Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips

VIDEO: High Sierra - Aug/Sept 2015

A couple of friends and I hopped a plane from Nashville to Vegas, commandeered a rental car and drove to the Eastern High Sierra for 5 days of backpacking. Being from the south and hiking in the green canopy, this was a real eye opener. No amount of video, pictures or research can prepare you for how big these mountains truly are or the endless beauty of this area. It was truly amazing.

The altitude was definitely a factor. I had mild altitude sickness for 2 days after arriving and attempting to acclimate for about 24 hours and so did one of the other guys. The forest fires out there caused us to cut the trip 1 day short as we were just tired of breathing it in. Everyday it rolled in earlier and earlier. I elected not to bring the hammock as I was unfamiliar with the terrain and wasn't sure if I would have a place to hang every night. The tent was not comfortable and in retrospect, I could have managed with the hammock.

From Independence, CA we started the 7 mile drive up to Onion Valley. It was 95 degrees in Independence. When we arrived at Onion Valley, it was 65 degrees at around 9200 FT. We spent 5 awesome days in the mountains and I already miss it. Had some great food and brews down in Lone Pine where we spent a night before heading back through Death Valley on our way to Las Vegas. Spent a night in Vegas losing some money at the poker table and flew home with a head full of memories. Enjoy!

Occasional Participant in Reality

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Pheonix
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Brought back great memories from my trip a few years ago. Too bad you didn't bring your hammock. I had permits to do the same hike and we were going to go to Rae Lakes but with all the smoke, I moved my trip up to Desolation Wilderness. Thanks for sharing. I think you were at the exact same spot I camped at. Here's a video link of our trip. http://youtu.be/pfrf65erv4Y

Hammock
    Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips
    wow yeah, Hikingboots. Definitely the places. What a great area.
    Occasional Participant in Reality

• + New Posts