Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Hey Michael don't let that stop you. There will be enough gear to keep you warm on hand that you can borrow if you need to. I have spent a night or two being slightly cold in my hammock myself. If you can com early enough we would help you setup take a look at your gear and let you know what we think and give suggestions or additional gear if needed.

I remember going on a trip where it was suppose to be in the 30's for lows and one night we were in the teens. We were a little cool through the night. We learned what we could do to stay warm.

So come bring what you have and we make sure you will be warm throughout the night. Bring a Nalgene or two and we can fill them up with hot water at night and you won't believe how that can help. N
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight
    Tarp
    Backpacker Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessey
    mcody, don't be like me! I think this hang will be awesome for you. These folk seem top notch and will be able to figure it all out for you.

Nighthauk, thanks so much for your encouragement. As I've alluded to in past posts in this thread, cold weather has a really big impact on me - I don't really have adequate blood circulation into my hands and feet which compounds all of the usual issues with exposure to cold. I'm sure that with everybody's help I could be nice and cozy over night, but I'm also looking at spending the day times in freezing conditions, and that is just as big of an issue. Maybe a bigger issue.

I'm really looking forward to attending a hang with you all when the temperatures are a better suited to my own body's ability to cope.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch
    I have been on the fence about this hang for a while, so last night I set up in the backyard and had a nice warm, comfortable sleep with the temps dropping to 23*. I got to test out my new Griz Beaks I got from 2QZQ and the overlapping doors work really well and I was able to keep the heavy condensation issues that I had at last years hang at bay. However I did have some gut issues related to the skin cleansing that I am doing this month for sun damage, and subsequently I am going to have to bail on this hang. See you all in the Spring and have a great time.
    Joe

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I too have issues with circulation in my hands feet and ears. The day time is actually really easy to stay warm at this hang. The fire is always roasting, and food simmering and the warm clothing usually starts peeling off because of the heat. Night time is fixed for me with adding a nalgene filled with hot water. If you're afraid of daytime temps, don't.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Whooo hooooo my order from Amok just came in. I will have my Draumr hanging this weekend. Very curious about this hammock.
    Hey Tim,

Congrats on the Draumr 3.0. I also have one. I am at the upper end of the recommended size (height) for this hammock being 6.1". I have learned to dial it in pretty well in order to get a comfy sleep. Getting in and out is always a challenge but there are some techniques that I'm sure you'll master that will make you look more graceful than me.

I use an Exped SynMat 9 LW Air Pad with an R Value of 6. That's a pretty good R Value, BUT...... despite that value, it sleeps cold. (Very cold). Picture yourself sleeping in the side car of a duly equipped motorcycle. You are fully exposed on the top side. Other than the bug net if you choose to deploy it, you are staring up at your Amok Tarp above you. There is PLENTY of air circulation between you and the tarp. At this point in its development there is no cold weather sock or other topside cover to seal you in. As such, in cold, cold weather, you need a good Balaclava, Mitts, Socks, etc.... and a good TQ to seal in the heat.

As one Amok brother to another........ Bring a back up set up with you in case you have to switch during the night. Your bridge is tried and true so you know that will do it.

I consider my Amok as a solid 2 1/2 season hammock suitable for car camping not backpacking (too heavy). The 2 1/2 seasons are 3/4ths of the back end of Spring; 3/4ths of the front end of Fall and all of the Summer.

I think in the warmer weather, even the Spring hang in Ashby, or wherever we'll be this Spring, it should be just fine.

Just my observations.

I am in the unfortunate position of having two hearings that started before Christmas for one of my client's, carry over to this week, ie., Wed, Thu and Fri. As such, I will not be able to make this hang, although, if things work out right on Saturday, I may be able to head up to the Scout Reservation Saturday afternoon and drop off some dessert for Saturday night.

All the best to you, Lil Princess and the kids, and best wises for a fun and uneventful hang this week-end.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Thanks Gil for the heads up.

Folks: here are directions.

From Berkshire County:New York side.
    Take Route 8 south to Hinsdale. Pick up Route 143. Travel east on Route 143 for approximately 20 miles till you pass Surgarhill Rd. On the left and Curtis Rd. On the right. From there is is about 500yards on the right. You can see a Large yellow V plow with the Chesterfield highway department written on it. It is a dirt road on the left BEFORE THE HIGHWAY DEPT. there is a metal gate that will be open. Drive in a couple hundred yards til you see the hammocks.

From Hampshire/Franklin Counties:
    Take I-91, to exit 19 in Northampton. Head West on Route 9, towards Chesterfield and Williamsburg. After traveling through Williamsburg, you will take a left on Route 143 West (there is a small BSA Camp sign). Follow Route 143 for approximately 4 miles, and turn right onto A dirt road Directly after the Highway department with a Bright yellow Plow in the front. there is a metal gate that will be open. Drive in a couple hundred yards til you see the hammocks

Got GPS?
    Your target destination should be: 164 Main Rd. Chesterfield Ma 01096
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Here is the Map:

Chesterfield

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    still tweaking
    Hey Nighthauk.... you may have missed a minus sign on your pad! The downmat 7LW is rated at -11.4*. I double checked because I have a synmat 7 and it's rated for 1.4*. I will be rigging some kind of overcover with either poncho liners or canvas. See you in a few days!

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Hey folks so people can plan accordingly for food can you confirm that you are coming and what you might bring for food.
    Done.

Hey Tim. Are we having a raffle at this hang? I haven't had time to keep up on the thread.

Thanks
    --
    John

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Yes will be having a raffle. We do have things from vendors like HG, Tato, 2qzq and others. It will be held Saturday around noon.

Civetta while you are correct for the ratings I was wrong on my mat. I actually have a Exped 5m. Which is 11*. Oops on my part.
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast