Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    Costco Down Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel

Costco Down Throw Underquilt

Since my Clemson Tigers (thus my obsession with purple and orange) don't kick off until 8pm this evening, i figured I'd work on my Costco down underquilt. These quilts are listed as 60"x70" but mine are really about 58"x68". Since just folding it in half the long way would only give me a 34" wide underquilt, I decided to see if I could get one a little bit wider. I'm 6'1" and am pretty wide through the shoulders and I hate being cold. This is what I came up with.
    2015-09-30 23.14.49.jpg

Using the diagonal folds, I got the width across to be 38". In order to test my design, I created a couple of ripstop channels and attached them to the sides with clips. Since I don't have any shock cord yet I temporarily strung it up with some small paracord and tested it out. It seemed to work well. Since it's asymmetrical, I made it to follow my lay in the hammock. I tend to lay head left and feet right. In testing, it seemed to come up around my shoulders well and extended down to my calf. The double layer was right around my core too. In theory, I think this should work well. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to since I'm just starting with all of this.

For permanent fitting, I created a couple of side channels that would add about 8" to each side. I'm thinking this will help get the quilt suspension up around me better.
    2015-10-03 12.58.33.jpg

2015-10-03 13.22.27.jpg
    Once I sewed them on, I created a couple of small channels for the ends. This is the final product.
    The inside, toward the hammock:
    2015-10-03 15.26.27.jpg

The outside, toward the ground:
    2015-10-03 15.28.05.jpg

Looking at it, I think it will work well. I'm trying to decide whether I should sew the edges of the folded in pieces together. I think I'll test it out a bit with a safety pin first. It may not make any difference. I'm happy with the result. I still have 2 more to do but I'm going to wait until I can test it first. Now I just need my shock cord order to arrive.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    That looks like a decent UQ design! I wonder though, since you've effectively doubled up the material where the folds are, what are you going to do about the head and foot triangles if you don't add extra stuff there? Would it have cold spots on those two points, and maybe a line of cooler zone in the middle where the doubled material meets?
    I bought two of them, so that I can use them as top quilts in my army Bivy sack for both hammocking and ground camping, but now I am wondering if I should get two more and turn them into UQs....maybe find a way so that I can layer up two UQs together without compressing too much, and if not needed, move one over to what is essentially an oversized pod... not sure yet.

Hammock
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    Costco Down Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    That looks like a decent UQ design! I wonder though, since you've effectively doubled up the material where the folds are, what are you going to do about the head and foot triangles if you don't add extra stuff there? Would it have cold spots on those two points, and maybe a line of cooler zone in the middle where the doubled material meets?
    I bought two of them, so that I can use them as top quilts in my army Bivy sack for both hammocking and ground camping, but now I am wondering if I should get two more and turn them into UQs....maybe find a way so that I can layer up two UQs together without compressing too much, and if not needed, move one over to what is essentially an oversized pod... not sure yet.
    The short answer is, I don't know. I'm hoping gathering the ends a little to make it snug up to the hammock will help with the single layer there. I'm contemplating sewing the edges of the folded ends together to eliminate that gap. Plus, I think this will keep the two layers from compressing each other. I'm planning on testing it out once I get my shock cord. More to come.

Images
    Clever idea- thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Impressive. Looks sharp too.
    www.prestonspringer.com

“A dead thing goes with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker Single
    Tarp
    Integ Desig Poncho
    Insulation
    TQ:goLite20 UQ:tbd
    Suspension
    KvlarStrp n MuleTp
    Images
    Awesome idea. I've been trying out the diagonal as well (as a pod) but it's still in clothes peg mode. I'm scared of the thread injector. Looks like a very nice & neat sewing job. Would love to see what yours looks like up and hanging. Perhaps some velcro tabs on the internal flaps to keep the inside layer together if you don't want to sew them shut permanently?
    ~Cnugget

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler Double-Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Costco Throw UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes maybe velcro the top layer - then you can always slip in a pad or thin foam if needed. This is what I decided to do for now with my Costco Throw UQ until I use it for a while and figure out all of the things I'm currently unsure about I went out with mine early this morning @ 50 degrees. Definitely need 2 layers for 50 degrees. I have some thin (3/16") foam I got from Oware.com I have cut to slip in there if I need it. I think I will have it ready tonight, it gets into the 40's here now (PNW).

Hammock
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    Costco Down Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by nugget View Post
    Awesome idea. I've been trying out the diagonal as well (as a pod) but it's still in clothes peg mode. I'm scared of the thread injector. Looks like a very nice & neat sewing job. Would love to see what yours looks like up and hanging. Perhaps some velcro tabs on the internal flaps to keep the inside layer together if you don't want to sew them shut permanently?
    That's a great idea. I think I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerR View Post
    Yes maybe velcro the top layer - then you can always slip in a pad or thin foam if needed. This is what I decided to do for now with my Costco Throw UQ until I use it for a while and figure out all of the things I'm currently unsure about I went out with mine early this morning @ 50 degrees. Definitely need 2 layers for 50 degrees. I have some thin (3/16") foam I got from Oware.com I have cut to slip in there if I need it. I think I will have it ready tonight, it gets into the 40's here now (PNW).
    I was thinking about a closed cell pad or reflectix if I ever needed more insulation. Sliding it between the 2 layers would be pretty easy. Once I can get it hung I think I will try it and see how well it works. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler Double-Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Costco Throw UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nugget View Post
    Just get started. Seriously, I have sewn very little, and that only being a few straight lines on thrift store clothes in order to make a halloween costume. I hesitated quite a bit but then dove in. It's only $20 after all, right? I am generally pretty handy around the house with repairs and remodeling projects, and I did just fine. Who knew a sewing machine has so many cool features? It's taken me almost two weeks of thinking, researching, fiddling, prototyping, fitting, re-fitting, measuring, pinning, clipping, taping and sewing to get my Costco UQ completed, and I love it. I am new to the hammock world and have no UQ experience, and at some point I may find that my UQ may fall short in some areas, but I can't believe I made something that looks and works pretty cool. That, and chipping away at the life-long mental block I have of starting something that I am not already perfect at, was worth it

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blide View Post
    Since my Clemson Tigers (thus my obsession with purple and orange) don't kick off until 8pm this evening....
    What do you mean, "obsession"? Isn't it innate and natural to love orange and purple?!!! ~wink~ I attended the game!!! GO TIGERS!!!

Rain Man
    Clemson '75

P.S. Thanks for the nifty diagonal idea. I bought 8 of those things, but due to working, hosting AT thru-hikers from NH at our home, kayak camping with Neo, and coming to South Carolina (where I am till in the morning), I have yet to start experimenting on any. Glad to have new way to look at them, once I'm home and recuperating! LOL
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast