ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

HG Incubator 0 vs Mt. Washington 4?

Greetings everyone! I haven't been as active on here as I'd like over the years, but I have a question I'd like to ask. I've finally got enough pennies saved up for a high quality, full length winter UQ. I'm torn between two options though, the HammockGear Incubator 0 and the Jacks R Better Mt Washington 4. Similar price points. Similar temp ratings. Slightly different Features. I regularly camp in winter with average lows in the mid teens, and use my down bag rated to 15 degrees. I use a humble ENO singlenest and Atlas strap setup.....What would you choose and why? I've been researching and researching and researching on here and everywhere on the web...

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

HG Incubator 0 vs Mt. Washington 4?

I have gone through a few different ones for hiking purposes. I bought and sold my hg inc. 20 then bought the mt Washington 3. I also own a mt. Washington 4. Something about the cut, the way it lofted made me a jrb fan for down UQ's. But each person looks for different things. You can't go wrong either way.
    Last edited by Firesong; 10-15-2015 at 22:23.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I only own HG Incubators; I have been eyeing the JRB underquilts because they receive a lot of praise. But so far I couldn't get myself to order a JRB uq for several reasons:

• JRB underquilts are quite a bit more expensive (even with the current discount) - which would be OK if it would mean better down, better fabric or the like. But...
    • JRB underquilts are only using 800FP down, and you have to pay extra to upgrade to Activ-Dri (which I would recommend). HG underquilts come standard with 850FP water resistant down.
    • As a result, JRB underquilts are heavier than HG underquilts - e.g. the Mt. Washington 4 weighs 29.5oz, the standard Incubator 0° only 26.4oz. 3 oz are a big deal for me, especially considering how much money you usually have to spend to lighten your load...
    • And lastly you cannot pick colors at JRB. That's OK if you wanted a green underquilt or don't care, but if I spend that much money, I would like to have the underquilt fit the color-scheme of my hammocks.

However, there are reasons to buy JRB nonetheless. I haven't used one, so I cannot say how it compares in fit and ease of use with HG. Also, HG uses the "leg shelf" (baffles that decrease in height in the leg area, to save weight where most people don't need as much warmth) - some love it, some hate it. I have never had problems with the leg shelf, so I appreciate the weight savings.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I only own HG Incubators; I have been eyeing the JRB underquilts because they receive a lot of praise. But so far I couldn't get myself to order a JRB uq for several reasons:

• JRB underquilts are quite a bit more expensive (even with the current discount) - which would be OK if it would mean better down, better fabric or the like. But...
    • JRB underquilts are only using 800FP down, and you have to pay extra to upgrade to Activ-Dri (which I would recommend). HG underquilts come standard with 850FP water resistant down.
    • As a result, JRB underquilts are heavier than HG underquilts - e.g. the Mt. Washington 4 weighs 29.5oz, the standard Incubator 0° only 26.4oz. 3 oz are a big deal for me, especially considering how much money you usually have to spend to lighten your load...
    • And lastly you cannot pick colors at JRB. That's OK if you wanted a green underquilt or don't care, but if I spend that much money, I would like to have the underquilt fit the color-scheme of my hammocks.

However, there are reasons to buy JRB nonetheless. I haven't used one, so I cannot say how it compares in fit and ease of use with HG. Also, HG uses the "leg shelf" (baffles that decrease in height in the leg area, to save weight where most people don't need as much warmth) - some love it, some hate it. I have never had problems with the leg shelf, so I appreciate the weight savings.
    Where are the weights of the HG quilts listed? I can't find them on their site, but I might just be missing it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Just go to the underquilt in question; scroll down half way; click on the "SPECS" tab (next to "DESCRIPTION").

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Just go to the underquilt in question; scroll down half way; click on the "SPECS" tab (next to "DESCRIPTION").
    The specs tab isn't showing on their mobile site. I should have thought of that.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I owned both... and eventually sold my JRB quilts. There was nothing wrong with the quality... I just found the HG suspension easier to dial in and adjust. You can over think this - really don't think there is a bad decision between the two. HYOH

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a 20 degree incubator and it is plenty toasty and will cover any sleeping area in an ENO (I have a doublenest that I use on my turtle dog stand).

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I will agree that the stock suspension on the JRB quilt a pain.
    I sewed in Line loc 3's into the loops that come in the corners and used shock cords...
    = awesome setup

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow (Double)
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    I just picked up my HG incubator 0 and Borrow 0 today. I live just a few miles up the road so I picked it up personally and was given a short tour of the place. They were busy working on someone's new incubator 0. I headed for the nearest park where I could hang my hammock and dial in the UQ. I love the colors. The bottom quilt is cinnamon brown and my borrow is black on the inside and Purple on the outside. I also purchased a purple pillow. (Purple is the color of Royalty and at least in my hammock, I am KING) Napped for about 1.5 hours at 45*. I was plenty warm. Hoping to give it a real shot at the Ohio Hang on Nov. 27.

I opted for the Incubator 0 over the Mt. Washington 4 because even at sale prices, I could get the Incubator 0 with 2 oz overstuff cheaper than Mt. Washington 4. FYI - I own the Mt. Washington 3 and love it so the only difference was the price.
    Last edited by revsbentley; 11-01-2015 at 19:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast