Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images

MY First DIY Bridge Hammock

I just finished my first DIY Bridge hammock. I used HikerDad's Videos, and it worked out fine, I think.

Materials Used:
    1. Body: 1.6 Hyper D Woodland Camo
    2. Side Suspension: Mule Tape left over from a Fibre Cable run done in my shop last year. Yes my shop has 1gig Fibre access (Be Jealous)
    3. The rest was pretty much exactly as HikerDad suggested in his videos, Dutch Bridge Ends, Alum Spreaderbars 7/64 Amsteel dogbones.

The only things that is different is my woopies area a pair I made from Dynaglide a few months back, that have Dutch Bling, Whoppie hooks, rather than Lark Heading the whoopies onto the dogbones. I am constantly experimenting with this stuff and being able to easily remove the whoopies is often very convenient.

Here are the pics;
    2015-10-06 12.33.13.jpg
    2015-10-06 12.33.04.jpg
    2015-10-06 12.04.05.jpg
    2015-10-06 12.33.22.jpg

By the way I am 6'2" 320 Lbs, and this hammock took my weight fine. Would it put up with regular camping use? I am not sure, I have hung in a 1.6 gathered end about 20 times and no issues.

To be honest I wanted to build this to try out a Bridge Hammock. I have seen them at many hangs and always wanted to try one, but the owners are much smaller than me, and I did not want to be in a position of ruining someone's hammock, and have to buy them a new one.

After laying in this thing for about 30 minutes, I think I will stick with Gathered end.

You may see this up for sale soon.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    By the pics, your project turned out looking great!

I've been curious about bridge hammocks for quite some time as well. However, anytime I think about starting to build one, I come up with projects that supplement my current setup and keep pushing the bridge back.
    I had actually planned on using the woodland camo hyperD as well for my build. Maybe someday I'll finally get around to it.

Since I've never had the pleasure of experiencing one, may I ask what you didn't like about it or at least have you still preferring your GE?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Nice work.

Most people find bridge hammocks to be most comfortable when they are hung at a flatter angle than the standard 30° used for gathered end hammocks.

20-25° is typical. Because this places more stress on the suspension, I don't recommend dynaglide for suspension, although I do use it for the dog bones.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Nice work.

Most people find bridge hammocks to be most comfortable when they are hung at a flatter angle than the standard 30° used for gathered end hammocks.

20-25° is typical. Because this places more stress on the suspension, I don't recommend dynaglide for suspension, although I do use it for the dog bones.
    Yeah those whoopies were simply convenient. And I do not make my whoppies out of Dynaglide anymore as I have noticed some of mine get "sticky" and the bury does not slide so easy. Not sure why, might be the batch I got. Also it is just easier to work with 7/64 Amsteel than the thinner Dynaglide. I have some left I might make soft shackles and continuous loops out of. I had thought to make my dogbones out of it, but did not have enough.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post

Since I've never had the pleasure of experiencing one, may I ask what you didn't like about it or at least have you still preferring your GE?
    Even though it's looks very wide, my shoulders were right on the edges, and the mule tape was digging into the edge of my shoulders. I do have a very wide chest and shoulders. I think my jacket is 56.

From gmcttr's post I will hang this at a lower angle 20-25 degrees and see if it get's better. Though I doubt a lower angle will make the hammock wider, it may change the overall feel of the hammock. My testing spot is built for gathered end hammocks so the hang points, big steel loops bolted into my shop, are a bit too high for a bridge hammock I guess.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Nice work.

I used a Dynaglide whoopie sling set on a recent outing. I initially picked two trees that were a just a wee bit too far apart and I did not hang the mule tape tree hugger high enough to compensate. This lowered the hangle pretty low, and my SRL was tight enough to play like a bass guitar. I had been in the hammock about 5 minutes when all of a sudden the hammock slid down about 10 to 15 inches. This put me about 3 inches off the ground so I had to roll out. Once I was up and looking at the cause I realize, as I assume you can guess, the whoppies had slipped. In fact the only thing stopping them from pulling through the long bury completely was the large "node" ", "Lump" whatever you want to call it, I had put at the end of the line. I reset, picked two different trees and slept fine for two nights. When I went to tear down I noticed that the Mule tape had left an indentation in the tree. It was very slight and honestly you would not know it was there and caused by my actions if you were not taking the huggers off to see it.

I am a big person, I weigh more than I wish. I don't mind pushing the gear a bit to see where I can take it. I know I can hang fine from Mule tape and Dynaglide. That said I have already changed to 1 inch tree straps.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' X 9'6"
    Images
    It looks great. I'm digging the woodland camo.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    My DIY Coscto 40-50 degree UQ works on it pretty well. Of course it's only 55 here right now.

2015-10-06 16.28.01 HDR.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    That's another nice thing about bridge hammocks, it is very easy to get a good fit and seal from the UQ.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Been looking to make my own some day they are more Comfortable

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast