Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch

Chatooga River Paddle, Hike and Hang

Was wondering if maybe there were any kayakers or canoers on this forum that might want want do an overnight paddling trip on the chatooga river. It is on the upper Georgia/South Carolina River and is in my opinion the greatest whitewater in Georgia as well as it being beautiful. This is a good ideal location because you just fill out a permit and you can camp anywhere along the river you like. There is a trail system that goes down just about the whole river.

I figured we could do section III and section IV (depending on whitewater experience) and It would either take one or two nights depending on how you set the pace.Three to Four if we did some day hiking.

However if no body paddles then I wouldn't mind just camping or backpacking.
    Post here if interested or if you have any suggestions.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images
    When are you thinking about doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by gakayaker View Post
    Was wondering if maybe there were any kayakers or canoers on this forum that might want want do an overnight paddling trip on the chatooga river. It is on the upper Georgia/South Carolina River and is in my opinion the greatest whitewater in Georgia as well as it being beautiful. This is a good ideal location because you just fill out a permit and you can camp anywhere along the river you like. There is a trail system that goes down just about the whole river.

I figured we could do section III and section IV (depending on whitewater experience) and It would either take one or two nights depending on how you set the pace.Three to Four if we did some day hiking.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    If it was a weekend trip I could fit it in just about any time but if it was longer than that I would have to work around my school schedule.

I have time off of school In december from the 19th to Jan the 4th.
    Don't have any available time off after that until april.

December would work well for me even though I don't particularly like the cold but I can strap up the wetsuit and start making a diy underquilt that I have been thinking about for a while.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gakayaker View Post

I would love to join you but Unfortunately I'm in upstate NY. I've kayaked both section III and IV during one of my southern kayak trips. It's one of the most beautiful rivers I've paddled. Be sure to post some pics if you go. There are about five of us up here that combine hammocking and kayaking on a regular basis. It's a perfect match. I've never hammock camped out of my boat but have thought about it. We may plan a multi day kayak trip out west next summer. I did a seven day trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon but that was just before I began hammocking. That would have been sweet on that trip. I've hammock camped quite a bit in CA about a year ago but they were all car camping and day trips. I'll be looking forward to your report. I'll be heading south some time in the future. Perhaps we could hook up. You'd always be welcome up north. Have fun

Miguel

PS My daughter is also a kayaker, hammocker and former raft guide at NOC.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    I'm to scared to hit any white water! What I mean to say is that my 14ft Touring kayak would be no good for it. If you end up 'hanging' somewhere that I can get to by land we could make a group hang out of it!

Section IV is serious whitewater, section III is a bit less so; both are beautiful. For the non-whitewater paddler or hiker there are options that might work with meeting up with paddlers. The Chattooga River Trail (IIRC) runs from the US 76 bridge up (north) along Section III (and further up) and is close to the river at many key spots (including the Narrows?). Flatwater paddlers can paddle from the Section IV take out on Lake Tugalo up to where the river comes into the lake. I remember a sandy beach (or two?) and the most dramatic rapids, the 5 Falls, are an easy scramble upstream.

A section II-III overnighter would be something to consider for less advanced paddlers.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    HIKE IN BARE FEET
    FEED THE BEARS
    DRIVE FAST AND PASS ON CURVES
    RUN WITH YOUR POCKET KNIFE OPEN
    GIVE BLOOD

I'm good with a) and e)...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    I don't mind doing section II and section III however I have never been on section II myself.
    Although I would only want to do it at 1.5+ feet because I did section III at 1.2 feet and it was nothing but scraping. I walked my boat through all of sandy springs, simply because it was the quickest way.

We shouldn't have to worry about the water level all that much with it being fall approaching winter.

Also don't really know about the trail systems just knew that the run beside a good bit of the river.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    going up to the river this weekend,
    I am going to try to get a trail and river map and post it.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    Since I am not getting very many responses, Would more people be interested if it was a spring or summer paddling trip?

This would cut down on cost quite greatly and probably make the trip more fun.
    "Lets Start Today"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast