Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, Utah
    Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Posts
    525

    Grand Trunk Micro Stool

    So this might be slightly pushing the limits of being moved to the donating members section as off topic but I think it fits for two reasons. 1. Grand Trunk makes hammocks. 2. My purpose for looking at these is as a sort of night stand/table under my hammock with the dual purpose of a chair for around camp. Anyone have any experience with these? They are the lightest, most compact chair I've seen available so they have me interested. But a 9" height seems pretty low for sitting, although it would work great as a nightstand. They also have a taller version for an additional $10 but I kinda like the idea of the smaller one. $30 and 10 Oz.

    If you have any experience with these please chime in, I'm really considering getting one to pair with my hammock on my backpacking trips.

  2. #2
    Wanderlost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashland, VA
    Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Posts
    1,438
    Images
    9
    I have one and enjoy it. My only complaint is fairly universal among my lightweight camp chairs. The feet tend to sink it. I poked a hole in my tyvek mat by sitting on my stool once. I've been meaning search online for a fix. I imagine tennis balls would work though.
    73 de W4BKR

    Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

    The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

  3. #3
    Senior Member dirtwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern South Carolina
    Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Posts
    1,803
    Images
    10
    I've looked at those several times, almost bought the micro twice, but find for an extra 9 oz. my mayfly by Alite to be worth the extra weight. Love the back rest, not much of a nightstand though.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    So this might be slightly pushing the limits of being moved to the donating members section as off topic but I think it fits for two reasons. 1. Grand Trunk makes hammocks. 2. My purpose for looking at these is as a sort of night stand/table under my hammock with the dual purpose of a chair for around camp. Anyone have any experience with these? They are the lightest, most compact chair I've seen available so they have me interested. But a 9" height seems pretty low for sitting, although it would work great as a nightstand. They also have a taller version for an additional $10 but I kinda like the idea of the smaller one. $30 and 10 Oz.

    If you have any experience with these please chime in, I'm really considering getting one to pair with my hammock on my backpacking trips.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, Utah
    Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    I have one and enjoy it. My only complaint is fairly universal among my lightweight camp chairs. The feet tend to sink it. I poked a hole in my tyvek mat by sitting on my stool once. I've been meaning search online for a fix. I imagine tennis balls would work though.
    Thanks for the feedback, I think i can work around the feet sinking issue, and as you mentioned, that's with most lightweight camp chairs. How is it for being low to the ground?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, Utah
    Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I've looked at those several times, almost bought the micro twice, but find for an extra 9 oz. my mayfly by Alite to be worth the extra weight. Love the back rest, not much of a nightstand though.
    Perhaps if I had a mayfly I wouldn't purchase this either, but for the price and weight I'm interested, especially since it can do double duty as a nightstand. I can see your point about the back rest though.

  6. #6
    Wanderlost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashland, VA
    Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Posts
    1,438
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I think i can work around the feet sinking issue, and as you mentioned, that's with most lightweight camp chairs. How is it for being low to the ground?
    Honestly, for what is it, it's great. The thing to keep in mind with the micro stool is that is a low stool. Ir doesn't put you in the best position to getting back on your feet again. If you have bad knees or are more gravitationally challenged, getting up could be difficult, especially when/if the feet sink a bit. After a rough day, it's tough for me and the military let me keep my knees.
    73 de W4BKR

    Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

    The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

  7. #7
    Senior Member dirtwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern South Carolina
    Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Posts
    1,803
    Images
    10
    Understood, I picked up 2 mayfly's for $25 ea at an REI yardsale, Alite replaced the damaged support structure so these are like new. I have ised them as a nightstand by using a stick for a leg. I still like the idea of a 10 oz chair, some folk use their bear keg as their chair, dual purpose, gotta love it. When I venture into those areas that will likely be my path.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    Perhaps if I had a mayfly I wouldn't purchase this either, but for the price and weight I'm interested, especially since it can do double duty as a nightstand. I can see your point about the back rest though.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Fruit Heights, Utah
    Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Posts
    525
    I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll end up with one eventually, but for now I guess I'll just have to window shop a bit more. I just found out the wife signed up for a $200 six week crossfit class so that's gonna eat up some spending money for a bit. Maybe I'll make the 45 minute drive to Cabela's to test it out at some point.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ShortRound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia Is For Lovers
    Hammock
    Dw Chameleon/ Half Zipped/ Netless
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Posts
    446
    Images
    45
    I have one & love it! It is soooo compact & light. It does sit low , but it gets you off your feet. It's great to have around a camp fire or during a cook. It has no back support so after a while it can be uncomfortable, but thats when i'm usually off to call it a night & go hang / sleep anyway. It appears a couple companies make this exact same stool too. Iv'e used a lot of grand trunk stuff & love / trust it , so i got one & don't regret it.

  10. #10
    OneClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wasteland that is IN
    Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Posts
    11,347
    Images
    20
    I started off liking it, testing it in my basement. But on anything but hard floor, it's a no-go. If you sink even 1" in the ground, it's bad news. It's already so low. For that price, I don't think it would be worth my time to sell it. So it sits on my gear shelf.

    Quick review on some stools: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=stool+micro

    My feelings on the grand trunk micro really went south lately, especially after some "shocking feeling" lower back pain that won't go away.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Grand Trunk UL or Grand Trunk Nano 7
      By shaq67225 in forum Archived WTB
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-12-2014, 08:09
    2. ENO DN vs grand trunk SBP
      By TheIrishmanHangeth in forum Eagles Nest Hammocks
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 02-15-2014, 14:15
    3. Grand Trunk
      By Running Feather in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 12-08-2011, 18:21

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •