WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images

Indoor hanging (no stand, no screws, no drilling required)

Hey guys,

I have read several posts on indoor hanging and most of the mothods require either drilling or building a stand. So let's get down to it.
    This is the set up:
    IMG_20151003_101034.jpgIMG_20151003_101021.jpg

I am hanging in the basement hallway. It is not optimal, but it does the trick. I have to use the basement because I can use part of an old punching ball set up.

I didn't want to punch a big hole in my walls or build a hammock stand. The first causes a lot of damage that may be annoying to fix at a later point, the other one requires time and money. I still wanted to get more time hanging and the backyard is really small and doesnt have any trees or fences to hang from. But I remembered that my TRX straps came with a door anchor:
    IMG_20151003_101316.jpg
    https://www.trxtraining.com/products/trx-door-anchor--2
    There are videos for making your own door anchor with a tree strap and a towel (or a sock). Maybe I will try that, if I dare... I have also found one thread discussing hanging in hotel with pretty much the same principle (just using knots). But my rope is pretty slippery and I am not sure my knot would hold. There probably is something good in the knot booklet...

These door anchors are supposed to hold the body weight of a person exercising, so they held the hammock and me in it without complaint. I have done this a couple of nights now and never had to worry about safety once. The door anchor works best, if the door opens to the outside, that is away from the hammock. If have tried exercising on a door that opened inwards and after 10 minutes I noticed that I was slowly pulling out the hinges... If you have a really sturdy door, it might work with a door that opens inwards. Be careful and mindful if you try it though.
    This is what the door anchor like from the other side of the door:
    IMG_20151003_101236.jpg
    This is what the door anchor looks like on an open door (don't try to use it like that ):
    IMG_20151003_101244.jpg

Since I only have one of these neat door anchors, I had to use a hook drilled deep into the ceiling of the other room. I have done pull ups on that one, so it will hold easily:
    IMG_20151003_101043.jpg
    The suspension has to bend around the door frame, but it has no sharp edges and the straps are supposed to hold on trees, so they wont mind the door frame...

If you want to try this, you will need two doors opening away from the room you want to hang in, spaced apart far enough from each other.

Considering how comfortable I sleep in my hammock, I may resort to installing some hooks in the walls of my bedroom though. It is much nicer than the basement hallway... Or if I built another anchor with a towel, I could at least hang in the upstairs hallway

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Hmmm I don't know why the pics are sideways

You need conveniently located doors, don't you?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Some doors and frames are sturdy. They are rare. Most are among the weakest part of any home.

Do this with great care ... and as always, hang no higher than you are willing to fall.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Similar idea: an S-hook from an upper door hinge (pin-side) as noted above, you need conveniently located doors, plus, while in use the door can't be used which could be troublesome in the event of a fire.

Also, I tried this at work on a particularly long night, but unknown to me, the door pin was spring-loaded. My weight in the hammock was enough to press in the bottom pin and allow the top one to pull out. I dont remember why it didn't fall on me,but it took me a while to figure out how to put it back in without tools or a helper lol

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvano View Post
    You need conveniently located doors, don't you?
    Yes! Lucky me I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Some doors and frames are sturdy. They are rare. Most are among the weakest part of any home.

Do this with great care ... and as always, hang no higher than you are willing to fall.
    Most doors I have encountered in Germany are pretty sturdy. But I remember some doors in the U.S. to be rather weak.
    Definitely do it with great care! The first time I tried it, I put a matress under just to be safe.

The rooms I am blocking while hanging have no exit and no people in there, so it isn't a fire hazard. I did not consider this but if you use these door anchors, ppl will have a very hard time opening the door from the outside!

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    I have done the same thing at home, without accidents so far

But be aware the forces you put on a door with a hammock is much stronger than the TRX. There is an excellent calculator that show you the forces at play. http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Try typing in you data and see what values you get. Especially if you have a low "hang angle" you might be surprised
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I'm pretty lightweight I think... Since I have no idea what forces my doors can manage, calcualting the forces didn't mean much to me. It's less than I can lift

• + New Posts