Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Under Quilt for a bridge hammock

Anyone use a Hammock Gear underquilt on a Bridge Hammock (WBRR)?

I tried but couldn't get it to work. The sides of the quilt come up to high on the hammock.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I asked a similar question awhile back. Some folks seemed to have good luck using the Incubator on a RR - others said they could not get it to snug up closely to the hammock (probably due to the width as Ewker says). Also, the 'butt bulge' manufactured into the Incubator would not be needed on the flat laying RR and might be a place for another loose fit. I inquired to HG about a custom quilt and they suggested that i buy and try the Incubator and return it if it did not work.
    I ended up getting a custom quilt from AHE (40" width) that fits very well.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've been experimenting with insulated bridge hammocks, and one of the things I've found is that there is definitely a "butt bulge" when someone is in the hammock. I haven't worked with a Ridgerunner, but I'd surprised if it wasn't the same. I use a thin layer of insulation as the bottom layer of the hammock, and it is designed to be the same shape as the hammock with someone in it. I have attached underquilts to supplement this insulation, and I think the width of the UQ is the biggest factor in making it fit right. For instance the JrB No-Sniveller and Nest both work well as bridge underquilts because they are rectangles that are about 4' wide. When I make an underquilt I use the same complicated pattern I use for the insulation layer of the hammock, and I use magnets in channels to hold the center of the UQ up against the bottom of the hammock, but that's just striving for perfection. It gives me maximum even insulation over the entire hammock with a minimum of materials - at the cost of incredible increase of labor and complexity. I have taken old DIY attempts at synthetic underquilts that never were satisfactory with gathered end hammocks (probably because they were too heavy) and been able to use them for my bridge hammocks because I used magnets to hold them up in the middle and the overall shape was not too wide. With a lighter UQ, like the No-Sniveller, the magnets are not essential, though they might help.

Having said all that, the reports I've heard of Brandon's UQ fitting the Ridgerunner so perfectly have not been questioned by anyone, so it's an obvious best choice.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    If you try to stretch the quilt cords over the spreader bars than the quilt will not seal/fit. I use 4 small, light carabiners hooked into the webbing loops (where the Lynx quilt attaches) and they allow the quilt to fit exactly on the nylon body without trying to span between the spreader bars. Works really well. I may be able to post pics after this weekend's trip the the BWCA. I'm using a Wilderness Logic SSUQ Full.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    UGQ makes a bridge hammock UQ specifically for the WBRR. Check them out.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    I'm using the AHE Jarbidge 3/4 UQ with great success on my WBRR. I slip a pad into the DL, and add the quilt for a comfortable warm lay.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are a few underquilts made specifically to fit the RR. Warbonets Lynx quilts are of course the apex of fit as the entire RR system was designed together. We developed our Ridge Creek with permission from Brandon at Warbonet. And then there is one or two others that have jumped on with theirs as well.

Some other quilts will work but may need to have various adjtments or modifications done to get them to fit reasonably.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    I use a standard length Wilderness Logic UQ (10F and -10F) designed for a gathered end on my BMBH-UL bridge hammock. No tweaking required both fit perfect.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57639495308983

Hammock
    SB Pro, Lawson, Everest Double
    Images
    Outandback ... thanks for the pics ! It always helps to see a visual on what ideas are working.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast