Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Man, there were some awesome hangs goin on this weekend...and ALL of them involved RAIN! (even my solo overnighter was filled with RAIN)
    seems like good company and rain set-ups were the order of the weekend.
    and the nasty flu bug going around....BLAH!

Thanks for the picks...another beautiful place...millions of waterfalls!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Had a great time getting to know folks and talking about gear and getting to see different setups up close. Of course, rain and Sipsey Wilderness go hand in hand, I loved it, my camera, however, is about to get an appointment with Nikon maintenance services

I heard Skippy made it home and is doing better, I'm sure he'll check in later. Hope everyone else got home and dry, but remember, that shower wouldn't feel as good if you weren't as tired and muddy

And O'Brians .... oh man, those steaks, wish we had pics, but we were all so busy eating we didn't think about it
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great pics as usual Hetairoi. Sorry to here Skippy got sick. I really feel for him as I missed this great trip because of the crud. I guess it is a good thing I came down with mine before the trip and not during. There would have been two of us for you guys to help out of the woods.

Really glad ya'll had a good trip though. Sorry I missed seeing you guys and Doug, it looks like held your own being the only horse and buggy in and amongst a bunch of Indy cars! You did us ole farts proud. Catch you next time.

Dale

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    funny to see MacEntyre in ALL the different hang pix ...
    The first day in Sipsey, I drank Linville water!

Looking forward to seeing CapitalBill again at MAHHA!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    Snugfit

Mini Sipsey Report

WOW - After seeing the pic's I REALY wish that I hadn't missed the group!

My mini report:
    Arrived at the Thompson Creek trail head at 5pm Friday. I had the itenerary and a map of the trails so headed out down 208 in the rain with the intention of joining the HF guys. By the time I got to 224 it was dark but the limestone colored water running down the trail provided enough light to follow. When I reached 204 the trail begain dropping into the canyon and got much darker, I think that 204 is just for foot traffic. Out came the head light and I continued on. After a while I came to some rock crossings and was decsending, all that could be seen was in the bubble of the head light and surrounded by rain. In case this is sounding negative, it wasn't, at one point I just started laughing when I realized that there was no place that I would rather be just then. Later I began hearing a roaring noise that sounded like a raging river and looking down and to my right was a drop off. Then the trail just seemed to end in a rock wall. It was time to turn around and find a place to camp, I would not find the guys tonight.

Hiking back up-hill I found two good trees right off the trail. Now this is where hammocking realy began to shine. The tarp went up (JRB 10x11) out came the hammock (Speer with Snugfit and JRB no sniv) and it was home sweet home. I fired up my little stove, made hot tea, put on some dry clothes and leaned back in the hammock dry, warm and happy. What a contrast to the weather just outside the tarp. I fell asleep listening to the rain and had the best nights sleep in recent memory.

The next day I walked down to see what I couldn't figure out before in the dark. The roaring was the most beutifull waterfall that I have seen. It poured over the edge of an undercut cliff and fell maybe 40 or 50 feet into a lovely, lush cove. In the cove is a giant tree and looking across is a smaller falls that is just as high. Imagination could not draw a prettier scene. I sorely missed having a camera. Where the trail seemed to end in the dark ,realy it just went down steeply over some rock into the cove and then along the creek. A litle farther along there is a cave or split in the rock that you can walk all the way through. Now I know from Angry Sparrow's report that I saw just a small part of this amazing area and that I just missed the group on Saturday. I hiked back out and left the trailhead at about 1pm.

Thanks to all of the HF members that planned this hike, I hope to meet you some time in the near future. Your enthusiasm in getting this together got me to make the long drive up from the gulf and I would not have done that otherwise.

Thanks again
    Ken

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images

Pictures of Saturday!

I didn't get any pictures on Friday There was no way I was going to take my camera out in that rain (Flood) My wife called me on the way and told me to come home that their was a tornado warning out! I said NO! I'm going this is what we do! I left the truck at 5:45 pm by 6:00 If was flooding, I mean Hard! It made for whitewater hiking! I used the water to find the trail most of the time. Then there is the Sipsey mile! The next trip I will post pictures of what a Sipsey mile looks like! I wish I had pictures of Bigbamaguy going over and under trees,climbing muddy banks. I fell 3 times Friday night going in and I'm the bony fart! I got to a group of guys around 8:30 that was under a bluff shelter and messed with them a while Hoping it was our group but it was NOT! so I took off! Fast! walked a few more Sipsey miles and got to Bee Branch at 10:00pm and it was waist high? and running fast! so I headed back 1/4 Sipsey mile to a campsite and realize my pack cover was halfway off and all my stuff was getting wet I was thinking the whole time about one of those Packa jacket's! It would have worked Great! I got my tarp out and made due. I squeeze the rain water out of my socks and underwear and hung them on my ridge-line and laid down at 11:00 listening to the Great Sipsey river fly by hoping it didn't rise up to my hammock! I got up Saturday morning dreading putting on those wet cold clothes, but it wasn't that bad! I headed down to meet angrysparrow and billybob and to cross the creek. I used a big tree and got over to find Skippy in a bad way We all made plans on which way to go and pass around his stuff to carry out for him. Skippy is a real trooper! my hat is off to him! These pictures are of the waterfalls at the Big tree! I got more!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior
    Getting old is not for sissies! My mother in law Opal!
    It's me It's me It's Mr.T

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images

more pictures of Saturday

This is a Great waterfall, I don't think I took enough pictures of folks, the next time I will do better! Hey whats that guy doing in the camo? I got pictures of Skippy and if he gives the word I will post them WARNING!! he don't look good! I got more pictures of Sunday coming next! I wish you guys would got to seen the waterfall with the rainbow! P.S. look to the right of Doug!
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Thursday - After meeting up at the Sipsey Rec area, we shuttled ourselves to the Caney Creek FS gate and hiked the trail to the spectacular Upper Caney Falls (double waterfall), and then on to the Lower Caney Falls (triple waterfall) to make camp for the night. The total hike was only about 2 miles, but they were *'Sipsey Miles'. ..............................................
    Pics courtesy of Hetairoi.

* Sipsey Mile = a unit of trail measurement equivalent in distance to one standard mile, but that includes no fewer than two boulder hops, four large blow-down traverses, and two (typically small) stream crossings, many of which are in conjunction with one another and often on sloping ground.
    In my lack of experience of only 2 trips, I have found Sipsey miles to be relatively rugged miles compared to most places I have been. Slippery creek banks and rocks on sometimes steep sections, and oh so so many blow downs!

One of the lesser known, yet more spectacular( at least in the sense of discomfort ) land marks relates to the surprisingly rugged terrain, and I believe the strange blueish land mark is known simply as "Sipsey Toe"! As in " Good Old Sipsey Toe, Sipsey Toe AL( instead of Rocky Top, TN)

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images

Sundays pictures

We had a good time Saturday night! I wish a million times over that I had taken pictures of Doug's cousin. Doug's cousin scared the crap out of some girls that came up! Doug, please have someone take a picture and post it here for all to see! The next pictures are going to be waterfalls that we checked out Sunday afternoon.

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Billybob, I got a Sipsey toe also! Purple with blood and clear stuff leaking out under the nail! I learn two good lesson's. First cut my toe nails before each trip even if they don't need it! Second, Don't put cheap insoles in your boots. They work like a sponge that holds lots of water in your boots!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast