Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marlin Spike Question

I've been using Whoopie Slings on my Lite Owl and really like them. I've been using the Marlin Spike Hitch, but I've been using caribiner instead of toggles. I think I'm ready to try the toggles. I've not had any issues with the caribiners. I've always reasoned they are not that heavy and I could always double purpose them when not sleeping if an emergency arose. I think I'd like to try the toggle, but I do have a question that I think the caribiner eliminated. I know you put the sling on the knot, not the toggle. Has anyone ever had the sling slip off the knot when turning in the hammock. For example, rolling on your side or rolling from side to you back. Just wondered if anyone had that occur? TNX.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    If set up correctly once the hammock is weighted the slings should not be able to move and come off the knot. When there is little to no weight on the hammock then it moving around could let the slings move enough but not once it's set solid on the knot.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    Yeah right when you set it up before you first get in the hammock is the time to double check. The first one you set up can come loose a little when doing the other side. Just a quick check before getting in is all you need.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    +1....With pretty wide webbing I find the loop will somewhat slide up under the top wrap of the MSH, kind of locking it in place. The nicest thing about toggles, especially the thin aluminum tubing I use, is that they are much lighter and just slide right out of the knot. You don't have to worry about loosening the straps.

I use an identical toggle for my bear bag (PCT method). This gives me a spare if by chance I lost one off the hammock. That's not likely since I have them attached to the whoopies with a small loop of reflective cord (serves as a "bead" to prevent the loop from pulling through).

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I always put a little weight on the whoopie and then double check. The whoopie usually slips down and behind the top part of the knot and I don't think there is any way it can slip out on its own when there's any weight on it.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I didn't think it would "jump out" as long as weight was in the hammock (even while turning over). I guess if I tried some of those acrobatic hammock maneuvers that Shug performs, I might expect a little fall.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    No but I've had my toggle crush and break which is why I went to biners. Like you I figure they don't weigh anything, I can multi purpose them, and it is easier for my kids to set their gear up. Also we hang our backpacks of the biner as well.

Just double check that the slings haven't moved off the knot on to the toggle. After the first time my *** hit the ground from about 4' due to that slippage (unweighted hammock w/ a bit of wind) I just take a half second to double check. Also my tree straps are 1" nylon and the whoopies really cinch in under the knot after I toss some weight in, then they don't come back out until I break down camp!

Hammock
    TE Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was having some issues with mine as well and I think it is because my webbing is too thin. I ordered some thicker webbing and will sew up some bigger ones to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for bringing this up! i has bothered e for a while.

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Carbon fiber marling spikes

Quote Originally Posted by IbeforeEexceptafterC View Post
    I was having some issues with mine as well and I think it is because my webbing is too thin. I ordered some thicker webbing and will sew up some bigger ones to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for bringing this up! i has bothered e for a while.
    I went to my local Goodwill (or Salvation Army) and picked up a carbon fiber golf club for $1 and cut 2 marlin spikes from the narrow end. Use a tubing cutter to reduce the fraying and carefully drill a small hole through one side for a masons line tether. Works great for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast