WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    It's all about finding the cord management scheme that works for you. If you aren't figure 8 wrapping your lines, you should start so at least you aren't fighting tangles. I can set up a tarp at least as fast if not faster than a tent (don't have to find a flat spot or clear the ground of sharp/pokey stuff, no poles to assemble/thread, no footprint or fly to deal with, same # of stakes or less). The biggest advantage (with snakeskin use)... nothing to fold, roll, sweep, or shake out when you leave.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman35 View Post
    I'm just wondering if it gets to where it is actually faster/easier than pitching a tent, or if we chose hammocks because we just want to be in a hammock?
    Like all things it depends. Heck, that comparison depends on the tent. In 25+ years of backpacking I've used mainly two tents. One was a Eureka "2-person" that wasn't free standing. It had two hoops (one big by the door and another small by the foot). It was held up by the tension created by stakes, which meant that each of the 6 stakes around the base had to be driven in firmly, and then the fly had to be staked out. I slept in that tent 4 -5 days a week for 3 months straight doing wilderness area trail patrol/maintenance for the Forest Service, and then used it for another 15 years in New Hampshire mountains. I can probably count on 1 finger the number of times I could find a flat spot where all the stakes could be driven without having to move it around a bunch. That tent NEVER went up in under 10 minutes, no matter how hard it was raining. I can now get my Hennessy and whatever tarp I'm using up in less time almost anywhere. (Or even get the modular tarp up first, then worry about the hammock after getting out of the rain.)

But, I still choose a hammock because I want to be in a hammock. If it took me 30 minutes to pitch it, versus 5 minutes for a newer Eureka 1-person free-standing tent I have, I'd still choose the hammock. We all choose what we choose for different reasons. For some, hammocks are lighter than anything else. For others it's because of comfort. For others it's flexibility. If your criteria is speed of pitch then maybe a tent is the right solution. Nothing wrong with that. Practice will help, but as others have said, the uniformity of a pitch for a tent will always make it smoother and probably faster.

For me, it's a combination of comfort, flexibility, and some weight savings. Plus I like new challenges. Hopefully you find the system that works for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    hammocks are more fussy than tents. The biggest advantage to using a tarp is that you can set up in the rain and the rest of your gear stays dry. Practice will make the setup go faster, but to me speed isn't as crucial as comfort. I usually set everything up while my dinner is rehydrating.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    To me, using a 1-piece tarp ridge-line is easier than a 2-piece because I find it easier to get my tarp centered and level.

Knowing knots, loops, hitches, and hardware can make it all easier, too. Trying to set up a tarp with a 2 piece RL using figure9's does seem a bit tedious, IMHO.

Whether it's 1- or 2- piece RL, having your tree-ends set and done, then having a simple way to make tarp adjustments without fooling with the tree ends, makes it easier. I don't know exactly how you are using the figure 9's, but I really don't see much use for more than one, and that's only if you're using a 1-piece RL.

For your one-piece, all you need is a loop at one end so you can anchor one end around the tree. Or, use a beaner or your figure9, or whatever; just anchor one end and let it be. Then, wrap the other end around the other tree and use your figure9 to tighten it. Then, attach your tarp to the RL with prussiks and you can slide and tighten your tarp as needed.

For 2-piece, you need no figure9. Just tie a loop on the end of both pieces and wrap them around the trees. Then, attach tarp with prussiks.

IMHO, hardware, such as figure9s, are primarily for pulling things tight and being able to secure it without it loosening while you tie it off. Your tarp does not need to be pulled so tight as to require such hardware. Prussiks make it a little easier because you don't have to undo anything to make adjustments.

All in all, there is a little fiddling and fanangling with tarps, but it's a good skill to have. Not just for hammocks, but for any situation you may need to have a shelter. Once you have tarping skills, you are better prepared for more situations. The learning curve is pretty sharp and I can set up a tarp as fast as a tent fly, if the tent is already set up.
    Last edited by SpitballJedi; 09-21-2015 at 18:19.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Dealing with 30 Feet of line is why I use a short line on each end. Definitely use a figure 8 wrap when doing up your lines whether a 2-line set up or a single ridgeline. Much faster set up if you are not untangling, and doing the figure-8 when taking it down is faster too. As most have said Practice. Once you have a system that works well, don't change it, just practice it. You will be setting the tarp & the hammock up and taking them down faster than your tenting friends, and you will be so much more comfortable.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Use a ridgeline with a dutch hook attached to one end and a wasp on the other end. Keep both attached to the line and the line on the tarp and wrap the line in a figure 8. Put everything into a double sided stuffsack, keep the parts of the line with the dutchwear near the two openings for quick access, but be carefull not to damage the tarp with the dutch hook and wasp. Now deployment is very easy.
    Take out one end of the line, wrap it around a tree and use the dutch hook to hook it. Pull the rest of the line to the other tree and wrap the line around the tree and tighten it and attach it to the wasp. Open up the tarp and set the other lines and you are done.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    Oztrail HikerFly
    Insulation
    Klymit Static V
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    One way that I cut down a lot of time was moving from a hex tarp to a square tarp(poncho) that I use diagonally. This way I only have 2 guy lines as opposed to 4. Sure I have a bit less room but I generally only need it for showers as I prefer to go car camping when there is solid rain on the way.

Also I use a continuous ridge line that took a bit of practise but I can get it up reasonably quickly if I need to. The key to getting it done is the taut line hitch

Listen to Paul he knows what he speaks of. Pick one method stick with it. Practice. A tarp can be as little as 2 lines (hh on the suspension method) most likely 4-6. About the same number as a tent. And have you ever seen someone put up a tent for the first time? To me the hammock is easier than a tent.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thanks for the tutorials, Shug. I've got 'em saved!
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I do think that I'm constantly changing the setup and that may be part of the problem. The Continuous ridgeline made life more complicated, IMHO. The tarp I use is also a camping tarp, so it has 8 guylines on it... it's massive. I used to had a superfly and I think that was easier also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast