Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Question: Should it even matter what material the ridgeline is?

Whether it is a 4x4 post, a piece of bamboo, webbing, or a length of rope, it all sets the sag of the hammock. Subbing one material for the other is not novel or innovative. Structural ridgelines have been around for a lonnnng time.
    Last edited by ryndel; 06-01-2007 at 10:29.

Images
    My first hammock and the one I currently use is a HH...but after reading all of these post I think my next one will be a DIY asym hammock with an adjustable ridge line and side tie-outs. No more HH for me.

This whole patent thing really makes me mad. I can't believe the nerve of TH. This guy even patented snakeskins for Pete's sake!?! Whats next?!!?

Ya know come to think of it...this thread further reminds me of just what a class act Patrick from Kick-*** quilts is. This guy sells a unique synthetic underquilt design but at the same time he has a step by step guide on his web page for DIYers.

Imagine TH ever doing that with his snakeskins rather then going patent crazy.....
    Last edited by Chump_Monkey; 06-22-2007 at 15:15.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chump_Monkey View Post
    This whole patent thing really makes me mad. I can't believe the nerve of TH. This guy even patented snakeskins for Pete's sake!?! Whats next?!!?

Ya know come to think of it...this thread further reminds me of just what a class act Patrick from Kick-*** quilts is. This guy sells a unique synthetic underquilt but design but at the same time he has a step by step guide on his web page for DIYers.

Imagine TH ever doing that with his snakeskins rather then going patent crazy.....
    Don't worry. Jeff and JRB have instructions for DIY snake skins on their site.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

America

And who says america "aint" the greatest place on earth. To expound further would prove my insanity

My whole issue with Hennessy is that they should say "Made in China" upfront. That, to me, is a bigger issue than DIY patent "infringement."

Rick

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I hesitate to reveal my ideas before I patent them, but you all may see my unbelievable, magnificent "Cantilevered Hanging Bed" (NOT a hammock) hanging between two trees within the year if it works (It may not). Just something to perhaps show that we still can have new ideas that do not include necessarily or build upon someone's patents. $%*^, can't we get past the hanging sheet?
    Why are we limiting ourselves to slight changes and precise technical writing skills when it comes to our love of being out of doors and comfortable while being there. I love this group already and I am so new here. You are all awesome. I enjoy and have read every word of this interesting thread. But I don't give a #^#@ about the law. I am going outdoors to be free.
    Now please indulge my folly for a moment....
    In the world of make-believe, we are prone to believe we are important and we might even be the center of our universe. Such a pity. If that were true, our universes would be so tiny and uninteresting (and sadly, many of them in fact are). In my humble opinion, (and I think also in Christ's and Buddha's and countless other's) the EGO with which we protect our non-existent persons (as well as our ideas, opinions and patents) is also non-existent. It is just THERE making itself seem real to help this organism to survive. Once we realize that, we can drop the very idea of it.
    It was once said, "There is nothing new under the sun." When we speak of the wonder of nature, there needn't be an "I" in the expression. The "I" is always extra and must be added by our egos. We are not important in that way and we are not individually unique or special... we are much more than that, we are simply awesome beyond imagination and made in the image of something unexplainable and beyond comprehension, wonderful and unspeakable. To speak of it would make it seem less than it is.
    That said, patents are indeed important in our temporal, material world as is the law, both are extremely limiting and weak.
    It was also once said, "Give to Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, ........ ," you know the story.
    Now, finally, THAT said, I am going to join my unspeakable, awesome, imaginary self with a wonderful wild place and know that patents, laws and the thoughts of them out there in the wilderness (or even our back yards) are not going to spoil the pleasure I get and the oneness I share with it all as I lie on my sheet of woven star-stuff and sleep.
    Forgive my rambling, for certainly this too is nonsense, and yet may be more real than our feelings of anger, etc., and is perhaps closer to what's important than even what a jury of our peers deciding the matter might deliver as an edict.
    The joy of life may sometimes lie in being able to smile while our ego's battle out the unnecessary. I sometimes fret over this or that, and all the while am being flung headlong across the universe with precious little time to notice.
    Just my thoughts. Nothing to fret about. Thanks for enduring them. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks like we've got ourselves a hammock philosopher in Mule. Interesting view and similar to mine; I like to think of myself as a cosmic fur ball sometimes.

I've deleted THe rant THat followed; no sense in kicking an old hornet's nest.

Oh yeah, I put a ridgeline on my hammock. Nanny nanny boo boo!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I just finished reading through all 19 pages including links to patents and Tom's answers to some of the issues posted here...since I just sold my Hennessy, preferring the Clark design, and am not a lawyer or designer I shall keep my thoughts on the subject to myself not wishing to add fuel to the fire...

I just wanted to let you know that there is no other forum that I have been in where I have carefully read 19 pages in one thread because it was so interesting. There are some good minds in here...

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I love my HH Hyperlight with ring/buckles supports. Definitely a starter hammock I'd start with again.
    Same with my UL Backpacker. Tom and family have treated me great, but I'm not a manufacturer. I think that he may be acting too aggressively, but I'd imagine that it has a basis in earlier issues.

I'm using the hammock that's right for me. everyone else should do the same.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Same with my UL Backpacker. Tom and family have treated me great, but I'm not a manufacturer. I think that he may be acting too aggressively, but I'd imagine that it has a basis in earlier issues.

I'm using the hammock that's right for me. everyone else should do the same.
    Very true......oh yea....I sold my Hyperlight to Mixinmaster.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast