack either. There was no respect between the leaders, the kids and adults. He quit for a year and asked to try scouts again. We found a different pack which ended up being a very active pack. He really enjoyed it, and I really enjoyed the scouts and the parents as well. He made it though cubs,moved up to the troop and is working on his Life Scout badge right now.

For us, I think once one or two of the boys take their hammocks out on a campout others will follow, if they want too. It isn't something you can force. Although the camping itself, I think you can, but that's another disscussion.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Costco DYI quilts
    Suspension
    Amsteel Blue UCR
    Images
    In our troop some of the older scouts used hammocks at Sea Base (high adventure camp for a week) and loved it. They now hang hammocks whenever we are at base camps. The younger scouts see this and want to join in. Three of them purchased hammocks at summer camp. So far it's just for day time relaxing but I plan on helping them "convert".

So, if you can get a few older, influential scouts to make it fun then it quickly spreads and everyone wants to join in.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, GT SBP, DIY
    Tarp
    ENO and GT
    Insulation
    ENO Ember/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Atlas, Whoppie
    One way is that when the scouts start buying in to the hammocking, have them create a patrol. Many of their meeting components can be hammock based as in DIY projects. When others see how "cool" it is, many will convert. It will usually take a couple of "in" scouts to get the ball rolling. What is the most important component is education of proper hanging, LNT, good equipment, and Safe Scouting principles of not hanging higher than waist high. Most new hangers do not know that they have to lay on the diagonal and will not have a good night sleep. That is the most important factor to sleep.

At times, you could have a hammock only camping trip. Many will balk at the idea, but no one ever said that entire troops have to camp, that is what a patrol is. Years ago, patrols were more active and did events on their own more than the troops. That was the concept of Baden Powell.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by mbal1856 View Post
    My son wanted to start cubscouts when he was a tiger scout. Spent the year with one pack as a tiger and neither of us liked it. He spent all his time doing crafts which he hated, he wanted to camp. I really didn't like the pack either. There was no respect between the leaders, the kids and adults..
    That mirrors our experience. I was the ADL up until he wanted to move away from it, so I had some input, but not much. There was so much backstabbing between leaders, I jumped at the chance when my son wanted to do MMA full time, and back away from the scouts. The children were so disrespectful as well, and without correction from leaders... because the worst behaved children were the children of the leaders. Totally sending the wrong message to the other scouts. I didn't want that environment for my son.

Most of the best memories from my childhood are from scouting, or camping with my family. So, it wasn't what I was expecting at all when we joined. I told him all of the stories from my scouting years, and his experience was the polar opposite. We may check out another pack at some point, but not right now. I'm happy for all of you fellows that have had great experiences, that's how it should be.

Sorry if I got too far off topic there.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Eno/Yukon
    Tarp
    8x12
    Insulation
    Pad / Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk
    So here is a overhead shot of my scout troop hammock camping. We have a few scouts that aren't that interest in camping due to this society's generation wanting to stay indoors & play technology. The idea of sleeping on the ground in tents is not the idea of a good time for them.

However, I introduced to them the idea of hammocking, & broke it down to 4 basic types of camping. Cabin, tents, hammocks, & tarp camping. The idea of hammocks was a fresh idea outside the box for them.

We had a 2 night campout, & I told them to hang however they wanted. Some did pretty good. The next day i had 4 different mini classes with them, with info., handouts, hands on of how to hang better & tricks/tips on different gear.

If i am not mistaken, i now have my few scouts that hate camping, more excited. The idea of sleeping "off" the ground is a better idea. I believe i have most if not all the scouts wanting to sleep in hammocks nows.

Plus, Tenderfoot requirement #2 is... Spend at least one night on a patrol campout. Sleep in a tent that you helped pitch... Well a hammock could be considered a tent, just a "tent" that is off the ground... Boom, requirement done. Its faster, and easier to step up than messing with tent poles, rain fly, especially in bad weather. Overall, my scouts are in love with hammocks now.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I decided that for our outgoing Webelos, I will make them each a 10ft hammock with structural ridge lines, cinch buckles, and proper tree straps to help start them off right. I noticed earlier this summer and at camp that many of the Boy Scouts were hanging in whatever hammocks they bought at camp and were using rope instead of straps, and also were hanging them very taught between the trees. So I'm hoping to change that behavior by doing this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast