WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images

ideal topquilt size? regular or short for 5'6"?

i'm 5'6" and shopping for my first top quilts, and was wondering if i should get a custom size that better suits my size? a lot of the "regular/regular" sizing is "up to 6'2"" for example, would it be better if i got a short size that's good "up to 5'8""?

i assume at 5'6" with a regular top quilt that there would be a lot of dead space around the feet, at least 1'. is it better to have a top quilt that's more snug, versus one that has a lot of space? or is it easy to scrunch up a loose top quilt to create a snug fit?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The fit is up to you. I like to be able to scrunch up my TQ.

I had a mummy bad I used when I was much younger and used a T***. I loved the warmth of the mummy bag but hated how restricted it felt and I never slept good in for that reason. When I first started camping in a hammock I opened it up and used it as a TQ but the hood kept getting in the way so I ordered a TQ, I got as big ( wide and long ) as one as I could get at the time ( stock, not custom made ). I like mine to be roomy and long enough to pull over my head if I want. I have two RevX TQs from EE ( a 0 and a 30 degree ) and do a great job keeping me warm and comfortable. For the summer times I have a synthetic TQ from Arrowhead that I also find comfortable.

Are you car camping or backpacking ? If car camping then go with the slightly larger size as weight is not an issue. If backpacking then get one recommended for your height.

I see you are located in VA. If you can attend the Halloween Hunger Hang at the end of the month you will have a chance to check out some different TQs ect. The Terminator ( my wife ) is 5ft 3 and had a TQ she will be using that you could check out and get an idea on sizing.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    i'll use it mostly for moto camping with the occasional backpacking, so i guess size/bulk won't matter too much. sleeping on the ground in a mummy bag, i do prefer that my feet be snug up against the bag. but in a hammock i also find it easier to keep my feet snug up against the same mummy bag and i do like scrunching up the bag too. sounds like i'll be ok with a regular size top quilt.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Also depends on the shape for me (and the temp rating). For quilts below 20 I only use full insulated footboxes. I'm 5'10", so...

On my 20 degree topquilt with a full taper I bought it long so I can slide it down and bring enough of my feet/knees out of the footbox to bend my knees while the upper edge remains around my neck. This quilt is 84" and I can also pull it completely over my head when it gets really cold or early in the morning to block the sun. Remember that a fully enclosed footbox chops a few (maybe 6") off the advertised length for most vendors. And I leave some room in my cold weather quilts to stuff clothes or even pac boot liners in the bottom overnight to help them dry with

Conversely on my 40 degree topquilt, I have a cinch and draw footbox and something with less of a taper. That one is only 78" and is maybe a couple of inches too long. But with less of a taper I don't need to slide it down to bend my legs nor do I put stuff in it overnight to dry. Plus I can still pull it over my head when the footbox is drawn closed.

Hope that helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    These are the sizing specs for short Hammock Gear Burrow.

I'm 5'7" and the short is more than enough length.

Burrow 20˚ Short
    Length* 69”
    Width 50” 50”
    Fill Weight 11.3 oz
    Total Weight 17.84 oz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarps
    Insulation
    EE Top and UQ
    Going with a Short probably makes most sense. While scrunching the extra can work, if you're doing that it's kind of wasted anyway so why bother? Plus, if there's more volume under your quilt that your body is trying to warm up, it'll be a little less efficient temperature-wise to go with something larger (probably not a huge difference, but I'd guess when you're pushing the quilt to the limit you could feel a difference in how long it takes to warm up).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    i did some math and realized if i went with a short and added 2oz extra fill (1oz body, 1oz footbox) that it's about the same cost as a regular but would have more down fill per dollar. i also played around with the costco quilt, which is 70" long, to get a feel for how a short topquilt would feel and it felt better than scrunching up a mummy bag that's about the same size as a regular topquilt. so, short it is!

I'm 5'8 and use the regular. I have the JRB 52" wide quilts for that occasional use in the t**t. I thought about a short for my 20F bag as I know it's not as efficient from a thermal perspective to have a lot of extra space in the quilt, but I decided on the regular so I could stuff the next day's shirt and shorts in the bottom of the footbox so they would be pre-warmed.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Went thru the same calcs awhile ago.Bought the Hammcok Gear Burrow 0 in a short because it is still longer than I am tall.So at 66 inches it is plenty long enough.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    66"? i thought it's spec'd at 73"?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast