WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle

Xenon sil winter tarp

11' Ridgeline, 13' from door end to door end, 6.5' between tie outs, 3.25' doors, just under 17oz in the stuff sack (no lines). Line locks on all tieouts. 4" center cat cut, 1.9" door cat cuts. The pictures suck because i was battling a stiff wind. The doors do close up nice and tight, but the wind and crappy park soil/mulch made proper setup difficult. I gave up and snapped the pictures.
    uploadfromtaptalk1444591587966.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444591609778.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444591633927.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444591653205.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444591674328.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444591696489.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444591724135.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444591753327.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Beautiful job! thanks for the pictures. I have some Xenon sil in that same color, waiting for me to finish other projects. I like the Lineloc 3s.:very convenient. I've been using them on the ridgeline tie-outs too. I have them on my yard tarp that has been deployed for months now. No problems, even with slick dacron line.

Images
    Looks great.

Hammock
    DIY DL GE 1.1 2nds
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Looks awesome! I just ordered some this weekend from Dutch in green for the same winter tarp design.

I noticed that you reinforced the RL with grosgrain. Do you think that it's required with these light weight fabrics? This will be my first tarp build and was planning on just doing reinforcement on the ends. Now it seems like I'm seeing most of them are using grosgrain on the RL and/or edges.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Thanks guy. she took a lot of work but I think it turned out well. Can't wait to spend a night under it.

Those linelocs are pretty effective. In all my tests they snapped before the line (lawson glowire) slipped. i wanted to build in a weak point at the tieouts that would break before the tarp rips. They also allow for a super tight pitch with minimal effort. I didn't think to use them on the ridgeline because i usually use a continuous ridgline with prussics, but it is a good idea.

I don't think its necessary to use grosgrain. This fabric is pretty tough. That said, it makes the sewing easier and (for me) much prettier, especially with my binding foot. It also does give me sone peace of mind re strength. Some say it doesn't require seam seeling either but I'll likely seam seal on the inside anyway.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    The xenon seals nice with a silicone/mineral spirits mix. Doesn't discolour the fabric (darken) much at all. I sealed top and bottom of my RL seam.

Quote Originally Posted by WeWalked View Post
    Thanks guy. she took a lot of work but I think it turned out well. Can't wait to spend a night under it.

Those linelocs are pretty effective. In all my tests they snapped before the line (lawson glowire) slipped. i wanted to build in a weak point at the tieouts that would break before the tarp rips. They also allow for a super tight pitch with minimal effort. I didn't think to use them on the ridgeline because i usually use a continuous ridgline with prussics, but it is a good idea.

I don't think its necessary to use grosgrain. This fabric is pretty tough. That said, it makes the sewing easier and (for me) much prettier, especially with my binding foot. It also does give me sone peace of mind re strength. Some say it doesn't require seam seeling either but I'll likely seam seal on the inside anyway.
    Have you tried using a bit of shock cord with your glowire? It will help keep it taut and probably won't ever snap another lineloc or rip your tarp.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by duckyy View Post
    Have you tried using a bit of shock cord with your glowire? It will help keep it taut and probably won't ever snap another lineloc or rip your tarp.
    Ha. I don't think he mentioned the Line Locs breaking as a bad thing. I interpreted the comment to mean that, as a test, he exceeded any reasonable tension on the line and the Line Locs, just to see where the rope would slip and/or the hardware would break. It sounded to me like they performed well.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    Ha. I don't think he mentioned the Line Locs breaking as a bad thing. I interpreted the comment to mean that, as a test, he exceeded any reasonable tension on the line and the Line Locs, just to see where the rope would slip and/or the hardware would break. It sounded to me like they performed well.
    You are correct. It is a built in fail point that also happens to be very convenient. high winds out of nowhere are not uncommon here, so i wanted something to hopefully break before the tarp in the event it gets to snapping around in the wind.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is a really nice job.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast