Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before someone patents the ring buckle support system.
    You have discovered my plan. I was going to patent it and then sue everyone who uses it and then retire.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Ok, so now we need to find an article about a prehistoric ring-buckle type support system to fight off that patent.

Images
    I've set through a couple long and boring lectures on intellectial property rights concerning anything that I would develop while in college.

I wonder if the same concept holds true with something that you post in a public place. I know the moral part of me would give credit and rights where it is due, but I wonder what legal rights it entails.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Ok, so now we need to find an article about a prehistoric ring-buckle type support system to fight off that patent.
    Look to the fashionable belts of the 80's.

Images
    Well, since the ring buckle system is definitely already in the public domain.... someone can try to patent it, but it won't hold up to scrutiny
    Last edited by Frolicking Dino; 05-31-2007 at 12:34. Reason: Deleted info that was proven false

Images

Opinions are like.......

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    You know Tom may be angry at the forums because we disassembled one of his hammocks and posted some instructions on how to incorporate his design features into a DIY hammock. It seems his attitude toward DIY'ers is pretty bad.
    I don't think Tom would get upset with what "we" did. He did the same thing when he got started. A quote from the HH website:

"....finally decided to duplicate my old army hammock from memory during my winter vacation.

I purchased all the materials ......and flew to Florida to visit my mother, who had taught me to sew when I was 10 and still had her original 1949 sewing machine
    .........As I was cutting and sewing, I began to see ways to overcome some of the army hammock's shortcomings.......

The prototype needed to be more spacious inside to eliminate any sense of claustrophobia. It needed to be wider to allow resting or sleeping on the diagonal without curving your back. The netting had to be increased to improve air circulation and the weather fly needed to be adjustable and removable to create an open and airy feeling during good weather and yet close up for protection at night or during inclement weather.

Over the next five years I made over fifty different prototypes ......."

He did a great job improving a product he liked and respected. I am sure he knows that is just what we are doing.

As far as the patents go... If you are going to make and sell a product of innovative design, you have got to CYA.

I have not read all the comments on this thread, but from what I have seen I think there is a lot of emotional and judgemental venting going on. That is not what I come to this forum for. I come here to gain and share information, not feelings and emotions. That is what I pay my therapist for.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonbmw View Post
    I have not read all the comments on this thread, but from what I have seen I think there is a lot of emotional and judgemental venting going on. That is not what I come to this forum for. I come here to gain and share information, not feelings and emotions.
    I agree with you, wilsonbmw. I think that almost everything that needs to be said about patents has been said and everyone has had a chance to voice their opinions. There are already some comments about the issue spilling over in other threads too. Perhaps the thread should just be closed until there are further developments? I don't want to stifle anyone who has something to say, but it seems to be approaching 'beating a dead horse' status. JMO.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonbmw View Post
    I don't think Tom would get upset with what "we" did. He did the same thing when he got started. A quote from the HH website:

"....finally decided to duplicate my old army hammock from memory during my winter vacation.

I purchased all the materials ......and flew to Florida to visit my mother, who had taught me to sew when I was 10 and still had her original 1949 sewing machine
    .........As I was cutting and sewing, I began to see ways to overcome some of the army hammock's shortcomings.......

The prototype needed to be more spacious inside to eliminate any sense of claustrophobia. It needed to be wider to allow resting or sleeping on the diagonal without curving your back. The netting had to be increased to improve air circulation and the weather fly needed to be adjustable and removable to create an open and airy feeling during good weather and yet close up for protection at night or during inclement weather.

Over the next five years I made over fifty different prototypes ......."

He did a great job improving a product he liked and respected. I am sure he knows that is just what we are doing.

As far as the patents go... If you are going to make and sell a product of innovative design, you have got to CYA.

I have not read all the comments on this thread, but from what I have seen I think there is a lot of emotional and judgemental venting going on. That is not what I come to this forum for. I come here to gain and share information, not feelings and emotions. That is what I pay my therapist for.
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I agree with you, wilsonbmw. I think that almost everything that needs to be said about patents has been said and everyone has had a chance to voice their opinions. There are already some comments about the issue spilling over in other threads too. Perhaps the thread should just be closed until there are further developments? I don't want to stifle anyone who has something to say, but it seems to be approaching 'beating a dead horse' status. JMO.

I see what you guys are saying.

Maybe we should all agree not to add anything to the discussion unless we are furthering it with new information.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Um, how about the ancient ring buckle support system, still in use today.....

holding up my pants?

ok, taken already...

How about the ancient ring buckle system, used to hold on my ARMOR!!! lol
    Last edited by Ramble On; 05-24-2007 at 11:45. Reason: belt example taken, quick scramble for a new example....

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    The impression I got from reading about Hennessy ridge line is that the innovation being claimed is that it is a structural ridgeline (sets the sag), and not that he was claiming to be the first person to ever tie a string from one end to the other to hang stuff on (tarp, netting, etc.).

Of course this is just the impression I got from his website and the patents, I haven't had any personal interaction as some have had here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast