Hammock
    WB XLC, ENO DN, GT Double, Henn Exp
    Tarp
    Henn Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Oldgringo, I'm with you on the GT Fan Club. The GT Doubles are the best sleeping hammocks I've ever owned. If I find a better one I'll definitely get it but hasn't happened yet. My HH Explorer and WB XLC both have a calf ridge that just prevents me from getting a restful sleep. I've got a couple ENOs as well but the fabric used on the GTs is so much better.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saharrison67 View Post
    One just gets the impression reading some of these threads that GT, ENO, etc...are frowned upon because their the "big" guys.
    Well, in most threads on the topic I have read, the "big guys" only point out, that hammocks of brands like ENO are often short and fairly expensive for what they are. That's not snobbery but simply the truth. Sometimes I get the impression, that some people are very sensitive with regards to their choice. I'm pretty sure that if some big brand would start to sell a decent 11' hammock, people would recommend them. At least I would.

Quote Originally Posted by saharrison67 View Post
    I have nearly a dozen hammocks now including a couple cottage brand hammocks but my most comfortable go to hammocks are Grand Trunks.
    That's great. I have read a lot of good feedback on GT, and I almost ordered one the other day. I contacted GT to find out what type of fabric they use for the hammock in question, to make sure that it's not too stretchy for me. I haven't heard back from them, but after reading Firesong's comment about the length being a lot less than advertised, I won't buy one. I have spent enough money on short hammocks to be fairly sure that I won't be happy with another one.

Hammock
    Various gathered-end types
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ, SF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My GT single is 10', exact same size as laid on top of my 10' Trail Lair. I think some companies, probably the cheapo knockoffs, sometimes measure from end to end of the included loops/hooks. So say a 10' hammock is more like 9.5. Buy and try...more important here than just about any other piece of kit.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    My GT single is 10', exact same size as laid on top of my 10' Trail Lair. I think some companies, probably the cheapo knockoffs, sometimes measure from end to end of the included loops/hooks. So say a 10' hammock is more like 9.5. Buy and try...more important here than just about any other piece of kit.
    I'm willing to buy and try up to a certain point, but I have to pay international shipping and customs if I want to try a GT. And hammocks like this one are not that easy to sell on if you don't like them. In addition I know with a 99% certainty, that I won't be able to sleep in a single layer hammock made from a lighter nylon fabric than 70D. And GT doesn't specify which fabrics they are using. With some of their hammocks it's a 1.1oz nylon, and I know for sure that that's too stretchy for me. Also, the only ~10' hammock that I have ever been really comfortable in is the WBBB. I even didn't like the WB Traveler, although the hammock body is identical. I have had good luck with 10'6" hammocks, though, that's why I would have been willing to try GT. But if it's only 10' or less, I don't want to spend any substantial amount of money on it.

Hammock
    Various gathered-end types
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ, SF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I didn't like the Traveler either. I chalked it up to the fabric being too stiff. I'm not sure but the UQ just never hugged me properly on that one.

The Grand Trunk parachute I speak of is spec'd at 10' x 5'. I can confirm that after comparing to my SLD Tree Runner.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    You may have commented in the past, but I don't remember. Do you have any idea why this would be so much more comfortable for me compared to other hammocks? The material is all I can think of since the size and construction is the same as my SLD Tree Runner (I actually took the suspension out and laid them both flat to compare) and I believe my Warbonnet Traveler. The only difference is the two-tone color which requires that extra seam to stitch the pieces together. Maybe that's doing something? Reducing calf ridge somehow?
    No idea, Mark. They're just big, luxurious hammocks. I hang them with lots of sag, and get a crazy amount of diagonal. So much diagonal that I use an assymetric sispension on my underquilt (KAQ).
    Dave

"I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults". Molly Ivins