I'm hooked. I am new to the hammock world and haven't sewn anything other than quickie halloween attire from thrift store finds. So if you are afraid to get started - just jump in.
I am 5'4", 140 lbs, side-sleeper, backpacker.
After my first cut, I quickly learned to sew on both sides of where I wanted to cut in order to reduce the amount of down floating around my house
I wanted to use a single throw, so my outer layer is 40"x60", then used the remaining 30"x60" and velcro'd it into the outer layer. I thought then I could remove the smaller piece if I don't need that much insulation.
The velcro, while not labeled "Omni-tape", seems to be that: hooks and loops on the same piece. I sewed on approx 1-1/2" pieces around the perimeter. It bunches up some, I don't know if I care about that yet or not. I can always sew the two pieces together or use velcro all-around some day if it becomes an issue. I was planning on using velcro to attach the UQ to the hammock so I didn't have to fuss with the shock cords and the fit of the thing, but the 40" width didn't really work. On a final fitting, I binder-clipped the UQ to the top edge of the hammock but every time I flopped around, turned over to my other side, some clips popped off. So the tension is too much. Since then I tried the shock cords and they are not as irritating or cumbersome as I thought they might be
I used double-wide, double-fold bias tape for the channels and to finish all of the cut edges. Someone here said that using grosgrain made it difficult for him to cinch the short ends of his UQ and someone else mentioned Bias Tape. I looked up Bias Tape and it looked handy so I tried it. Because it's already folded, it works out great:
Here's the tutorial about Bias Tape I followed: http://www.positivelysplendid.com/20...bias-tape.html
I only wish I'd hemmed the short edges of the tape before attaching it to the quilt because with only the minimal amount I've slid the cords thru the channels, the edges have frayed a lot. I ended up using super glue on all of the bias tape edges to keep them from fraying. Big pain and not pretty, but seems to be working ok.
I made the UQ tapered, spending lots of time making my wife get in the hammock while i measured, taped, pinned, cut and fiddled to figure out the tapers. I don't know if I will regret this later, but right now it seems ok. I like how it fits nicely under the hammock without a lot of fabric drooping down.
Shock cord in the long edges.
Draw cord and cord locks on the short ends. Because of the tapers, they hardly have to be cinched at all. I put cord locks on both ends of the draw cord for now so I can cinch from either end.
In order to pull the UQ skyward a little bit, I put some of those velcro cord organizers on the shock cords. You know - the strip of velcro that you just wrap around your computer cords to keep them tidy. It works really well.
Here it is at the foot end: 1004151150a.jpg
And when on my side, I wrap the shock cord that's behind me with the ridgeline and it holds it up nicely: 1004151153a1.jpg1004151153b.jpg
When I'm on my back, I wrap the two shockcords like they are on the foot-end so it brings the quilt up around my shoulders.
I have tested this at 49.2 degrees wearing my usual: base layer long underwear and heavy socks. It does fine. I have a thin 3/16" pad from Oware.com as well as a Ridgecrest pad that I can add if needed. I'm going to continue testing as the temps are going down here in the PNW.
I have a Thermarest TQ that is rated to 35 degrees so tucking that around me suffices, and always have my fleece jacket at-the-ready if needed.
If I did this again, and I will, I would make the torso/shoulder area 5" wider for a little better coverage. Actually, it's fine because of the TQ, it'd just be less adjusting and fussing with it if it were 5" wider.
And like I said earlier, I'll make sure to hem the bias tape before installing it so the edges don't fray.
I cut 1.7 oz of fabric and down off of the quilt. The final quilt including suspension stuffs just fine into the original sack and weighs 20.5 oz.
So there you go! My first project. I love it!! Thanks for all the tips and advice here, it really made a difference!