Whipped ends WM Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Azt

Any AZTers using hammocks? My wife and I are going NOBO in March and just curious how often we should be prepared to be on the ground. May change our gear list considerations.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Okay, maybe nobody has ever hiked the Arizona Trail with a hammock (my wife and I may be the first).

Hangers in AZ, any wisdom out there as to sections I should expect to sleep on the ground?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have never hike any part of the AZ trail (that I'm aware of). I would think you would struggle quite a bit using a hammock the whole way but I really haven't looked into it. In fact I dont even know where NOBO is.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    once you get into the mtns or "sky islands" in the first 40 miles or so, anything above 5-6K' should have reliable trees. the areas between tucson and superior may be a little "iffy"
    i dont think the stuff north of the Superstitions should be any issue whatsoever. As soon as you stay at Reavis, you'll enter the Mazatzals and you may have one night or two on the ground but the weather can be good enough to just use your hammock tarp (not a stock HH, too small)
    After the Mazzies you'll climb up onto the Mogollon and then youre set for trees for a long, long time as you walk thru the largest single stand of Ponderosas in the world.
    You may have issue north of Humprhey's until you get to the n. rim of grand canyon. but there are plenty of opportunites to hang from junipers and oaks. sometimes part of the fun is finding ways to hang from trees other than pines!

anyway, many of the trails where you think have no trees are in riparian or semi-arid creekbeds and such and you'll find sycamores and cottonwoods to hang from with a little bit of huntin'

good journey on your travels and keep us in touch!

I know a guy who raced it on his bike and used a hammock every night. He had to get creative one night (using the big sign posts) but he made it work.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9 Double
    Roadtorque, in an attempt to display my new found knowledge, and a willingness to allow myself a moment of foolishness in case what I think I know is not so, NOBO refers to northbound on the trail, starting at the sourthernmost point.
    I am open to corrections, but please be gentle

Haven't hiked in AZ but I live in Mesa. Keep us posted on your trip. Good Luck!

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    once you get into the mtns or "sky islands" in the first 40 miles or so, anything above 5-6K' should have reliable trees. the areas between tucson and superior may be a little "iffy"
    i dont think the stuff north of the Superstitions should be any issue whatsoever. As soon as you stay at Reavis, you'll enter the Mazatzals and you may have one night or two on the ground but the weather can be good enough to just use your hammock tarp (not a stock HH, too small)
    After the Mazzies you'll climb up onto the Mogollon and then youre set for trees for a long, long time as you walk thru the largest single stand of Ponderosas in the world.
    You may have issue north of Humprhey's until you get to the n. rim of grand canyon. but there are plenty of opportunites to hang from junipers and oaks. sometimes part of the fun is finding ways to hang from trees other than pines!

anyway, many of the trails where you think have no trees are in riparian or semi-arid creekbeds and such and you'll find sycamores and cottonwoods to hang from with a little bit of huntin'

good journey on your travels and keep us in touch!
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge te-wa. You're correct about the riparian and creek beds, have used tree islands on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by miboso View Post
    Roadtorque, in an attempt to display my new found knowledge, and a willingness to allow myself a moment of foolishness in case what I think I know is not so, NOBO refers to northbound on the trail, starting at the sourthernmost point.
    I am open to corrections, but please be gentle
    Yup, you're correct. I have to chuckle, so often I find myself wondering what an acronym stands for on these forums, now I'm doing it to others, woops.

Quote Originally Posted by JNanson View Post
    Haven't hiked in AZ but I live in Mesa. Keep us posted on your trip. Good Luck!
    I most certainly will. Will be checking up on HF whenever I can.

• + New Posts