WBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ/ SB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

DIY....well...sort of

Ok..so my wife asked me to "get rid" of our old down comforter, since she got a new one. I quickly agreed and put it in the garage for the right time to tackle the down removal project. Today was the day...even with feathers everywhere, I was able to get the better part of a kitchen garbage bag full of pretty nice down out of it. So, now I have down, and would like to get a backup UQ. Here's the problem...I don't know how to sew.(at least not yet that is). Is there a company or someone that makes a "ready to be stuffed" UQ? I could probably stumble through closing it up, but I'm not ready to take on the whole thing.

Also, is there a good entry level sewing machine that I should be on the lookout for? I'd like to learn, just not on a big project like this.

Thanks for the tips and guidance!

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Wilderness Logics has you covered with respect to a premade quilt shell.

http://wildernesslogics.com/QUILT-SHELLS-QS.htm

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXPir8 View Post
    Ok..so my wife asked me to "get rid" of our old down comforter, since she got a new one. I quickly agreed and put it in the garage for the right time to tackle the down removal project. Today was the day...even with feathers everywhere, I was able to get the better part of a kitchen garbage bag full of pretty nice down out of it. So, now I have down, and would like to get a backup UQ. Here's the problem...I don't know how to sew.(at least not yet that is). Is there a company or someone that makes a "ready to be stuffed" UQ? I could probably stumble through closing it up, but I'm not ready to take on the whole thing.

Also, is there a good entry level sewing machine that I should be on the lookout for? I'd like to learn, just not on a big project like this.

Eidson has it right. There used to be another but I don't think he is still doing it. I wasn't even aware of wl so thats good to know.

In reference to a sewing machine, I would either check a local quilting/sewing/repair shop. or check out Craigslist, goodwill, salvation army, habitat stores.

Check out ramlinrev's videos. I would highly recommend an older machine, like 60-80 years old. Something made with medal and only sews straight. I have a singer 15-91 and it is perfect for all the diy I do. I can go forward and back. I can sew thru leather, denim or silnylon. I did not only have to learn how to sew, but I also had to learn what machine to look for, how to fix it and then use it, thread it, adjust it. Then practice. I knew nothing when I started. I now sew for my son troop and many others that needed it.

greatest thing about this forum is, many of us will help in each step. just ask.

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ/ SB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sweet! Local guys too.....Thanks Edison

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Eidson has it right. There used to be another but I don't think he is still doing it.
    I believe you were thinking of Underquilts.com, but from my understanding health concerns with the owner/s halted the business unfortunately. I "believe" WL just started producing these shells earlier this year.

Sweet! Local guys too.....Thanks Edison
    Glad to help with what I could and good luck with the project! Try and share in the DIY forums, we love to see the work of others and I haven't seen anyone share their work using WL shells yet.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Very glad I peeked at this thread. I picked up a down comforter for a steal at a yard sale recently. I may have to order the shell.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    I believe you were thinking of Underquilts.com, but from my understanding health concerns with the owner/s halted the business unfortunately. I "believe" WL just started producing these shells earlier this year.

Glad to help with what I could and good luck with the project! Try and share in the DIY forums, we love to see the work of others and I haven't seen anyone share their work using WL shells yet.
    I was and wasnt sure if he was still with us.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

KingsFord is selling one of his thread injectors. Ask him about it since we're in the area.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

• + New Posts