Thread: New to hammocks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

New to hammocks

Just starting out with a hammock and I have a skeeter beater and a hennessy hex fly. Starting to look at a beginning level UQ. Started looking at the eno ember 2 but some suggest a jarbridge is a better deal. This has probably been discussed a lot but what are some good choices for an entry level in the $100-$150 range. Tried searching but I have issues with that on my phone. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I'm no expert, but I'm in a similar situation. Posted in another thread about this but so far no replies. There are a few option I found.

A DIY PLUQ, poncho liner underquilt can be made for about $40 - $50. Seems to be a popular option. Lots of plans online available to make them.

The Jarbidge is $100. Reviewed well, and people seem to love them. They are 3/4 length though so you will need a pad or other insulation for your feet. For this fact, they're off my radar, but others don't mind and even prefer the shorter length.

DD hammocks sells one called the DD underblanket. $95 and reviewed ok, very little real world info that I can find. If they were available in colors other than olive green I'd have one already... right now just considering it.

Arrowhead Equipment who makes the jarbidge also makes a model called the New River, available in short regular and long, $140-$160 depending on length. They are reviewed well and seem to be very good for the price, although at the very top of your (and my) budget.

The ember 2 is not reviewed well, people say it does not fit well, is not warm, and cannot lay diagonal in them. I would avoid it. ENO also have the vulcan, but for $175 it's considered to be way overpriced for what you get.... and average quilt that's not very warm, and is bulky. I would avoid that as well, at $100 it may be ok, but not $175.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Sticky: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mparison-Chart

There are some other, similar, charts around. My advice is to first really figure out what you need by temperature range etc. In general, synthetic quilts are a bit less expensive than down at a similar temperature rating. Good luck.
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 09-22-2015 at 08:18. Reason: Because I can't spell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    The ember 2 is not reviewed well, people say it does not fit well, is not warm, and cannot lay diagonal in them. I would avoid it.
    I have the ENO Ember 2 and I can lay diagonal in it just fine. The original Ember is the one that received poor reviews. I cannot attest to the warmth of ENO Ember 2 as I use mine indoors year-round (winter months, thermostat set to 60F), with occasional summer backyard hangs (lows 55-60F). For my requirements, the ENO Ember 2 has worked out great. My second choice was Arrowhead Equipment's New River (I didn't want a partial Jarbridge), but the final cost between the two was considerably different (incl. shipping): ENO Ember 2 $100 vs. AHE New River $174.

Let us know what you end up with.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    A friend of mind is suggesting I look in a hammock gear UL. I guess they run $149 and are customizable.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Welcome. If you come to the Fall Hang at Yankee Springs you'll likely have a chance to check out any number of different quilt options.

• + New Posts