Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 uq
    Suspension
    straps & rings
    Images

Trip Report: The Winds - Cirque of the Towers / Texas Pass

Hi everyone... here's my first official trip report post on Hammockforums. After doing some initial research on the area, I found fellow forum member BillyBob58 who was very instrumental in giving us the assurance we needed that there would be suitable trees for hanging where we were headed. I am extremely grateful for is kindness and quick response as we evaluated the potential of this hike. After a few PM's back and forth, I realized the importance of good trip reports and wanted to contribute. Hopefully the information and pictures will help others who may be considering the same area.

On August 30, 2015, my great friend Bill and I headed out from the Big Sandy Trailhead in the Wind River Range for a week of backpacking and hammock hanging.

Our goal for the trip was to enjoy the beauty of God’s creation while spending some quality time in the hammocks. This was a week focused more on accumulating minutes hanging between two trees while gazing upon granite grandeurs rather than clicking off miles under our feet. The first day was a relatively gentle 6 mile hike to Big Sandy Lake with an elevation gain that was hardly noticeable… a great warmup for the week ahead and a lovely view to start things off right.

We were required to camp at least 200 feet away from the lake and needed to find some suitable trees which required us to move back into the woods a little farther than we had hoped. Still, we managed to find a decent place to set up for the night. We both use HG Cuben Fiber tarps with doors although our hammock choices are not the same. I prefer a gathered end hammock while Bill prefers a bridge hammock.

With our food properly stowed after dinner, we settled in for a relaxing evening in the cool mountain air.

Day 2 started out with a reminder why you should always bring your pack-rod. I didn’t this trip and quickly regretted it.

Unlike yesterday’s gentle ascent to Big Sandy Lake, today’s climb up and over Jacka$$ Pass would require significantly more engagement of both our hearts and our quads. It was also a bit more technical than yesterday’s trail.

The views however, were fabulous.

After reaching what I thought was the top of the pass, we stopped for a snack with a nice view of the lake below. That’s when Bill informed me that not only were we going to hike down to that lake, we had to gain all that elevation back again on the other side… plus more. It was worth it!

Cresting the top of the pass, we were quickly greeted by the peaks that make up the Cirque of the Towers.

A fairly quick descent down toward Lonesome Lake and we were able to fully appreciate the beauty of Pingora Peak.

Lonesome Lake is pretty impressive as well…

Due to the popularity of the Cirque, campsites are required to be at least ¼ mile away from the lake. Bill and I were fortunate to find a bench with the PERFECT clearing in front of us so that we had an almost unobstructed view from the hammocks.

Here are a couple of pics of our setup…

With no rain in the forecast, we were able to sleep without deploying our tarps. This was the first time I’ve been able to do that and it was amazing. The stars and the mostly full moon were brilliant. We decided to make day 3 a layover day and scout the potential ascent up Texas Pass. This is not an officially marked trail although knowing the general direction we needed to head, and thanks to some nicely placed cairns, we plotted our course for the following day. Evening brought with it a few sprinkles and gale-force winds. I was convinced my very expensive HG cuben fiber tarp was going to rip free from the tie-outs and go sailing across the mountain tops. That was not the case however. Adam and Jenny put together one tuff product and it held firm all week during high winds and mega-gusts. Day 4 begins at the bottom of Pingora Peak.

As we begin making our way up toward 11,600 feet, we hear some climbers working their way up the mountain.

Not quite half-way up, and a long way yet to go.

20 minutes later and it’s looking like we might actually make it up this thing.

Sometimes you just don’t realize how far you climbed until you turn around and look back…

And alas, it’s all down hill from here to Shadow Lake.

Shadow Lake certainly didn’t disappoint with a marvelous view of the back side of the Cirque.

Winds were blowing strongly this evening yet we manage to find a place to hang both hammocks with a little bit of protection.

Day 5 is an easy 6 miles from Shadow Lake to Mirror Lake. We actually camped at this same lake 4 years ago while in this same area however we were in a tent that time. It’s a fabulous site and was probably my favorite setup of the week.

I was experimenting with my UQ inside my hammock rather than outside (yes I know it’s supposed to be on the outside however it didn’t seem to be keeping me warm in certain spots and with this new asymmetrical lay, I think I need a longer UQ). Regardless, I didn’t freeze to death and determined to put a new, longer, HG UQ on my Christmas list. Day 6 ended with a 2hr, 5 mile hike out from Mirror Lake back to the trailhead. The pace quickened as thoughts of hamburgers and French fries enter our minds. Even still, there’s always time to stop and appreciate the beauty of a mountain stream.

6 days & 5 nights later, two friends emerge from the backwoods of the Wind River Range strengthened, encouraged, and serving together as brothers in Christ.

Images
    Wow, that is the best trip report on the Winds I have ever seen, maybe about the best trip report period. I felt like I was back out there again. I wish I could have been with you. I can still remember the 1st time I ever laid eyes on Lonesome Lake back in June 85, hiking up from a camp to the east along North Fork Popagie River. It is an unforgettable place IMO.

Thanks for the kind words, I am thrilled I was able to give useful info.

Bill

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooooooooo Buddies))))))) That is artful and amazing.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It is official, I will be looking into the Winds for the next big trip!. Thanks for the TR

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Breathtaking views.....
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Awesome report! I'm planning a trip there next Sept and will bring my fly rod!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/USGI Bag
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Wow! Great job! Very beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    Stunning scenery. Excellent report. Thanks!

• + New Posts