Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing HELP

Sewing HELP

Just set up a singer 99 and tried to sew some ripstop. After a couple of hours getting through birds nests on the bottom side, I finally got a series of stitches . The ripstop is so thin that I think I have the tension set correct at least I cant pull out either thread. But the fabric is puckering. That is my question how do I fix that? I searched for sewing tips, if anyone has a good site for gear sewing help please let me know. Thanks

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    You can start here and then watch the rest or ramblinrevs videos.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ils&videoid=47

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Sounds like your tensions aren't set right.
    Last edited by lenle01; 11-01-2009 at 22:13.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    are you using a 09 or 11 needle? a sharp or a ballpoint? is the bobbin tension set to let the thread slide out with just a tiny tug?
    A few questions to lead the way..

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is best to leave the bobbin tension alone. Unless you have already messed with it. Thread injectors are designed to adjust the tension on the top thread. That's why it is easier to adjust there. The "bird's nest on the bottom is a sure sign of the spool tension being too loose. Make sure the presser foot is down. ( I know.. it is like asking if the computer is plaged in) but it happens now and again.

If you have messed with the bobbin tension then you will have to mess it again to get it back to within specs.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Once the tension is adjusted correctly, to avoid additional puckering, hold the fabric taunt with both hands as you sew....ZQ
    Last edited by 2Questions; 11-01-2009 at 23:01.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Definitely hold the fabric taught on both sides of the needle, as 2Q mentioned. You might also try loosening the presser foot tension. It sounds a little backwards, but it has worked for me.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Images
    if it's puckering it's possibly too tight (tension). also, the stitches should look identical on both sides of the fabric.

i've found when i really need pucker free stitching to turn bobbin and top tension about as low as possible. you're probably best off getting the bobbin tension set and then leave it alone though like rev said. if you have the bobbin tension super low for pucker free stitching, then it will need adjusting again if you need to sew thicker stuff (several layers). it's probably easier for you to have a med bobbin tension that you can sew a variety of thicknesses with.

like someone mentioned above, putting tension on the fabric from in front and behind will reduce puckering as well, and i've found lighter fabrics generally sew better when handled that way.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've found when i really need pucker free stitching to turn bobbin and top tension about as low as possible. you're probably best off getting the bobbin tension set and then leave it alone though like rev said. if you have the bobbin tension super low for pucker free stitching, then it will need adjusting again if you need to sew thicker stuff (several layers). it's probably easier for you to have a med bobbin tension that you can sew a variety of thicknesses with.
    I hope this isn't a thread hijack, I think I'm asking the same question, just more specifically.

I just got a new machine the other day and it started out with the same issues - mass of thread underneath. I've played with the thread tension and gotten it to usually come out fairly even, but still get the puckering and it doesn't feel like it's going through quite right. It also snaps the thread on occasion (leading me to believe everything is too tight).

The machine is a Tacsew T20U industrial and it's a monster compared to my previous machine. The last owner had used it to sew cushions and covers for boats, mostly with SolarMax, so my guess is that the bobbin tension may have been set fairly high (it's not terribly easy to pull bobbin thread out). The pressure foot is probably too tight as well.

The best I've got right now is a manual for a Singer 20U, which is just about the same machine (the Tacsew manual is in Japanese? with very poor english translation nearby). On the page to adjust the bobbin tension, I'm just not finding the screw that the manual is pointing out.

Anyone with experience on these types of machines know how to adjust the bobbin tension - and pressure foot?

Thanks.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Typically the thread comes out of the bobbin under a leaf spring. The screw that holds that spring in place should be the one you want to adjust. Work is _small_ increments and then leave it alone.

The presser foot tension should be a knob or furl nut or dial in the vicinity of the presser foot column. That's the part of the assembly that goes into the machine and holds the presser foot attachments.

That's the best I can give you without a pic.
    What thread snaps?

If it is the lower thread (bobbin) then you are likely dealing with a bobbin assembly issue. If it is the top thread the bobbin is not likely the culprit. Where does it snap?

Remember... problem in the underside of the thread line means a problem with the SPOOL thread not the bobbin. Problems with stuff on the top of the seam is the bobbin and those are rare.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast