Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    What would be considered a maximum (reasonable) distance between trees, assuming you don't have a step ladder handy?

H.O.A.'s are a double-edged sword. I live on 18 ac, governed only by deed restrictions. They are only enforceable by civil court, but still enforceable. HOA's are good when you need them but not so good when you don't.
    For me, max reasonable distance is about 20-21 feet. I'm 6'5" so I can reach up a bit for strap placement. 15-18feet is 'bout perfect!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    What would be considered a maximum (reasonable) distance between trees, assuming you don't have a step ladder handy?

H.O.A.'s are a double-edged sword. I live on 18 ac, governed only by deed restrictions.
    Max distance is using all of the webbing Brandon sends you. On float trips where I had few options, I've had the webbing all the way out on both ends and coming at about a 10 degree angle off the ends of the hammock and I was still comfortable.

The whole purpose of the structural ridgeline is that it compensates for not being able to hang the hammock the same way every time. As long as you're not pushing the weight limit of the hammock you accept that life's not perfect and hang in whatever spot you can find.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    About 15'.

Anywhere from 13' to 18' is what I look for.
    Right. If there is a choice, I always choose the closer ( 13' ). As long as I am not TOO close, life always seems easier when the trees are as close as possible. In addition, all other things equal, a tree that is closer to the hammock should provide better wind/rain blockage on the ends. Of course, in the end you have to take what is available.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I've asked Brandon in an email about the 30* angle explaining that I like the feel better at more of a 20* angle but that produces a tight ridge line. I explained that I was about 165 lbs and he told me that shouldn't be a problem but not to bring the angles "anywhere near horizontal" - so I took that to mean "don't get much flatter than you are now -given your weight". I'd assume that at some combination of "flatter" and "heavier load" I'd experience fatigue or failure.

With that said, Amsteel is apparently really tough stuff... but I really like my hammock

Your mileage may vary.

Images
    20 deg is fine, no issues with anything breaking. the 30 deg recommendation is just that. if you can do 30 deg, many find a looser rl to be more comfy. 20 deg is certainly fine if that's what you have to do to hang, and some may even prefer it slightly tighter. in theory it shouldn't effect comfort, the ends of the hammock are still the same distance apart, but most swear they can feel a difference.

no matter what your weight, you don't want to pull the suspension horizontal, very low angles can put 3 times your weight on each end of the susp.

that being said, if it's a long span and you have to use a lower angle to hang, weighting the hammock and the resulting stretch of the webbing should bring the weighted suspension closer to 20+ deg even if it was flatter when the hammock was empty. you don't want a really low angle in the suspension while the hammock is weighted, but that's somewhat hard (probably not impossible) to do, but i just tell folks not to pull it anywhere near horizontal. also, keep in mind, the lower the angle you use, the more the hammock will "drop" upon entry.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12