Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest Camo
    Suspension
    Woopi Sling

Pre-Halloween Midweek Linville Hang Oct 26-30

I thought I would start the trip report thread for our Linville Gorge Hang.
    I had a great time meeting all kinds of folks like Hawkeye and Ken and Mackentire and all the rest.
    As far as a trip report goes Monday we all met up and and had a great time at the first hang enjoying Mrs. Burrito's peanut butter banana bread and where we were introduced to the Crow's Nest, Stormcrow's camo underquilt. It was really warm and comfortable for this trip at 13 oz of 800+ fill down. Ask for it by name.
    Then Tuesday it rained all day but that didn't dampen anyone's spirits especially when Stormcrow built a roaring fire in spite of the rain.
    On Wednesday we all enjoyed a liver mush brunch. I enjoyed my first experience with liver mush but I am sure Shug will be more descriptive about the beauty of liver mush in his posts later ;-) I also have to put a shout out of thanks to Suess for helping me with a creative solution to my sagging ridge line.
    Then Wednesday afternoon Stormcrow and I took a hike up to Table Rock. That was really cool as well. Here are a few pics from that hike to make you jealous that you didn't come with us. But I am sure SC's video will do it more justice than this little trip report and a few pics will be able too.
    But I think the high point of this trip, at least for me, and perhaps others was the Jerry Chair. Jerry W. made a super light weight (he thinks it is like 4 oz.) camping chair out of stuff he had laying around the house that inspired him. It was AMAZING and COMFORTABLE to boot. You must make him post the true description and directions soon, before he realizes he could market the Jerry Chair for money ;-)
    Thank you one and all for a really fun trip. I hope you all had as much fun as I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Thumbs up PHMLH Oct '09

Nice start off by Thr33 - Thanks. Great to have met you.

Link to my LVG Album

Where to begin. Well, Monday morning the anticipatory butterflies in my stomach had turned to bats by the time I got to Hangin' Burrito's home. We loaded up HB's gear and the had to use the roof rack for all the good eatin' Mrs. HB had prepared for us (don't worry, I got the depression out.). We had enough peanut-butter-banana-nut bread to feed an army - and it did. Kudos to Kris (Mrs. HB).

We got to the Louisa's where we met Hooch to do the obligatory tourist stuff prior to meeting Mac and Headcase out at the Conley Trail-Head. Once there we dropped down to a nice campsite to wait for the other incoming hangers.

After a fruitless hike on the Rock-Jock trail looking for worthy trees, we returned to point A and set up camp. A bunch more joined us including Shug and his cronies. We had the full spectrum represented - Newbies, Gurus, those new to the gorge, and others coming home to mama.

We lit out late Tuesday morning to meet those whom had hiked in from other trails, down at the river. It was a tough hike. All down hill in the pouring rain, over roots and rocks, muddy slides, and the constant reminder that a fall would be not be a good thing....and all worth it when we reached the river. Everyone scrambled to set up as quickly as possible to get out of the rain which persisted throughout the day.

This did little to quell the energy of the group. Packas became the subject of conversation as well as the many other pieces of rain gear being put to the test.

Stormrow showed his pyrotechnic skill by starting a fire in the pouring rain The evening was filled with stove show and tell along with getting to meet the new faces and rejoicing in seeing the familiar faces.

Wednesday morning was the Mushfest. I was a virgin up till that day. I considered it a right of passage in hiking the gorge. Quite tasty in my opinion. Following the fest, small groups and some soloists went off on day hikes while others, like myself, lazed around camp getting to know one another and continuing with the great oratory art of trail-time stories.

After dinner - back to the campfire for more great camaraderie. Lots of laughs, more 'stove-talk', and the exchange of ideas and information.

Thursday morning (my last day in the gorge) was great. The other non-sleepers and I had some hours to watch the dawn creep in around the gorge. Following breakfast was the silence of breaking camp. While there were some moving to the next camp, others, like myself, were just wondering where the time went.

Hangin' Burrito and I hiked back up Conley - much nicer. What a beautiful trail with amazing views. Mother nature was at full throttle. The colors were breath taking. The topography - humbling.

In conclusion thanks to all who spent great time and effort to pull this off

Thanks to all the other hangers for your wisdom and wit.

May we all hang again soon

To those that missed this hike - try not to next time!
    Last edited by Running Feather; 10-30-2009 at 11:06.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Looks like an awesome trip... Wish I could have been there. Heck, I wish I could make it to every group hang!

n0thing
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Man, do I love good trip reports! THANKS!
    Sorry to miss out (pesky job again!) but sounds like you had a little of everything (cept snow!)...I need to get me some livermush to try out!
    Keep the pics coming

OH yea...Jerry W...pics and direction for that camp chair. I've been considering one of those for some time!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up Glorious week to be a Gorge Rat!

Well I can truly say it was a good as I had hoped for and as short lived as I feared.

Met my pal Ken at Spence Ridge Trail head Tuesday morning around 9 am with the rain pressing down on us. Of course the first thing I noticed … in my hurry out the door that morning I’d left my front pack along with my new Packa laying on the dining room table. Not a great start to the day … but hey I was at the start of the trip I’d been waiting on forever (at least that’s how it seemed).

We shouldered up our over packed gear, strapped on the cooler of ice and Liver mush along with the bag of three dozen fresh Hardee made biscuits and Jelly & Mustard packs between us on a portage pole! We must have been a sight loaded to the gills with packs and this fiberglass pole between us … carrying that precious mush! BUT …. we weren’t about to disappoint Shug!

Not too bad down Spence Ridge to the bridge … little awkward and very little rain sprinkles hitting us along the way. Short rest at the bridge and we noticed folks camping in the cave camp … I’m sure they must be still talking about the sight of us lugging that pole between us across the bridge and up the slope to the Linville Gorge Trail.

Then it got gnarly … that was one awkward section of trail to be ferrying gear the way we did … but we made it … and in reasonably good time. Not bad for a couple old Gorge Rats!

Then as we approached the Conley Cove trail sign … there was our good buddy Glen (Mtncamper). What a great way to end the hike. ‘Course old Glen graciously takes my end of the pole and he and Ken finish up the walk into camp.

Glen’s nephew was still in the sack he loved his first night in a hammock so much! That later earned him the trail name “Nooner”. FOR SLEEPING TILL NOON … nothing else … ha! Of course in telling … he’s free to embellish!

Ken and I got our tarps up and the rain came with a vengeance! Talk about the good Lord looking after fools and children! Thanks to the big guy for that one.

Anyway … not too long after we finished up and got settled in … the rest of the ridge crowd showed up. Great to see how many showed middle of the week and in the rain yet! That's some serious dedication to hanging in trees!

Hey it was rainy and wet … but made for great sleeping weather and the gear worked wonderfully. I loved every minute of it.

It was great to meet all these folks from the forum finally. Little disappointed in not getting to meet Hooch. But maybe we’ll let him be a Ridge Rat!
    Hey HOOCH PM me and I’ll send you a patch … even though you couldn’t make the rest of the hang.

Millergear … glad you could join us at least for one night … hope to hear from you on your adventure around the south end of the gorge. Hope I’m busting trail when I’m in my 70’s … OH and if Millergear offers you something called Kickapoo Joy Juice … it will strip paint!!!!!

Well the morning of my second day … was glorious … light wind, bright sunshine, blue skies and a rain of multi-colored leaves … and the wonderful fresh smell of the woods.

Once a fire was underway we all collected fuel and started the frying of the liver mush! If you’ve had mush at home … it’s even better in the woods (as most things are) and the smiling faces of those eating it for the first time … or even the non virgin mush eaters … was something to see. OK … Seuss excluded … but we all can’t be enlightened eaters of mush! Ha just kidding Seuss … glad you were there! Hope to see your write up on your hike in! Now he … had a hike from hell! In the rain yet … down Pinchin!

Well everyone did their thing Wednesday … me included … and my thing just happened to be deeply involved in Observational Hydrological Engineering! Ok some folks call it sitting on your butt and watching the river … BUT it didn’t stop during my watch!

Wednesday evening’s fire and bull session was great … even got to see the actual “Jerry Rigged Chair” … lordy that boy’s talented! Hung my head in shame to go sleep in my HH set up just being that close to him and his gear! He’s got to be the DIY Guru! At least in my book!

Then it was Thursday … and the day I dreaded arrived … everyone packed up and headed in different directions. Not the end of the world cause I planned to hike out with Ken … go have a nice dinner at Louise’s and find a camp for the night in the gorge for one more night. Maybe up on the NC Wall with Shug and company … or one of my other favorite spots. Well Ken and I did have a good … actually beautiful hike out. Found some trash that we collected and carried with us and met Ongs-Hat at the trail head. Had his camp set up and was waiting Millergear. Oh and Ongs-Hat ... had a great friend in high school that I camped and climbed with named Steve Oliver ... dang if you don't remind me of him. Kinda scary actually. Got to find an old photo of Steve to share with you.

Ken headed home, I headed to Louise’s! Guess I got there too late to have pie with Slowhike … dang it. But I had a great meal of Chicken-n-dumplings, a cup of shrimp chowder and of course Rhubarb/Strawberry pie! Even put a whole one in the Jeep for the trip home.

Unfortunately when I got cell signal the blonde told me my little Cairn, Spencer was sick … so I decided to head home. He had a rough night but is doing fine this morning. Guess the med’s from the vet and a lot of rubbing behind his ears helped! Sure would have liked one more night in the gorge … but guess that will have to wait till I get back in country in November.

Guys … it was great … thanks for the friendship and companionship in the gorge. I hope you love it as much as I do. You’re all certified Gorge Rats in my book and I’d be honored to share a trail with you in the future. Hope you enjoy your patches. They are a one cutting patch … there are a few I’ve held back but when they’re gone … there won’t be any more made. So good souvenir of our time together this week!

Now if you would like to see some shots and short videos of the trip from me ... use the link below. I apologize up front for the poor quality didn't have the camera I intended to take! Did I mention I left some of my gear on the dining room table? Ha ... Mad Cow Disease must have kicked it! Feel free to copy ... download or whatever any shots you want to keep.

Last edited by Hawk-eye; 11-01-2009 at 09:41.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Outta the Gorge at around 9AM this morn.
    Sitting at a parking meter typing this ...... JerryW. and I pitched camp up by the Camel Humps after going up and down and up and down the MTS trail looking for each other. I decided to pitch down at the Camel Humps as there were some doable trees up from the cliffs in the woods. I heard a "hotty hoo" and replied with a loud Whoooo Buddy and it was JerryW way down the trail so we met up and made camp around 6PM. We hung out and ate and visited and around 9:30 pm I saw a headlamp on the trail way in the woods. Tossed out a loud Whooooo Buddy and it was Slowhike!!!!! He rolled in tired and smiling and actually carried in a piece of Strawberry Rhubard pie for me and JerryW. Jerry is not fond of it so I got the whole piece. Slowhike ... I love ya' man.
    Now heading to an old buddies house in Charlotte for Salmon on a cedar plank........
    I had a fantastic time meeting all the hangers new to me and known to me!!!!
    Ken and Hawk-Eye ..... I cannot even begin to tell you both how much it meant to me that ya'll hiked in that Hunters livermush and biscuits!!!!! I sooooo loved it!!!!!!
    It was special to me to have two old friends join us in the Gorge ...Hicks and The Turk ...... we have not all been together in 15 years. They LOVED hanging and were impressed with all of you.
    I will get my video done as soon as I am home ........ Thanks to Slowhike again for loaning me his battery for my back-up camera!!!!!
    more to come ..... Whooooo Buddy.
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Shug .. glad you enjoyed it pal ... even happier you got to spend some fun times with your pals again. We seem to never get around to doing that till some of them are just not able to make that happen. I know what it means to me.

Have a safe journey home. Sorry I didn't make it up with you guys last night. Waited for Slowhike myself at Louise's ... really sorry that didn't work out too. Tim ... we live too close together not to visit the gorge and Louise's again soon!

So Ken, Glen, Nooner, Slowhike ... give you any ideas?

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Very Nicely Done Ongs-hat!!!

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Great works Hawk-Eye, Ken, and Ongs-Hat. I need to get on the ball with presentation.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Nice work Ongs! I enjoyed that!

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970