Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing

Anyone else use a poncho as a tarp?

Hey-o everyone, I'm new here (was referred by the backpacker.com forums) and I was just wondering if anyone else uses their poncho as their tarp. I am a little broke right now as I've been out of work since June but am trying to get some more gear together for backpacking and camping.

Using a poncho as a tarp has its pros and cons but it seems like a good idea to me because it saves weight and space by turning 2 items into 1 and it seems to do the job pretty well. If I had the money, I'm not sure if I'd get a tarp or not as my military poncho seems like it does a pretty good job. It has grommets in all the right places to hang as a tarp and my dad got it for just a few bucks at an army surplus store.

I am really learning a lot from reading here over the last couple weeks and I can't wait to get some better gear (like a WBBB... /drool) and hopefully meet some of you at one of the many group hangs. You all seem like a very friendly bunch and I like the DIY attitude.

Just because every thread is better with pics, here is one of my first hangs with a non-old-school-mesh hammock. I know I know, many mistakes but I am still learning!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ / SS TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Great starting hang Kukri! I just started here a short time ago and still learning the ropes myself. You should find plenty of helpful, friendly people. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    "I know I know, many mistakes but I am still learning! "

Well, I can see one mistake you did not make - sleeping on that wet, nasty ground. So that puts you "above" 95% of the population. That pretty much nullifies all the other "mistakes".

Welcome to hanging and the forum! Keep climbing up the learning curve.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I've played around with using a pocho as a weather shield, with varying results, but I don't think I could go without a tarp but I have a long hammock. I like the clear poly you can see through it. Does it hold up in the wind? Does it get hot under there when the sun is up? Good luck hanging!
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

lots of threads

Ponchos used for flys is discussed often. The answer is maybe. The answer is always maybe.

The fly needs to be matched to the hammock and your style. A poncho is a great fly on a bottom entry Hennessy, but is not wide enough to cover a BlackBird. The fly can be hung very low and close to the hammock on a bottom entry.

A poncho is not long enough to cover a Claytor No Net.

Hammocks and flys are tools. Match the tool to the job.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I like the clear poly you can see through it. Does it hold up in the wind? Does it get hot under there when the sun is up? Good luck hanging!
    It is pretty heavy stuff and not very ideal for backpacking. It would be wonderful if you're car or canoe camping and don't care about weight. I would say it would get a little hot in the sun, though I did not lay in it during the day.

Thanks for the support everyone and I will definitely upgrade my system as I bring some money in. My poncho is a bit bigger than the average poncho as it is designed to be used as a shelter also, being a military poncho and all. I am hoping it'll work for the blackbird I plan to order in the spring. If not, I will spring for one of the other, more expensive, backpacking tarps online.

Kukri,
    A poncho was more than enough for my 6 month AT thruhike in 07. A hammock needs only 8.5 or 9 feet of length and 5 feet of width. More width can certainly be useful, but when weight and volume are critical, a 9X5 poncho is just right.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question what hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Kukri,
    A poncho was more than enough for my 6 month AT thruhike in 07. A hammock needs only 8.5 or 9 feet of length and 5 feet of width. More width can certainly be useful, but when weight and volume are critical, a 9X5 poncho is just right.
    What hammock did you have under that poncho?

Diamond pitch or A-frame?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

GoLite Poncho as Shelter

Kukri,

I often use my GoLite Poncho as my shelter, as well as rain gear. I pitch it as an asymmetrical "diamond" and sleep in the direction offering optimal coverage. On a backpacking trip with the Boy Scouts, we experienced a heavy rainfall and the poncho worked quite well.

You can see the GoLite in this photo (in blue). Behind me is my Assistant Scoutmaster, also hammocking, but using WalMart 8x10 tarp. The rain was just a drizzle by morning, as you can see from this photo.

I was using the Travel Hammock (now Grand Trunk) Ultralight hammock in this setup.

Last edited by dejoha; 10-27-2009 at 22:42. Reason: Added info about the hammock in use.

Hammock
    DIY Single layer
    Tarp
    Nyl Shwr Crtn Linr
    Insulation
    DIY Down 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Cams
    Images
    Kukri, Welcome to the forum! I too have been developing my system on a shoe string budget (**** economy). Check out (search) my thread about my " shower curtain tarp" it was $20 and I don't have to use my rain gear as my shelter (read: I can set up and still be mobile).

Slopes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast