Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    It doesn't matter how wide the hammock is. It only matters how wide YOU are. All underquilts are smaller than the hammocks on which they are used, but they don't need to cover the empty parts of the hammock...
    I think the issue is that wider hammocks allow you to get more diagonal. Since the UQ is usually parallel to the ridge line, but you are laying at an angle to it, a tall person might have a problem of the UQ not being able to cover them at the head and foot ends.

Perhaps in practice there isn't enough difference to matter that much.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'd think the shock cord suspension takes care of that. Since the UQ suspension is not rigid the quilt can follow your body, no matter how close to perpendicular it is in relation to the hammock.

My use of triangle thingies has shown me that by adjusting that suspension to pull the quilt in the direction I want, it end up on the diagonal with me. Pretty sure that would work with stock suspension as well.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    I think the issue is that wider hammocks allow you to get more diagonal. Since the UQ is usually parallel to the ridge line, but you are laying at an angle to it, a tall person might have a problem of the UQ not being able to cover them at the head and foot ends.
    If you lie at such an extreme angle (I guess +45 from the ridgeline), you will have a problem with any underquilt. In that case, you'll probably have to use a pad. However, I haven't observed that wider hammocks really allow you to lie much more diagonally (although it would be interesting to have more data on this) - it's more that a wider hammock a) allows you to lie in different areas (e.g. I tend to lie more on the right side of the hammock, I think) and/or b) allows taller people to lie at a "normal" angle, which they haven't been able to use previously due to the width of their narrower hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    it's more that a wider hammock a) allows you to lie in different areas (e.g. I tend to lie more on the right side of the hammock, I think) and/or b) allows taller people to lie at a "normal" angle, which they haven't been able to use previously due to the width of their narrower hammock.
    Excellent points. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have used longer & shorter, wider & narrower hammocks. Longer & shorter UQs. With the wider hammocks, there is a point of diminishing returns. I don't find that I get a better diagonal, the edges just fold over, especially if it's hung at greater than 30 degrees or so. Length makes a much greater difference & 11' seems to be the sweet spot. Anything around 62" to 66" width has been fine.

As far as the UQ, I have long & short. I personally prefer long. Width doesn't have as much effect as it just puts the edges up higher. If you don't adjust the UQ along the diagonal, then it would probably help (think nubee). Do you want to have an UQ that goes up the sides of your hammock an extra foot on each side past yor body? Is it worth the weight penalty?

The "standard" 42" to 44" width, with the right tensioning, will follow the diagonal. Randy's UQ hooks are a huge help here! I frequently had problems with an edge slipping off in the middle of the night, leading to a cold foot or shoulder. The UQ hooks hold the cords in place for less slippage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12