Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

1/2" grosgrain for tarp tie outs?

Hello, i am making a new Xenon tarp and have been doing a lot of different designs on paper first. I have made quite a few tarps in the past and have always used 1" grosgrain and regular D rings. This time i ordered the Beastee D rings from Dutch. I didnt realize that they are made for 1/2" grosgrain. I assume that 1/2" must be durable enough to hold up to the abuse of wind and storms but i would like to know what you all use. if you are using 1/2" for the connection loop to the d ring are you using 1" as reinforcement for the corners? Thanks for any advice!

"Susie"

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    The few tarps I've made I used the 1/2" grosgrain/beastee dees with no problem. I was in a gusty storm in the Catskills two weeks ago with no issues. I just reinforce the corners with another piece of tarp material, but I know some others might go heavier.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    why not simply fold the edges of the 1" crosgrain in the middle of the strip and sew the edges to the center area, and then loop through the 1/2" D-rings? Basically you're tapering the tape to 1/2" in the middle, just perfect for the 1/2" D-rings, then with the 1" ends, you can put as normal on the tarp fabric... with reinforcement if needed. Me, I've simply put the tape ends inside the hem before hemming the edges... then fold out and stitch a few lines to make it stay...it has worked very well for my silnylon tarp and I haven't seen any ripping out. Cleaner looking too, because theres no box or patch of reinforcement except for the two ridge line corners in the Ogee tarp.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    why not simply fold the edges of the 1" crosgrain in the middle of the strip and sew the edges to the center area, and then loop through the 1/2" D-rings? Basically you're tapering the tape to 1/2" in the middle, just perfect for the 1/2" D-rings, then with the 1" ends, you can put as normal on the tarp fabric... with reinforcement if needed. Me, I've simply put the tape ends inside the hem before hemming the edges... then fold out and stitch a few lines to make it stay...it has worked very well for my silnylon tarp and I haven't seen any ripping out. Cleaner looking too, because theres no box or patch of reinforcement except for the two ridge line corners in the Ogee tarp.
    I like this idea a lot! this seems like it would be just as strong as the 1" and i can still use the Beastee D rings. Thank you!

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    This is what I did on my Xenon winter tarp (thread coming soon). It worked very well and looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WeWalked View Post
    This is what I did on my Xenon winter tarp (thread coming soon). It worked very well and looks cool.
    I'll like to see this. I just order some xenon and I'm still haven't come up with a plan yet for it. How big is your tarp?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I've done both the 7/8" folded (no sewing needed), and used 5/8" with 1/2" BeastieDee's. Either will work no problem.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by duckyy View Post
    I'll like to see this. I just order some xenon and I'm still haven't come up with a plan yet for it. How big is your tarp?
    I should be finishing it tonight. Got caught up with work. Then ill post with the specs. This is what the tieouts look like

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWalked View Post
    I should be finishing it tonight. Got caught up with work. Then ill post with the specs. This is what the tieouts look like
    That looks great. Good clean finish look. With the wider Grosgrain you takeout all the slop.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Thanks Dutch! I agree. I considered sewing them on the underside only, but decided that I liked the lack of "slop," as you put it. This fabric is great. Very easy to work with and a deep rich color. Well done!