WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

Vectrus 12 for Amsteel Blue

I ordered some 1/8 Vectrus 12 from Annapolis Performance Sailing last week. I just read the Whoopie Sling thread. I now want to make a set.

I haven't seen the Amsteel in person that is recommended for the Whoopie Sling so I can't compare it to my Vectrus so can anyone who knows these two tell me if I can use this Vectrus as a replacement cord in this case?

The Annapolis website rates the Amsteel at 2,500lbs and the Vectrus at 2,000. both are hollow core beyond that I don't know.

Additionaly, the opposite end of the Whoopie Sling will run a double loop through my hammock ends and will tie off with a Taut Line Hitch. I'll take the extra few inched that stick out from that TLH and run them back into the hollow core to make it neat.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Vectrus vs. Amsteel

Vectrus is vectran, which is supposed to be great - a bit stronger than Amsteel (aka Spectra aka HMPE) and no creep. I have some 1/16" vectran I got on ebay, and it's a looser braid than Amsteel, thus easier to splice. I don't know if Yale's version, Vectrus, has a coating like Amsteel, which may be what makes it more difficult to splice. Anyway, what you got should be wonderful; let us know if it is. What did it cost for 1/8"?
    David

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post
    I ordered some 1/8 Vectrus 12 from Annapolis Performance Sailing last week. I just read the Whoopie Sling thread. I now want to make a set.

I haven't seen the Amsteel in person that is recommended for the Whoopie Sling so I can't compare it to my Vectrus so can anyone who knows these two tell me if I can use this Vectrus as a replacement cord in this case?

The Annapolis website rates the Amsteel at 2,500lbs and the Vectrus at 2,000. both are hollow core beyond that I don't know.

Additionaly, the opposite end of the Whoopie Sling will run a double loop through my hammock ends and will tie off with a Taut Line Hitch. I'll take the extra few inched that stick out from that TLH and run them back into the hollow core to make it neat.

Thanks!
    I've used both, and Vectrus definitely works in a whoopie sling configuration.

I would not count on a taut-line hitch by itself working under high tension for either Amsteel or Vectrus though. Perhaps the doubling looping will take off enough of the force to make it OK, but I wouldn't trust [b] my [b/] butt to it. Depending on how long the tail is, burying it will hold the hitch in place....but then so ought just burying the tail That would be "neater" still.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    WVhammockmaker, below is a link to Annapolis. I paid .43 per foot.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1485-line.aspx

GrizzlyAdams, what knot would you prefer over the taut Line? I'm just learning my knots.

Thanks!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post
    WVhammockmaker, below is a link to Annapolis. I paid .43 per foot.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1485-line.aspx

GrizzlyAdams, what knot would you prefer over the taut Line? I'm just learning my knots.

Thanks!
    A bowline will hold vectrus or Amsteel under load. When finished the working end will be pointing in the wrong direction to bury into the cord, but a very nice finish to a Vectrus end is to create a very short buried eye and pull the line in so much there is no eye...just a nice finished end.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by WVhammockmaker View Post
    vectran [is] a bit stronger than Amsteel (aka Spectra aka HMPE)
    To be clear: For a given *diameter*, vectran is slightly stronger, but not by weight. HMPE/Dyneema/Spectra is significantly stronger by weight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Fan Friggin Tastic!! I just finished my Whoopie Sling complete with double wrap through hammock ends and bowline knots. I know the ends from the bowline go the wrong way but the Vectran is flexible so I ran it back through the main line.

I made my Whoopie Sling to be able to reach 8 ft. per side. All I need to do now is to order some Strapworks 1in Seatbelt Webbing in a minimum length to wrap a tree and I'm set.

I just tried it out in the back yard and its solid! The reason I'm doing this today is that this weekend I started out over a foot off the ground with my ENO Slap Straps and my 3:00 was touching the ground. Granted I was using the outer loops of the straps and there was plenty webbing to stretch but that was silly.

Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    What would be the "best" minimum strap length? I want to order mine also and just don't know long I should request the required length to be. HELP...Please!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    What would be the "best" minimum strap length? I want to order mine also and just don't know long I should request the required length to be. HELP...Please!
    Ive got a couple pairs 6' long with loops at either end. For the trees we have around our area, 6' should be plenty. If youre worried, then go with 10'.

I also have a couple sets 12' long with a loop on 1 end. I ordered them 24' long and cut them in half.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Opie,
    I just sent you 2 PM's.
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 10-30-2009 at 22:44.

• + New Posts