Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Hammock tarps kinda fussy?

Hey guys,

I have a dilemma... I've tried several different systems for hanging two different tarps. My first system was on a superfly with figure 9's at each end going around the trees. Next I tried a continuous ridgline on a rectangular tarp I have. I got them all up and used them, but they just seem to be very temperamental. Is this just the plight of a hanger or is there a better way?

With a tent, you don't have quite the comfort of a hammock... but at least at the end of a twelve mile day you don't have to futz with a complicated system.

Help me do it better guys...

Bamaman

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Just a quick question. What might I ask did you find fussy about those two options?

Like most things there is a slight learning curve and you will find it less fussy every time.

My biggest gripe is cord management. I hate unrolling and winding back up all my guys. That's about it.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Practice.

Then Practice.

After that you need more Practice.

There are all sorts of ways to set up a tarp. All sorts of ways to create your RL to hang it from, all sorts of ways to stake it out, all sorts of stakes to use, all sorts of cord to use, loads of widgets to add in to make it more complex and even more ways to make it more or less work. But no way other than practice to make it "easy" You will get all sorts of comments here telling to go buy this do dad or shiny bit of titanium. You don't need anything else to hang than what you have. But the more practice you get the easier it will be, not more gear. There is a saying, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Practice it slowly over and over and over any the speed of set up and the more automatic (less thinking of what to do) it will become.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Tarp Tutorials may help you get a better pitch......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Carry forth,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    A big +1 on the practice. And there are many ways to do it. So far the easiest for me is a two piece ridge with Nite Ize Cam Jams. Easy and quick to put up and easy to adjust. Yes there are lighter options by a few grams I suppose. But I opt for quick and easy over a few grams. YMMV

PM if you want more info on using these gadgets.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The tarp tutorials are a big help shug, and I have watched them. My 8 year old daughter absolutely loves watching your trip report videos...

It's not that I can't do it, but line management is a good point. The continuous ridgeline is a whole seperate process to roll up and keep tidy so it isn't tangled when I get it out. It can be done of course... but on a trip in April I got to the site and it started raining. It takes about 5-10 minutes to put everything up, maybe a little more.

I do hear you about the practice part... my first 5 times to pitch it were in my backyard. I do admit that part of the cool factor is the complexity of the system. I'm just wondering if it gets to where it is actually faster/easier than pitching a tent, or if we chose hammocks because we just want to be in a hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    You pretty much get the same thing every time with a tent. So long as you have a flat spot the dimensions are set by the tent design. Tarps on the other hand rely on trees or poles with some variability. They definitely have a pretty steep learning curve. That problem is also a huge benefit (hang low for bad weather, high for good, "porch mode", etc).

I tried setting up a rectangular tarp with hiking poles on the ground a few times before getting into hammocks. It was a huge pain to me. I found that exercise really "fussy" chasing the poles back and forth and trying to get the stake spacing right.

Overall hammock tarps are pretty straightforward once you get the "hang".

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Practice.

Then Practice.

After that you need more Practice.

There are all sorts of ways to set up a tarp. All sorts of ways to create your RL to hang it from, all sorts of ways to stake it out, all sorts of stakes to use, all sorts of cord to use, loads of widgets to add in to make it more complex and even more ways to make it more or less work. But no way other than practice to make it "easy" You will get all sorts of comments here telling to go buy this do dad or shiny bit of titanium. You don't need anything else to hang than what you have. But the more practice you get the easier it will be, not more gear. There is a saying, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Practice it slowly over and over and over any the speed of set up and the more automatic (less thinking of what to do) it will become.
    This
    Hammocks arent like tents where theres only really one way to pitch and its pretty much the same every time.....hammocks need way more practice and theres loads to learn. But as said above, if you have a tarp and some rope, then get stringing it up

The only thing i would add is to stick to one system until you can almost do it with your eyes closed. Chopping and changing will only make your frustration worse
    No system is perfect or magical its all just preference

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I use Dutchware Tapr Flyz on each end around the tree. Small figure 9s for each corner guyline. It's been quick and easy for me for over 3 years now. No plans on changing that.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast