Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Suspension
    WB straps

Lightweight Solo Tent for Philmont

I know, wrong forum. I've also posted on BPL and WB, but figured converted ground dwellers may have some gear they don't need anymore.

I've been a hammock camper for a few years. The only time I've gone to ground since 2011 is for Philmont in 2013. If you didn't know, Philmont does not allow hammocks In 2013, I shared a reasonably light tent with a fellow leader. We are planning our trek for 2016 and this time I want to use a solo tent and want to keep my Big 3 to less than 6lbs. I have the pack (Gossamer Gear, 28oz or so). I'm planning on making a down quilt, and with the pad,that should a little over 2 lbs. This leaves me with up to 2 lbs for the tent. Less will be better.

I haven't done tons of research on light one-person tents, but I do like the Tarptent Notch and the Lightheart Solong 6. I can pick up a TT Protrail for about $225 plus shipping, but the end entry is not my preference. I'm open to other options. My requirements are:

- 1 Person, or 1+
    - 3 season
    - Under 2 lbs
    - Prefer double wall, but am open to either. In either case, ventilation is important.
    - Can't require tying to trees for support (Philmont rules)
    - Can't be a Bivy (another Philmont rule)
    - Must be fully enclosed (i.e. can't be a tarp or fly covering a ground cloth, per Philmont)
    - I will be using trekking poles, so that will be available to support the tent.
    - Budget is up to $200, but would prefer to be around $150.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz
    If this is a one time use tent, then I would pick up a used tarp tent over on Whiteblaze or Backpacking Lite. They come available on the for sale forum quite frequently. I used a double rainbow (which is really a 1 1/2 person tent - if there is such a thing) and I was very pleased. I already had the rainbow so I did not shop for another. However, if I was looking now, I would look for a Moment or Notch. Both have side opening vs end opening and are easy to pitch and enough room to be comfortable. Wind can get pretty bad out there in a storm so keep that in mind when shopping. The Notch comes in at 27 ounces per their web site. There are other options - and I have no affiliation with Tarptent. I have just been pleased with mine.
    Philmont is a great experience. Have fun and accept that you cannot go to Philmont and be ultra lite! I consider myself fairly weight conscious and I stepped on the trail with 32 lbs including food, water and crew gear. I haven't carried that much in many years (and haven't since then). Your pack will be fine but it will probably be full.
    Good luck and let us know about the trip.
    Jeff.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. (Snagged an 'experienced on on WB- exactly like someone already mentioned.)

This was my GTG for 2012 trek with our crew. Fit two adults (both over 200#s) comfortably, with packs outside and shoes, jackets, etc. in vestibule.
    http://www.backpacker.com/gear/tents...l2-tent/<br />

Love this tune...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmy4muz9tl...mp3?dl=0<br />
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    A little heavier than what you are looking for but the price is right on the Alps Lynx 1.
    The other option would be to set up your hammock using 2 poles and some stakes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I have a friend with a 2-person Z-packs cuben tent. I don't remember the model but she got it and wasn't very happy (not the UL type). I'll see if she's looking to unload it....

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Thanks, all for the replies.

Jcreamer, I've been to Philmont and understand we can't be UL once crew gear and Philmont food is taken into account. But that's not a reason to those all weight considerations out the window. I'm looking on Whiteblaze and BPL and have a Nemo Obi Elite and a BA Fly Creek UL1 under consideration. I like that the Nemo is side entry, has its own poles and is still sub 2 lbs. The Notch is still my preferred find, but the one I see on WB has lots of miles and is little overpriced considering the mileagE

TrailH4x, no thanks on the BA UL2, I'm set on going with a 1p. Why? Because I'm the Scoutmaster and I said so. ; )

Daneaustin3, no thanks on the Alps. Still too early in the search to compromise on my weight goal.

Zukiguy, Hexamid Solo? Bathtub floor and bug screen included?

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I picked to a bear paw wilderness net tent 2 that weighs about 18 oz. With the right tarp you could still be under 2 lbs. I've only set it up in my yard. I planned to use use it on scout treks where there is little chance of finding a hang spot. Although I planned it to use under my superfly, I think I'll look for something with beaks that might be more designed for the task. It was $99 used on BPL. Like you, I didn't want to spend much on ground dwelling gear.

I have a Mountain Laurel Designs duo cuben Grace tarp and Yama Mountain Gear net tent 2. With poly ground sheet and stakes I believe it's 26oz. Both are brand new.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Suspension
    WB straps
    nwoodworth1390 and slbear, I'd rather go with a set up that has a fly designed around the net/tub for ease of setup.

The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards the TT notch. Double wall, double side entry, adequate vestibule space, can be pitched with just net or just fly, simple set up. Just gotta find one for the right price.

Hammock
    Hammeck, HK2001 custom
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Kevlar
    Have you looked at the REI Quarter Dome 1? This is the solo tent I have and it's just over two pounds. I keep going back and forth whether to sell it or keep it for a time when I won't be using a hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast