Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Wow! Super turnout! Lookit all them cars. I got there early last year so no problem parking. Where do people park who come in later?
    There was plenty of room at the wrong parking lot that we parked at last year. LOL. Wont be makin' that mistake again.. Although it was a nice hike.....in the dark..losing half of my stuff...over snow and ice.....with my non- hiking....night blind....deaf wife. Yep, good times.

Actually it WAS good times and I smile remembering it! Man, I can't wait to see everyone again! I miss the HIGHLANDS!

~sc
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    There was someone from Asheboro NC who wanted a ride with me to Mt Rogers...

Anybody recall who it was?

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Parking spaces...

If any of you would be willing to meet up at a near by location & car pool from there (providing you have enough room for another person & gear), there a couple places I can think of...
    Coming from the East or South, there is the Log Cabin Restaurant on Hwy 58.
    Coming from the west, there is the town of Damascus.
    Probably a place for those coming in from the North, but I'm not familiar w/ that way.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Carpool is excellent idea..I can haul one or two if anyone wants to meet in Damascus, i'll be coming that way. I can be at Dot's in Damascus at noon--look for me at the bar drinking beer, that should make the drive up to Greyson fun

Hammock
    DD FrontLine
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Stock
    Um, guys.....I just found this string, and I don't have enough mental power to get through 25 pages. Could I get a brief rundown on this hang? (Sort of a Mt Rogers For Dummies?)

Time, location, and such?

Thanks!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PRKy View Post
    Um, guys.....I just found this string, and I don't have enough mental power to get through 25 pages. Could I get a brief rundown on this hang? (Sort of a Mt Rogers For Dummies?)

Thanks!!!!!
    Page one will give you 90%
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    Do these look like good directions? I'll be coming south on 81.

Acer
    Acer, I haven't been there, but I found these notes in another thread. It sounds as if you're headed to a different parking area and trail to the AT.
    Others, can you help us get on the right track?
    David

"when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
    1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.
    there's a fee for overnight parking & you'll find envelopes there to put your cash or check in. it has a tear-off to put on your mirror or dash w/ a number that matches the number on your payment envelope.
    this just lets the rangers know that you paid the parking fee for that vehicle. you don't have to put the info about arrival/departure date, & destination if you don't want.
    the cost is $8.00 for a two night stay (per vehicle).
    as you continue up the park road you will pass the entrance to the picnic area on the right. keep going.
    a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
    as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight backpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.
    as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
    strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.
    last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.

at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
    there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trail is obvious & you just stay on that.
    you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
    after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
    take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.
    the whole walk took me about 40 minutes.

extra note...HOI told us last year about a short cut on the trails that saved us from having to make that last creek crossing.
    when you see the 2nd wide creek just down the trail in front of you, there will be a zig-zag pony gate up on the bank to your left.
    if you go through the gate & continue up the hill, you will come to the AT near wise shelter in about 5 minutes.
    there may not be much of a trail to see, but just go strait up hill away from the road through an area that's mostly open w/ grass & a few shrubs.
    if there's any snow on the ground & others have already used that path, it will be easy to follow their tracks."

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PRKy View Post

Thanks!!!!!
    This is next weekend and it is our yearly southern winter hangout. There is usually great turnout and great food. We have a community meal on Saturday and great raffle for $10 a ticket.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DD FrontLine
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Stock
    My dad will be 88 on the 30th. Unless we have his party relatively early in the day, I won't be able to attend this. Sigh....

Have a good time ya'll!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My dad will be 88 on the 30th. Unless we have his party relatively early in the day, I won't be able to attend this. Sigh....

Have a good time ya'll!
    Congrats to your Dad. Tell him Happy Birthday from some guy at Hammock Forums...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast