I currently have a Himal.
    Tarp
    Walmart brand!
    Insulation
    Arrowhead NewRiver
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Funny hammock things seen on campus

So Im on a college campus 98% of my time, and hammocks are a fairly common sight strung up between the trees. I unabashedly hang at one of the most popular place people hang, just because its centrally located to my classes and food XD But, being a little more informed than the average campus hanger, have seen some things that make me laugh/wince when I see them. The other day I saw some kid hanging at like a 60* angle from the super thin branches of this tree, instead of the main trunk, and they were visibly bowing under her weight. I wondered how she even got her straps wrapped around the branches... Today I saw another girl hanging where I usually hang, and she had no suspension other than her tree straps, and her hammock was completely horizontal, no sag whatsoever. I thought that it couldnt possibly be comfortable. Most people here only have tree straps as their suspension...
    I set up my hammock fo the first time on campus today and, admittedly, had to do several adjustments (I said a little more informed than the campus hanger XD) so my butt wasnt on the ground. (the ground where the trees are is severely sloped with the trees situated horizontally on the slope, so i was way off the ground on my right side, but not on my left) Despite how tight even I was hanging, I got a good two hour hammock nap in before my last class. Man, it was moderately hot out, but I woke up chilled from the slight breeze that was going by! Time to buy that UQ. Anyway, if I see any more funny hammock things I'll document them here

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Sounds like your the right person to help educate your fellow campus hangers. :-) You can politely make suggestions here and there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Walmart brand!
    Insulation
    Arrowhead NewRiver
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Ive been meaning to, especially since we're technically not supposed to have hammocks on campus because its a 'detriment to the trees' :rolls eyes: so if someone breaks a tree branch or something they could crack down on on it which would be terrible. Its always been when Im on my way to class or something though, so I havent said anything.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kells View Post
    Ive been meaning to, especially since we're technically not supposed to have hammocks on campus because its a 'detriment to the trees' :rolls eyes: so if someone breaks a tree branch or something they could crack down on on it which would be terrible. Its always been when Im on my way to class or something though, so I havent said anything.
    You'll have to get your a hat that says "hammock police"

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Yes, it's mostly a detriment to the trees because people abuse the trees and there are sooooo many people doing it.

I go to a friends cabin on the lake twice a year for the weekend. He has several people there. There are a couple of people that show up with hammocks and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why they pull them so tight. Apperently there is a myth, because I've heard others say it: "the idea is for the hammock to wrap around you like a cocoon".

I've tried to talk to them about sag and laying at a diagonal, but they won't even try it. "Maybe it's because I'm a big guy, but I can't pul it tight enough to make it so I don't feel like I'm lating banana shaped." So, they reply "What's wrong with banana shape?". Even after telling them "flat" is more comfy, plus I don't get squeezed in the shoulders, they still won't try it. I don't know how they fall asleep.

Funny hammock things seen on campus

When I was in college, and even now, I could sleep anywhere -- sometimes just in the grass in the shade somewhere. Now, getting a perfect lie is just the icing on the adult cake.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Walmart brand!
    Insulation
    Arrowhead NewRiver
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitballJedi View Post
    Yes, it's mostly a detriment to the trees because people abuse the trees and there are sooooo many people doing it.

I go to a friends cabin on the lake twice a year for the weekend. He has several people there. There are a couple of people that show up with hammocks and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why they pull them so tight. Apperently there is a myth, because I've heard others say it: "the idea is for the hammock to wrap around you like a cocoon".

I've tried to talk to them about sag and laying at a diagonal, but they won't even try it. "Maybe it's because I'm a big guy, but I can't pul it tight enough to make it so I don't feel like I'm lating banana shaped." So, they reply "What's wrong with banana shape?". Even after telling them "flat" is more comfy, plus I don't get squeezed in the shoulders, they still won't try it. I don't know how they fall asleep.
    I can personally get away with a tighter hang when I sleep because I love curling up so it doesnt really matter if Im totally flat. If im just chilling though, I like being flatter, which is weird. But I was even too cocooned for me today, it was crazy.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Whatever they do, as long as they don't damage the trees and mess it up for the good guys is fine by me.

I have an ENO Doublenest Deluxe and even with a perfect sag, there's so much extra material that it still wraps around me. In the summer I have to clip it back or stick my feet out to feel a breeze!

• + New Posts