Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images

Strapworks product question

I've seen this product mentioned here before, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback.

http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ng_p/hss1p.htm

I plan on getting the 30' sling with 2" loops. I'll cut it in half to make 2 (roughly) 15 foot straps. I'll use a lighter to "seal" the ends to keep them from unravelling. I sold my Clark NA and purchased a Clark NX-250 (it's due to be here tomorrow! Yay!), but I want to switch to the "ring buckle"-type suspension. I already have the 4 decender rings (2 for each end), and just plan to feed the loose end of the strap through the 2" loop, so no additional hardware will be needed.

Now, for my questions...

Does the polyester stretch like nylon?

Does anyone know the breaking strength on these? (not mentioned anywhere under the product description)
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    Now, for my questions...

Does the polyester stretch like nylon?

Does anyone know the breaking strength on these? (not mentioned anywhere under the product description)
    Polyester has almost no stretch. The ones you linked were once quoted by StrapWorks to have a ~3500lb rating.

I would suggest two things about your plan. First, instead buying one sling and cutting it in half just buy two shorter ones, each with sewn loops on both ends. If anything ever happened to the stitching on one end, you'll have a backup there already. The difference in cost is incredibly minimal.

Second, I would suggest the Seatbelt Polyester Sling instead. It is much lighter than the regular (thicker) polyester, but still has more than enough strength for hanging purposes.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The polyester and polypropylene do not stretch like nylon. Nylon is very strong and will stretch so it is better suited for climbing, whereas polyester and polypropylene are better suited for hammocking since stretch is usually the enemy.

I'm sure someone else can list breaking stats but from what I remember nylon is the strongest followed by polypro then polyester.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Good feedback...Thanks, folks.

Are there additional benefits to the seatbelt poly over the regular poly, other than weight? Weight is not so much a primary concern for me..strength is. The majority of my hammocking is done while kayak camping and car camping. Is the weight difference between the two really substantial? A few extra ounces aren't going to make or break a decision for me. Maybe I'll just get both and see, since the prices are reasonable.

Good idea on the shorter length, double looped straps!

Anyone else with feedback? Your answers are all appreciated!
    Last edited by molawns; 10-25-2009 at 14:11. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On several occasions, I'd previously purchased looped polyester straps for use as a full suspension with cinch buckles. Recently I switched to Whoopies and for the 4' tree straps decided to try the looped seatbelt webbing. It's fractionally lighter, almost the same strength, and being more flexible is easier to both wrap the tree with and also to stuff for storage. I'm definitely a convert to the seatbelt webbing.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    and their shipping is incredibly fast- ordered monday -received Wednesday!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Mo:
    I have the strap that you linked and did exactly what you were talking about doing when I got my Clark NX-200. I use a cinch buckle set-up and have no issues with the straps or their weight handling abilities. I trust them with my 300+lb backside off the ground! I will order some of the seatbelt type after the first of the year like AngrySparrow suggested as a spare set. Before every hang I inspect the loop to make sure that I achieve and maintain my elavated state! BTW, when they, strapworks, say they are not colorfast they mean it. I have the grey ones and they are not colorfast, grey hands are weird looking in the woods!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    More great feedback...thanks again, all.

I went ahead and ordered both. Hey, I think $34 shipped is a good deal for enough suspension for two hammocks! I'll use the one I favor more for my new Clark NX-250, and the other for my "no name" standard nylon sheet hammock.

I got 30' of the regular polyester with 2 inch loops, and 2 15' polyester seatbelt type with 2 inch loops. Both in color-fast black.

Can't wait!

• + New Posts