Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I've got a bad back.....

well, not a BAD back but it occasionally gives me problems. I'm interested in camping hammocks....they seem like a good way to reduce bulk & weight in the kayak. I haven't had a chance to use one yet but I am concerned with the sag in the middle causing strain in the small of my back. Have any of you who may have back issues, used a hammock without problem? I seem to have fewer back problems when I sleep on a firm mattress and I'm concerned that a hammock won't offer enough support over a multi day trip. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice & suggestions!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have read that many people with back issues find hammocks much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Typically one lays diagonal in a hammock which provides a flatter lay than laying in line with the hammock. A bridge hammock would likely be a little flatter and allow more shoulder and foot room over a gathered end hammock. Hammock camping does not significanltly save weight and bulk compared to a tent/sleeping bag/pad system. The biggest difference is the comfort hammocks provide.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I also have a bad back and find hammocks are the way to go for me. I also sleep on a very firm mattress.

You do not lay in hammock in line or sometimes called banana style which will cause the sag and end up being very uncomfortable. You lay in the hammock with your head on one side and the feet on the other side so you end up laying rather flat.

Strongly recommend you attend a group hang in your area and or find a fellow hanger close by so that you can try some different hammocks. As there is no one perfect hammock what I find comfortable might not be what works for you. Most hangers find a hammock in the 10.5 to 11 feet long to work best. Width is usually dependent on how tall you are. I am 6ft2 and 275+lbs and like my hammocks about 64+ inches wide.

Good luck and welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Agreed.... I have a back that causes me fits on a mattress....in a hammock, I don't feel it at all. 😀

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    one of the reasons i started hammocking is i'm getting older. my lower back didn't like laying on the ground, even with a nice inflatable mattress (exped syn 7). i stumbled on hammock camping while doing search for something else and gave it a try. i bought an ENO because they're inexpensive and took it out for a try. best sleep i've had outdoors in a very long time. i find a hammock conforms to my body and supports everything from my shoulders on down in a way no mattress can possibly do. no back pain, no sore joints or anything. i recently added an Amok to my gear and i really enjoy it. i am however seriously considering one of the Dream Hammock T-Birds. I saw the website yesterday and was amazed. they look incredibly comfortable and roomy and my back seems to prefer the lay in a traditional hammock.
    Last edited by JmBoh; 10-09-2015 at 10:38.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Same story here. I have a mildly bothersome back. It gets pretty sore after about 7-8 hrs in a bed. I can spend much, much longer time in the hammock--those winter nights are long and the mornings oh-so cold . NO pain in the morning, feel ready to go.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    If you prefer a firm mattress you may want to look at some of the hammock fabrics with less stretch. PolyD, Hexon, etc. Some of the more stretchy nylons, while still comfortable to me, aren't quite as "firm" as the low stretch fabrics.

I pretty much agree with everyone on hammocks being better for my back. I don't have back problems to speak of, but any air mattress or ground pad always left me with a sore back in the morning. Not so with the hammocks. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Degenerative Disc Disease L4-5-6, cant sleep on the ground for more than 3 hours before heavy pain... that diagonal lay with a gentle curve, most times I sleep about 8-9 hours, and wake very refreshed. Just a simple DIY gathered end has changed my camping style dramatically, and I am also seeing weight savings in the pack. Do It!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Hammeck, HK2001 custom
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Kevlar
    I have a bad back (herniated disks) and since switching to a hammock, I don't wake up stiff and numb

Images
    "Bad back" is pretty vague but FWIW I too have back issues. Oddly I've never had problems while backpacking or in the hammock.

Sitting around the campfire without back support results in all sorts of moaning and groaning from me though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast