View Poll Results: Integrating tarp ridgeline with suspension, is it possible?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're crazy, it will never work!

1 4.76%
  • You can do, AND it will be lighter!

10 47.62%
  • The only workable setup is going to be heavier than separating the suspension and tarp systems

5 23.81%
  • I know you're crazy, but I don't know whether or not this is possible.

5 23.81%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Wouldn't this idea be greatly simplified with Cinch Bugs? Could even use the little hole to attach the tethered Dutch Hook.
    Would it be simpler? Yes...perhaps.
    Would it offer two water breaks? No. Would it be as easy to use? I find the normal cinch buckles much easier to use because of the slider. The cinch bugs are nice and small, but hard to operate under tension with cold hands.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Would it be simpler? Yes...perhaps.
    Would it offer two water breaks? No. Would it be as easy to use? I find the normal cinch buckles much easier to use because of the slider. The cinch bugs are nice and small, but hard to operate under tension with cold hands.
    Then why not a Whoopie Hook instead of the Dutch Biner? Simpler, lighter...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    FireInMyBones: thanks for posting your video! I actually came across this before, but had forgotten about the shelter portion, I was so intrigued by the UQ integrated into the hammock! Thanks for reminding me.

I think, since right now I have a SUPER light DIY Dynaglide & kevlar tree strap UCR system (with soft-biners) and since zing-it is so light, it might not make sense to integrate with my suspension... The UCRs are great but the length of bury required means less room on the suspension line to attach a tarp.

I have also been experimenting with a modular soft-biner-like connection system to allow me to interchange my two hammocks without fussing with knots or adding heavy hardware, and am going to think about a way to have the UCR also attach to the tree strap in the same way, so that for short hangs I can remove one or both UCRs... any way, once I refine this system a little bit more I'll write up a post about it.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Then why not a Whoopie Hook instead of the Dutch Biner? Simpler, lighter...
    Agreed. I've switched to that recently, but I have not updated the video due to some issues with edit software.

Quote Originally Posted by aero-hiker View Post
    FireInMyBones: thanks for posting your video! I actually came across this before, but had forgotten about the shelter portion, I was so intrigued by the UQ integrated into the hammock! Thanks for reminding me.

I think, since right now I have a SUPER light DIY Dynaglide & kevlar tree strap UCR system (with soft-biners) and since zing-it is so light, it might not make sense to integrate with my suspension... The UCRs are great but the length of bury required means less room on the suspension line to attach a tarp.

I have also been experimenting with a modular soft-biner-like connection system to allow me to interchange my two hammocks without fussing with knots or adding heavy hardware, and am going to think about a way to have the UCR also attach to the tree strap in the same way, so that for short hangs I can remove one or both UCRs... any way, once I refine this system a little bit more I'll write up a post about it.
    There was a a thread a while back about a SLS, single line suspension, that used UCRs. I can't find it right off.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I never could stand the HH tarp hanging off (well, sagging off) the ridgeline. While Derek Hansen at The Ultimate Hang thinks that hanging it with shock cord is an improvement, I don't. I'll stick with independent tarp suspension.
    Derek's video actually shows NO shock cord added and he makes a point of saying so. I don't like the integrated tarp idea either because having the tarp getting hung concurrently with the hammock means the possibility of packing and unpacking a wet tarp with the hammock body. I want my tarp separate and able to be pitched before putting the hammock under it. Derek's method is a definite improvement for both comfort and tarp tautness if you want use the stock HH system.

I won't do it. You won't do it. People with a stock system MIGHT want to do it...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    I don't like the integrated tarp idea either because having the tarp getting hung concurrently with the hammock means the possibility of packing and unpacking a wet tarp with the hammock body.
    Well you can just make some easy disconnect for the hammock from the suspension system... then you set up the tarp then the hammock... I understand that getting the tarp tensioned correctly is not straight forwards, but there is no reason why you need to put your hammock in with a wet tarp or set up a hammock before the tarp.... I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea, but it is certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by aero-hiker View Post
    Well you can just make some easy disconnect for the hammock from the suspension system... then you set up the tarp then the hammock... I understand that getting the tarp tensioned correctly is not straight forwards, but there is no reason why you need to put your hammock in with a wet tarp or set up a hammock before the tarp.... I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea, but it is certainly possible.
    No disagreement. Just pointing out that Derek's video shows a better way to put up a totally stock HH system than the way it is typically shown. Many believe there are better things/ways than that system. I do. Obviously you do too.

I think it takes great care and practice to make an integrated system work without tarp sag and/or damage to the tarp, but it can be done. You're still constrained by a fixed tarp height (over the hammock) that can be less than ideal or (often) an increase in minimum hang distance. In theory, it's nice to not have extra stuff strung around the tree, especially when ANYTHING around the tree needs to be a minimum of 2" in width in some locations.

Integration is a great goal. I just haven't seen a great solution as of yet.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    ...I want my tarp separate and able to be pitched before putting the hammock under it...I won't do it. You won't do it...
    I keep mine separate and can still set my tarp up first (though it took a while to get used to just how much tension to put on it). I will continue to do it and love it. I understand why you wouldn't want to because HH had turned me off from an integrated system for years.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I keep mine separate and can still set my tarp up first (though it took a while to get used to just how much tension to put on it). I will continue to do it and love it. I understand why you wouldn't want to because HH had turned me off from an integrated system for years.
    That "quote" of yours definitely took those last two sentences out of context!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    That "quote" of yours definitely took those last two sentences out of context!
    Then I apologize. It can be difficult to read the thoughts behind the words. I tried to focus on the main points that I could speak to. Those that I could not, I did not address. I am happy to consider your opinion more in depth with additional information. Thank you for pointing out my error. Were you not addressing the issues with tautness on stock HH models?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123