Tarp
    CCH 11ft Tarp/door
    Insulation
    CCH 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dutch hooks clips
    Images

How Long Do Hammocks And Suspension Last

Here is a newbie question. As I have been looking through the forum posts I haven't seen anyone talk about how long hammocks and suspension last. Is there a shelf life? Does the suspension wear out? Does the hammock material wear out? Or do you just monitor the condition of everything and replace things as you need to, or replace the whole unit if you get a hole for tear in it?
    This information will help me to decide whether to go new or used when I decide what I want to buy.

Jay

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH
    That's a great question. I'm curious as well, since I'm also new to the hammock thing. Can you be more specific on the suspension part? Whoopie slings? Straps and buckles? Straps and Marlin spike, etc...
    RB
    https://lighterpack.com/r/axwxk6

Hammock
    WBBB XLC,HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/Strap
    Hammocks and suspension generally don't get much UV degradation. Tarps are another story. Most don't leave their gear hanging for long periods. Indoor gear can last forever.. or it seems that way. BUT .. We all replace our gear LONG before it shows any sign of wear. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.. eh???

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I'm guessing how long a rig last varies. Ultra light gear might not be expected to last as long as bomb proof heavy duty gear. Any gear that gets extra heavy use might not last as long; such as more than one person in hammock at a time, dropping hammock and stepping on hammock during setup, packing and storing rig wet, prolonged exposure to sunlight, and chemicals, fabric flaws before assembly, poor quality sewing. Knives pens etc. in pockets--all this and more can affect longevity of your hammock. And another is twigs getting inside of double layer hammock. Your hammock might last one to ten years or more depending on initial quality and how it's used over the years. Inspect all gear after each trip and replace before you are replaced. Good luck WVCAMPER. And it's OK to buy used gear here and if it's not what you wanted--resell it with an honest description. I've not bought or sold anything here But Phantom Grappler believes in wisdom of the herd. And I heard there is lots of buying and selling of gear here and that tells me the herd is happy to buy and sell gear here.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've gone through a couple of 1.1 ounce hammocks, which is why I don't use 1.1 ounce hammocks anymore. So far my PolyD 1.4 ounce hammock is going strong at around 30 nights. I've got other hammocks that don't get a lot of use.

As for suspension, I've been using some of my whoopie slings going on five years now and no degradation. I might replace them soon just be sure.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I've had the same HyperD 1.6 hammock since the fabric initially launched. I was out in my 6x6 hammock stand for most of the summer. Rain, sun, wind.. it saw it all. Since i got it, it's had at least 100 nights of use. The color is still pretty much pristine, showing only a little fading on the edge I tend to favor getting in and out of it.

Suspension on the other hand... I've gone through 3 pairs of continuous loops on this hammock. Although I wonder if that's more from wear from the hardware between the continuous loop and the whoopie sling.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Most suspensions are overbuilt and start to sow wear before they need replaced. For the whoopie the bury at the adjustable loop will start to look bad first. As long as strands aren't compromised you are fine. If you see a stand that is more than say 50% compromised then replace it. For straps keep an eye on the loops where rope may be wearing through it. Same deal it strands are broken then replace. It is a good idea to rotate your continuous loop if you have one so the wear gets spread out.

I have only worn out one hammock and it was made from questionable fabric I got a Walmart. Seeing runs it any holes is an automatic replacement. It is a good idea to unwhip it every year and look closely at the stitching in the end channel. The fabric where the stitching shouldn't have elongated holes.

Both of these are cheap to replace and for myself I replace everything just because I want that new hammock smell.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    CCH Robic 11ft, XLC
    Tarp
    CCH 11ft Tarp/door
    Insulation
    CCH 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dutch hooks clips
    Images
    Thanks everyone! That helps. I have been wondering about that, especially since I typically buy everything used when I start a new endeavor, to keep cost down and then make the plunge into new stuff when I have decided what I want. I just didn't want to waste money. Not much of that to go around anymore.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    And tree huggers could a hammocker make softeners for the eyes? I know on some of the nylon slings we use for rigging to cranes the eyes will have a sacrificial piece of leather sewn around the eye to protect the nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I replace everything just because I want that new hammock smell.
    Is that another way of saying that you don't want the old hammock smell?...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast