Hammock
    11' Custom Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    LSOH Razor Hex
    Insulation
    LSOH Down Toaster
    Suspension
    Single Line Susp
    I bought one of these recently on massdrop. Stated 10.5’ length, actual 9.3’ length. I had a long talk with the rep at GT. Sent it back over a month ago. Still haven’t seen a replacement. I too like the camo pattern.

It is a cool camouflage. Kinda wide and heavy for my taste, but for the sale price it could be purchased and cut down/resewn with a bit left over for some stuff sacks. Wish I knew how to use a sewing machine.
    Sam
    Last edited by sffar; 10-12-2017 at 05:20. Reason: Spelling

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I bought one of these recently on massdrop. Stated 10.5’ length, actual 9.3’ length. I had a long talk with the rep at GT. Sent it back over a month ago. Still haven’t seen a replacement. I too like the camo pattern.
    Just as I was seriously considering ordering one. The difference between stated length and acutal length seems to be a problem of many brands that offer this type of hammock (= parachute panel hammocks). I was seriously pissed off to discover that the Ticket to the Moon hammock I bought was not 10'6" but rather 9'6". Turns out, they measure the length from hook to hook.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    If it's from one of the "big guys", it's junk. Same as the big horrible Walmart, Microsoft, Amazon...all big losers with nothing to offer.

(if you missed the sarcasm, go back to bed and catch a few more hours)

After trying at least 8 different hammocks, I find my Grand Trunk single parachute to be the most comfortable...by a LONG shot. I can't explain why; it's just fabric gathered at the ends like all the others. I was on the "cottage only" bandwagon until I had to reluctantly pick up a Grand Trunk out of necessity (stupid me forgot the hammock for a trip). Certainly a blessing in disguise now that it's my goto hammock.

I get the shop local/USA/small businesses thing. You usually get more options, customization, and a lighter option. But that doesn't mean I totally write off the big guys.
    Add me to the GT fan club. The GT Double is my every night sleeper.
    Dave

"I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults". Molly Ivins

Hammock
    Various gathered-end types
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ, SF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Add me to the GT fan club. The GT Double is my every night sleeper.
    You may have commented in the past, but I don't remember. Do you have any idea why this would be so much more comfortable for me compared to other hammocks? The material is all I can think of since the size and construction is the same as my SLD Tree Runner (I actually took the suspension out and laid them both flat to compare) and I believe my Warbonnet Traveler. The only difference is the two-tone color which requires that extra seam to stitch the pieces together. Maybe that's doing something? Reducing calf ridge somehow?

It's funny how everyone is different. The seam between the panels was the thing I couldn't stand, even though I do like the two toned look. Good there's something for everyone!

So I gather that, besides not adhering to some common standard of length, the “wide market” Amazon hammocks, or the double ones at least, typically have seams even when made with a uniform color fabric?
    Not berating them, but just wondering.
    Sam

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    COGS Hex/Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sffar View Post
    So I gather that, besides not adhering to some common standard of length, the “wide market” Amazon hammocks, or the double ones at least, typically have seams even when made with a uniform color fabric?
    Not berating them, but just wondering.
    Sam
    That is correct. The majority of parachute nylon hammocks use a 3-panel design- even if they use only one color. If you look at a video review of the GT Kryptek hammock on YouTube, you will see the seams joining the panels together- even though it's all the same color/pattern.

Thanks rweb82. Good to know. Good to know about the length variations as well.
    Sam

Hammock
    WB XLC, ENO DN, GT Double, Henn Exp
    Tarp
    Henn Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Who was snobby in this thread?
    One just gets the impression reading some of these threads that GT, ENO, etc...are frowned upon because their the "big" guys.

I have nearly a dozen hammocks now including a couple cottage brand hammocks but my most comfortable go to hammocks are Grand Trunks.