Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I am still thinking about getting one of Ed's Snug Fits. Being that I actually got to use one at the last SEHHA I know how good they are. If I decide to get one I will do so before May 31, while they are still on sale.

I know that's still expensive but most good down bags are about the same price and it would be the be all, end all of under quilts, IMHO
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I am still thinking about getting one of Ed's Snug Fits. Being that I actually got to use one at the last SEHHA I know how good they are. If I decide to get one I will do so before May 31, while they are still on sale.

I know that's still expensive but most good down bags are about the same price and it would be the be all, end all of under quilts, IMHO
    I like it also but no way do I have the money for one. His underquilt is heavier than most down bags that are rated to 15°.

I sleep warm so I am not even sure I would need an underquilt. One day this winter I will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I like it also but no way do I have the money for one. His underquilt is heavier than most down bags that are rated to 15°.

I sleep warm so I am not even sure I would need an underquilt. One day this winter I will find out.
    Yeah, I was looking at the weight also. Hammocks with under and over quilts, I wonder if there is any real weight savings over a tarptent type set up.

Anyway I know I need an underquilt. No question, even at 70 deg I get cold in that thing. So yeah, you'll find out alright.

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at the weight also. Hammocks with under and over quilts, I wonder if there is any real weight savings over a tarptent type set up.

Anyway I know I need an underquilt. No question, even at 70 deg I get cold in that thing. So yeah, you'll find out alright.

tarptent?? are you talking a Henry Shires tarptent..if so my Squall weighs in at 2 lbs

I used my hammock in the Smokies (Sportsman Guide brand) earlier this yr. I had a Wal-Mart CCF pad and an Insul Mat Max Pad. It got down to the mid
    40's and I didn't get cold.
    I just bought the DAM 7 pad for winter time (tent or hammock). I am hoping that is all I will need. Plus I have a -5° down bag (weighs 3 lbs ) that I could use as a quilt if needed.

Ahh that's the difference. I don't use a pad. I don't like anything between me and the hammock fabric.

Hmm, 2 lbs Squall. My thick heavy 3.4 ounce Supplex Safari only wieghs 2.5 lbs. If I made it with ripstop I could get down to about 18 to 20 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Ahh that's the difference. I don't use a pad. I don't like anything between me and the hammock fabric.

Hmm, 2 lbs Squall. My thick heavy 3.4 ounce Supplex Safari only wieghs 2.5 lbs. If I made it with ripstop I could get down to about 18 to 20 ounces.
    I leave the front pole at home and use my trekking poles so I might have dropped a few ounces but it is still a great tent that gets used a lot.

Sleeping on the ground doesn't bother me at all. I can't tell a much of a difference between the ground and a hammock. Now sleeping in a shelter is another story which is why I avoid them if possible.

I really need to sell some gear as I have way to much. That way I can get more money to buy new stuff

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456