Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images

help me

Just getting into hammock camping. Already have a hammock, now just need to know what i need to properly hang it. have been using it in my backyard with some thick rope from Lowes. what size rope and what else would be needed to properly hang and not cause damage?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    Just getting into hammock camping. Already have a hammock, now just need to know what i need to properly hang it. have been using it in my backyard with some thick rope from Lowes. what size rope and what else would be needed to properly hang and not cause damage?
    Welcome to the forum!

What kind of hammock do you have?

There are several methods of hanging hammocks safely, but some are quicker and more adjustable than others. One of the more popular methods right now is a ring buckle setup using webbing. Details can be found here.

Also, there is an extensive thread about it here.

Good luck!

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I'm not sure what kind of hammock it is. My brother-in-law got for my birthday a couple of years ago. It has kinda of s hooks on the ends. Right now I'm using a very thick rope. I've used it in my backyard as well as set it up at the dock at the lake I go to. I'm wanting to get back into camping and a friend o mine through mt biking suggested hammock camping. The one night i did sleep it outside my house was one of the best night sleeps I ever had sleeping outside. What size webbing should I use and how long should it be. Also what kind of rings do I need and where can i get them

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of hammock it is.
    Have you looked throught the 'hammock manufacturer's' forum? Maybe one of those looks familiar?

As far as webbing goes, the size depends on what it is made of. If you choose something like polyester that stretches very little, then a smaller size like 1-inch will do. If you choose something with more stretch, then maybe you'll want a larger size.

For rings, I can't give many recommendations except to say that I use the same descending rings that most here seem to: Amazon Link I chose those because they are relatively cheap and light and have a weight rating (unlike some typical hardware store rings).

I suggest you spend some time reading some of the threads here before jumping into buying hardware. There are several different ways to make a good suspension setup for whatever hammock you have, and everyone seems to have their own preferred setup. Most any question you will have is already answered somewhere, so it's worth the time to go through the archives here. After you read up, there's an active bunch of hammockers here with lots of ideas and opinions...

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    thanks, just went to the manufacturers part of the site and I believe mine is a trek light

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho
    what size rope and what else would be needed to properly hang and not cause damage?
    Definitely check out the archives. Lots and lots of good info. I think most use some sort of webbing, at least at the tree. The width of the webbing (as opposed to wrapping cord around the tree) prevents bark damage while hanging. That's pretty much the Hennessy approach - lightweight cordage from the hammock to the tree, then webbing around the tree itself. Others (myself included) use webbing pretty much the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    As far as webbing goes, the size depends on what it is made of. If you choose something like polyester that stretches very little, then a smaller size like 1-inch will do. If you choose something with more stretch, then maybe you'll want a larger size.
    I'll disagree a bit here. The size of the webbing, all else equal, speaks to its load rating, not how much stretch it has. You ALWAYS want the least possible (long-term) stretch in a suspension, whether you're using webbing or cord or whatever. I also wouldn't trust anything without a load rating attached to it, but you can find a variety of rated cord and/or webbing on the net with a minimum of searching.

I personally use Ed Speer's 1" poly webbing because it's light, strong, cheap, and has low-memory stretch - once you stretch it out, it stays that way. Which tends to avoid embarrassing butt-on-the-ground moments later on Many, many types of suitable webbing out there though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I'll disagree a bit here. The size of the webbing, all else equal, speaks to its load rating, not how much stretch it has. You ALWAYS want the least possible (long-term) stretch in a suspension, whether you're using webbing or cord or whatever. I also wouldn't trust anything without a load rating attached to it, but you can find a variety of rated cord and/or webbing on the net with a minimum of searching.
    You're right about the load rating, for sure. I answered him the way I did because on webbing that tends to stretch more, a wider (and thus stronger) web tends to stretch less than a narrower sample.

I personally use Ed Speer's 1" poly webbing because it's light, strong, cheap, and has low-memory stretch - once you stretch it out, it stays that way. Which tends to avoid embarrassing butt-on-the-ground moments later on Many, many types of suitable webbing out there though.
    Yeah, lots of choices. Personally, I like this, but you do have to sew (or in my case have sewn) the loops in after you get it.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You're right about the load rating, for sure. I answered him the way I did because on webbing that tends to stretch more, a wider (and thus stronger) web tends to stretch less than a narrower sample.

Yeah, lots of choices. Personally, I like this, but you do have to sew (or in my case have sewn) the loops in after you get it.

I'm using one inch webbing and rings and have been strickly using knots. sewing would give it a cleaner look but it's certainly not necessary.

Miguel

PS Descender rings can also be found at REI for $2.50.
    Last edited by Miguel; 05-14-2007 at 21:00. Reason: Added info.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey, welcome to the forum. I live in Lexington, also. There are a couple members close to teh area as well. So, welcome aboard! Hope you can make it to the SEHHA Hangout in June!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Which tends to avoid embarrassing butt-on-the-ground moments later on
    HEY! I resemble that remark!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast