WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types

Long distance hiking with WB Ridgerunner

I've done some research in the forums, and have seen some reference to this, but here goes.

I've pretty sure my next hammock will be the Ridge runner. I currently own two Hennesseys, an explorer and a survivor, both bottom entry.

My go to hammock right now is the Survivor due to it's comfort, but calf ridge pressure (even with angle adjustment and something under my knees) just kills me sometimes. I also like sleeping on my side, but that is not a deal killer.

I plan on doing some more extended day hiking, mostly on the east coast in New England (I take my survivor with me now). Has anyone used the Ridgerunner for multi day hikes, and how has it been? If you have encountered any issues, would you bring it again, or were they deal killers? (I keep my weight low, but I'm not a gram counter, and I currently do not use hiking poles)
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -Stephen Hawking

"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure." -Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    I have hiked extensively with my RR. It is a DL and I use a WB UQ with a JRB topquilt and a HG CF tarp (best purchase in years). I have used an air mattress with it and I liked that a great deal. I just used it to hike 30+ miles in the Collegiate Peaks and it was great. I have two issues: one is that it is a bit finicky for me to hang correctly, and the second has to do with the spreader bars. I have used hiking poles, but I just had one snap. It was an REI Hiking Pole, and when it broke it ruined that night's sleep. I have used Black Diamond poles with success, but I have to admit that I have not used hiking poles since the one broke. So I am now carrying an extra 11 ounces....it is not that big a deal, but it is extra weight, and while I keep my overall weight fairly low (32' for 7 days), I am bummed about having to carry the 5 pieces.

As for comfort the RR is one of the easiest hammocks to insulate. The dedicated WB UQs fit like a glove and are great. No complaints at all about them. The hammock itself is great when sleeping on your back, and I can even sleep on my stomach for short periods. When I sleep on my side and pull one leg up it will sometimes rest on the edge seam, but generally I can find a good side position. Build quality is great. But...the issue with the poles is making me rethink about going to back to a GE. I slept in my HH last night and it was great, but the SS is just a pain and that is why I like the RR better for colder conditions. This said, I will likely order a DH Hybird when that becomes available for order.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    whmoller has great points. I can't seem to leave the RR at home. Hiked 50 miles of the 100 mile wilderness in Maine this summer as well as the Pemi Loop in the Whites and carried all the extra weight without regrets. Is it the reason I can't get down to a lighter base weight? I'm sure it's a big part of it but it's just so easy to sling it up and jump right in at the end of a long days trek. I struggled in a GE for the same reasons you are. Calf ridge, ankle smash, and difficulty getting a good side lay without the UQ messing things up. I was constantly waking up and checking things, waiting for the cold spot. In the RR, I just don't do that anymore. You must get a proper fitting UQ though. I do use a Therma-rest Xtherm (large) if I am going to hike among shelters just in case (my tarp leaked on me once). The only problem I have sleeping in the RR is trying to get myself out of the dang thing at a decent hour in the morning to get started with the next days hike. You will absolutely love the view from this hammock.

Oh, and those saddlebags. Oh my, are they nice.
    Last edited by tramos55; 09-28-2015 at 04:56.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    Thanks for all the info. I think ill place my order soon.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -Stephen Hawking

"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure." -Winston Churchill

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    I recently purchased a RR off the forums here. I've modded the suspension to not have any of the additional pieces past the dog bone suspension triangles. I also picked up a pair of Dutch Cinch-Bugs, so I'll have my dog bones connecting directly at the strap. This has saved some weight, and has also greatly reduced the distance between trees that are required.

I haven't taken it backpacking yet, maybe in November.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Another option for the hiking poles as spreader bars is the Mountain Smith poles with the camera bolts on top. Warbonnet makes an adapter that fits the camera bolts. The advantages to the MS poles is the stress is straight and doesn't take any modification of the poles. I don't like the MS poles as well as some of my cork handled ones, but it is definitely worth the trade off when using the WBRR. You put a 1/2" dowel in the head end pole so that the stress isn't on the connector but is transferred directly from end to end. The foot end works without a dowel because it is the correct length when collapsed.WBRRandArrowheadUQ12102015_02.jpgWBRRandArrowheadUQ12102015_05.jpg

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Another option for the hiking poles as spreader bars is the Mountain Smith poles with the camera bolts on top. Warbonnet makes an adapter that fits the camera bolts. The advantages to the MS poles is the stress is straight and doesn't take any modification of the poles. I don't like the MS poles as well as some of my cork handled ones, but it is definitely worth the trade off when using the WBRR. You put a 1/2" dowel in the head end pole so that the stress isn't on the connector but is transferred directly from end to end. The foot end works without a dowel because it is the correct length when collapsed.WBRRandArrowheadUQ12102015_02.jpgWBRRandArrowheadUQ12102015_05.jpg

The fine thing about the Mountain Smith poles is that they don't actually need the pole tip adapters and don't need a dowel like some other poles.....there are hundreds of us using them for our RR's without any mods to the poles. The shock can be locked so that it does not interfere with the length of the pole.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    The mountain smith poles have worked great for me. I'm 225lb so they are sturdy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've got a pair of BD poles with the angled grip...no good for spreader bars (some have adapted them though). My other pair are some old EMS poles but they're 2-section. Collapsed they're too long for the foot end. I'll break down and get a pair of dedicated hiking/spreader poles eventually when they go on sale.

I've been very happy with my WBRR on the trail but it would be better to ditch the poles at home. It would be nice if the stock poles broke down into a shorter package and were shock-corded together. Carbon-fiber ones would be cool too but that's quite a bit of cash for the weight savings.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    You can order carbon fiber spreader bars from these guys http://rutalocura.com/products.html

Mine work great and are super light

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast