Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock For Full Time Sleep/ Bed Replacement

I am at a loss, and I am really trying to find information about having a full time hammock indoors. The problem I am having currently is that my camping/ nylon hammock is FREEZING ME from below. I have looked into under quilts, they are a good option, but I am also looking into alternatives and am having a bit of trouble with a couple of questions:

Has anyone tried making a DIY hammock out of cotton canvas duck/ or Linen Canvas for full time sleeping? One of the perks I have is that I could make my hammock as wide or as long as I want, and I feel that this could be a great option.
    I look forward to DIY-ing the hell out of camping material in the future, but feel that I am still so new to hammock sleeping that I do not know how to get the most out of my hammock or what my options are that would suit me best. This makes me lean to buying something from someone more established. I am currently in a hiking hammock from Amazon by Ohuhu, and my buns are freezing. There is also a large ridge that forms in the middle that I think is happening because of either the material or where the hammock is attached at its ends which is making my sleep not as optimal from when I first got the hammock.

I can see the benefit of buying a Mayan or Brazilian, but how many people do full time sleeping in a hammock from someone like Dutch? I really like his products, his prices are more than fair, but are they wide enough for full time sleeping? I found two Brazilian hammocks that I think would work from amazon-land, but I also really like the camping hammock feel, its versatility and find myself browsing dutchwaregear.com

Any help/ thoughts would be very very appreciated!

Here are the two Brazilian hammocks I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ECQ6LU/...I3JY84QM5LV15A

And

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Hammock
    Eno/Yukon
    Tarp
    8x12
    Insulation
    Pad / Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk
    I am a full time hammock bedroom sleeper, I either line the hammock with a blanket or i use the therapedic pad.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    You should head north of the OH border and join us at the MI Fall Hang this weekend.

Lots of hammock gear there to check out.

I'm sure you'll get your questions answered.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=113241
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    You're losing heat via convection. Throw a wet sheet over yourself on a hot night with a light breeze blowing and sleep outside - you will get very cold and discover air conditioning.
    Insulation is your best friend, the hammock material is pretty much incidental. I'm a full time, outside sleeper in Montana and use down quilts to warm my geezerdly carcass. There are also good synthetic quilts that will keep you warm, too. If you're sleeping indoors, I'd suggest a single season quilt. They're not expensive and work well indoors and on summer nights.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

I think that attending the MI Fall Hang would be amazingly helpful, but my weekends (unless planned) I tend to have a very short tether. I have seen group hangs referenced before and they have definitely peaked my interest.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    full time I use a UQ just a basic one from DD and sheet on top or fleece
    I use a brazil and mayan style and have used a nylon
    the canvas style brazil needs washing every month or so since it kinda stretches into a shape and needs to be not sure how to say reflattened

I like the UQ since I can vent it easy etc...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealweaz View Post
    I am a full time hammock bedroom sleeper, I either line the hammock with a blanket or i use the therapedic pad.
    Not a full time hammock sleeper, but about 3 nights a week. +1 to lining the hammock with an additional blanket. It is super cozy once you have adjusted it (its shifts a little when getting in the hammock).

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I sleep full time in a PolyD hammock and require insulation below me year round, even in Florida. I'm making a new one to replace it that will be three layers. PolyD on the outside for firmness, fleece in the middle for insulation, and bamboo rayon on the inside because it just feels so darn good against the skin.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I sleep in a hammock most nights at home. I tried a Brazilian hammock in the beginning, but found that I prefer low-stretch fabrics for a hammock. Natural fabrics like cotton feel nicer than nylon and polyester, but they are also a lot heavier, more expensive and feel different. I don't sleep naked and use a pillow - so I don't have much skin-contact to the hammock and touch is secondary.

I also always use an underquilt even when sleeping indoors. Down is nice, because it's so warm and light, and gives a "dry" warmth. But synthetic insulation certainly works as well, and is cheaper. I have even used normal duvets (wedged between two hammocks) with good success.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    The Costco down throw UQ I just built would work indoors quite well. And it cost me $25 in materials and 2 hrs or less of time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast